What's new

Magic Mushroom Grow Kit?

audiohi

Veteran
So add spores or mycelium and keep things clean and this works to grow shrooms?
Just clean the bag, cut a corner off, add spores, and tape the corner open with micropore tape to allow air exchange.

Would the substrate that is used to move the colony to have to be sterile?
Use coco coir (coir vermiculite gypsum) it does not require pasteurization.

I am in California and right now the laws are tight, but might get real loose soon. Until then, where do I get syringes and spores that will sell to me?
I'm not sure. Reddit traders will probably work with you.

I would prefer mycelium as that takes a lot of work out of the equation. Long ago I bought jars of sterile rice and a mycelium tube in a kit. Transferred the mycelium into the jars with a sterile pick they included. Worked great, I remember going into a closed room that had been shut down for air flow for 12? hours and also holding my breath while doing the transfer.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
ok, I went and read up on this a bit after posting. I think I will try it. Seems easy. I tried pressure cooking rice and it always got contaminated. Nice to make it easy for myself. A couple years the shrooms will be legal in cali I think.

moose eater

ok, I went and read up on this a bit after posting. I think I will try it. Seems easy. I tried pressure cooking rice and it always got contaminated. Nice to make it easy for myself. A couple years the shrooms will be legal in cali I think.

I sent you a PM with a name and link to my preferred spore source. Excellent selection, good customer service, fast shipping, and some of the better prices I know of.

BudToaster

Veteran
just picked another fruit (Golden Teacher) where the stem is as thick as the cap ... 28.5g fresh picked.

always seems like the substrate is too dry. spritzing with H2O at least once per day. i wonder about maybe watering from the bottom by just pouring in 1-2 cups of well water. there are channels in the tray that would allow the water to flow across the bottom of the mycelium. that way i wouldn't be spraying the emerging and growing fruits.

D. B. Doober

Boston, MA
Veteran
You should add little hydrogen peroxide to the spray bottle and standing water under the mycelium. Keeps stuff clean, kills germs I think. It's what I do.

BudToaster

Veteran
thank-you ... sounds like a good idea - i will do that first thing tomorrow morning. this first flush is finally beginning to take off.

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
Back in the 60's, way way back they said you would have hallucinogenic effects from downing morning glory seeds. I think blue green variety they said . It's not illegal to have or grow morning glory seeds but it is illegal to consume them.

Now whether they do anything that's another one

I tried them once (Morning Glory Seeds) they made me act silly but that was about it and that reaction might have been more placebo in nature then anything else.

As for shroom kits, a few years ago I visited some friends in the Lake of the Ozarks region and ended up being able to get ahold of some really nice shrooms that came from a "shroom kit" they were quite potent. Of course I was foolish, I bought 2 grams and ate 2 grams, I should have just ate one and saved the other for another time.

moose eater

I tried them once (Morning Glory Seeds) they made me act silly but that was about it and that reaction might have been more placebo in nature then anything else.

As for shroom kits, a few years ago I visited some friends in the Lake of the Ozarks region and ended up being able to get ahold of some really nice shrooms that came from a "shroom kit" they were quite potent. Of course I was foolish, I bought 2 grams and ate 2 grams, I should have just ate one and saved the other for another time.

The specific variety was Heavenly Blue morning glory seeds, which do, in fact, contain lysergic acid amides. However, Hawaiian Baby Woodrose seeds ALSO contain this, and, whereas a person needs to ingest somewhere near 200+ of the specific morning glory seeds, only ~12 of the Hawaiian Baby Woodrose seeds are required.

NOTE: It is strongly advised that you scrape the outside of the Woodrose seeds, as to minimize nausea, AND, most commercially available seeds of either sort are 'treated' to make them a poor choice for ingestion, so we used to buy organic untreated seeds, direct from Hawaii. Definitely NOT a placebo, and extraction methods can be found for making a paste to dry, or 'crystalline substance' to bypass the seed chewing.

