What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Magic Mushroom Grow Kit?

BudToaster

Veteran
i started with Midwest grow gear (but upgraded to maxyieldbins (i have two setups) and that is a deeper tank with two different covers - a flat one to let the substrate colonize and a dome one to do the fruiting. it has an inner liner that makes it all cleaner/tidy to work with.

i think i described both vendor's gear in prior posts. i can look up in my diary if not.

being optimistic, it looks like all four jars will be usable. i think i will put one jar in each bin and let the other two idle in the refrigerator as necessary. i had thought about putting two jars in one bin, but i am going to shoot for yield this go around.

i have a heater mat with temp controller wrapped around the jars (in a closed lid box) set just below 80°F.

i have to try to remember the full routine - it's been a while.

i use EverClear in a spray bottle to disinfect all the bin pieces prior to loading substrate and jars. has worked like a champ in the previous grows.

tough luck with the contamination. that is my greatest fear - kept me from even trying to grow shrooms until Tudo started this thread. did some internet searching and it was off to the races. my shrooms have made a lot of people happy in NYC - most meaningful experiences, with a guide (not me).

know thy chemist!!!

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
Congratulations. I’m not having as good of luck this round. My tank just started pinning I was so excited to see it and is now infected with Trichoderma mould (not good after waiting so long…). I have little shrooms coming up but also this green ugly stuff which grows very fast. I sprayed the areas with alcohol and dug it out but it must be in the whole tank as it continues to grow. I will be lucky to get anything out of it but I’m gonna order more LC and start again. I think it either has to do with using a heat mat under the tank with about an inch of space between that and the tank when I was trying to get my temps up a bit for them Or maybe moving the tank too close to the smoke area where it is a little warmer than the rest of the house.
‘anyway…we learn as we grow right?” I’m so glad tho that yours are growing well so far. Do you plan to put them in a container? i have had good luck with the BODs easy AF tek
some ugly pics of my tank…
View attachment 18942200
View attachment 18942201
View attachment 18942202
View attachment 18942203
Just tried to save tray with iso and UVC. By time you see it, it is everywhere including bottom of tray.

BudToaster

Veteran
Phase 2 begins today. one Amazon and one Nepal jar are ready for the bins. the other two jars are not as far along. and it dawned on me that putting a little extra culture in one of the pair of jars allows me to stagger the binning without having to get more gear.

so, a quart jar of mycelium into a bin with 6# of manure substrate. one