Once had to babysit a fellow who got way too high on the woodrose seeds. Spent a fair bit of time, walking him around the block, and at one point he uttered a statement that lives on in my memory to this day. It was some time back in '75 or '76 and he said, as we circled the block, "I think I may have to cash in my cashews."

The nausea from the woodrose seeds can be similar to, but more intense than that from fresh or dried peyote buttons that haven't been properly 'cleaned.' But they DO work. Scout's honor.

HempKat

Veteran
The specific variety was Heavenly Blue morning glory seeds, which do, in fact, contain lysergic acid amides. However, Hawaiian Baby Woodrose seeds ALSO contain this, and, whereas a person needs to ingest somewhere near 200+ of the specific morning glory seeds, only ~12 of the Hawaiian Baby Woodrose seeds are required.

NOTE: It is strongly advised that you scrape the outside of the Woodrose seeds, as to minimize nausea, AND, most commercially available seeds of either sort are 'treated' to make them a poor choice for ingestion, so we used to buy organic untreated seeds, direct from Hawaii. Definitely NOT a placebo, and extraction methods can be found for making a paste to dry, or 'crystalline substance' to bypass the seed chewing.

Once had to babysit a fellow who got way too high on the woodrose seeds. Spent a fair bit of time, walking him around the block, and at one point he uttered a statement that lives on in my memory to this day. It was some time back in '75 or '76 and he said, as we circled the block, "I think I may have to cash in my cashews."

The nausea from the woodrose seeds can be similar to, but more intense than that from fresh or dried peyote buttons that haven't been properly 'cleaned.' But they DO work. Scout's honor.

I believe you on them working I'm guessing based on what you said here my problem was mainly that either I didn't gather enough or it was not a good strain for getting high off of. I'm not sure what strain it was because me and a cousin of mine who also tried it out picked the seeds from some plants essentially growing wild in our neighborhood. We got the idea from a book that described a bunch of different legal/natural highs one could try, I remember another one was to try mixing catnip and tobacco for a mild marijuana like high which also ended up being a disappointment. For the morning glories the book we were going by suggested to crush the seeds up and make a "tea" out of it so that's how we did it.

moose eater

I believe you on them working I'm guessing based on what you said here my problem was mainly that either I didn't gather enough or it was not a good strain for getting high off of. I'm not sure what strain it was because me and a cousin of mine who also tried it out picked the seeds from some plants essentially growing wild in our neighborhood. We got the idea from a book that described a bunch of different legal/natural highs one could try, I remember another one was to try mixing catnip and tobacco for a mild marijuana like high which also ended up being a disappointment. For the morning glories the book we were going by suggested to crush the seeds up and make a "tea" out of it so that's how we did it.

Can't recall for sure, but the book we read that covered extraction might have been 'The Anarchist Cook Book'. Still have a copy above my computer desk, for collector value and posterity. There are lots of topics in that book that are folk tales, too. But the lysergic acid amides in both seed types are for real; been there and done that, a number of times. Never extracted the crystal or paste, however.

I suspect if you look on-line, you can still find sources for 'clean' (no trouble-inducing coatings aboard) Hawaiian baby Woodrose seeds for ingestion or growing. (*The coatings that the conventional packages of either type of seeds were marked with warnings about were, from what I remember, specifically deigned to stop folks from eating them).

We planted some Heavenly Blue morning glory seeds out at the flower box near the road, and the moose ate them. I wondered how they fared. Ruminants digest via 7 tummies, so they get lots more out of the same grains, etc., we might eat with only one stomach. but they're also considerably larger beings, so the dosage would have to be significantly greater.

The high is very similar to an LSD high, but a bit less intense, except for the puking part, if you become nauseous. And like with peyote, post-puking, it seems the high soars notably.

Gave up recreational puking a long time ago, how ever. if I dabbled again, it would be via an extraction.

HempKat

Veteran
Can't recall for sure, but the book we read that covered extraction might have been 'The Anarchist Cook Book'. Still have a copy above my computer desk, for collector value and posterity. There are lots of topics in that book that are folk tales, too. But the lysergic acid amides in both seed types are for real; been there and done that, a number of times. Never extracted the crystal or paste, however.

I suspect if you look on-line, you can still find sources for 'clean' (no trouble-inducing coatings aboard) Hawaiian baby Woodrose seeds for ingestion or growing. (*The coatings that the conventional packages of either type of seeds were marked with warnings about were, from what I remember, specifically deigned to stop folks from eating them).

We planted some Heavenly Blue morning glory seeds out at the flower box near the road, and the moose ate them. I wondered how they fared. Ruminants digest via 7 tummies, so they get lots more out of the same grains, etc., we might eat with only one stomach. but they're also considerably larger beings, so the dosage would have to be significantly greater.

The high is very similar to an LSD high, but a bit less intense, except for the puking part, if you become nauseous. And like with peyote, post-puking, it seems the high soars notably.

Gave up recreational puking a long time ago, how ever. if I dabbled again, it would be via an extraction.

I can't recall the name of the book I referenced either but it was something real simple like Legal Highs or Guide to Legal Highs that was circulating back in the early 70's. It was a thin paperback style boog with a solid plain green cover I think and it contain about 20 or so different legal highs like the morning glory seeds and the catnip on and I remember they also talked about ingesting nutmeg as a way to have a hallucinatory experience.

Since that time I've done actual LSD many times as well as Mushrooms, Peyote Buttons and other stuff like PCP and now being in my 60's I have no desire to revisit any of that except maybe Mushrooms maybe once every few years. I got lucky and didn't experience any puking doing that stuff at least none that I recall. I do remember though that the Peyote was about the most god awful taste I ever experienced.

BudToaster

Veteran
well, the Golden Teacher was rather lack luster results - really only one flush from each tray before trich contam happened - yield almost a full Qt jar of dried shrooms - whew, i can go back to microdosing in my morning joe. i grind the dried shrooms in a coffee mill - 1/4 tsp is about 0.3 grams, my microdose. i think it is helping my sore wrists and the severed nerves in the 3 middle fingers of my left hand. another sad story for another time.

so, started the last two Qt jars of B+ on 7/27 each in 5# 50/50 mix of manure and casing (lots of straw, evidently) in the tray. BUT something different i picked up from reading a grow guide. i soaked the Qt jars in water overnight and drained before mixing into the bulk substrate. i think this is the hydration i have been missing in the last several attempts - actually, from the beginning ... already after only 3 days the mycelium is almost covering the substrate. and i run the hydration air pump for an hour 4 times a day, so there is humidity visible on the inside of the tray cover.

info just in case anybody cares. also, this thread is responsible for me even starting to study mycology. thank-you.

mriko

Green Mujaheed
Veteran
Growkits are great. I ilve in a hold, dusty and moldy house where sterilisation is just impossible, so these are perfect for my kind of most-unperfect set up. And now there are even growkits for Copelandia, woohoo!

Irie!

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
wear a mask, a sterilized one while dicking around spraying h2o.
one should not get contamination after the mycelium populates the substrate. if you do, you did not follow sterile procedure.
on another note: i've had cubes in a five gallon bucket with alder chips totally pin with absolutely no sterile protocol, in fact providing the largest cap i've ever witnessed...but without contamination.
who knew?

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
There's a lot of people offering substrate with syringes. I like having a few varieties on hand. I will be growing my own from now on.

Chi13

ICMag Donor
There's a lot of people offering substrate with syringes. I like having a few varieties on hand. I will be growing my own from now on.

People say a shroom is a shroom, but I reckon there are differences between varieties. I grow mainly B+, and sometimes Chitwan, but I recently found some wild (Australian) cubensis that I took a spore print of that I am keen to try. They seemed stronger and trippier than B+.

BudToaster

Veteran
Something says you didn't mix hydrogen peroxide into spray bottle and standing water

well, i did, but not adequately i guess. i flip the two B+ trays to fruiting on Tuesday - that will be 2 weeks of mycelium eating the substrate - which looks more colonized than i have seen before. this could be epic ... third try is the charm. Maybe.

Latest posts

Latest posts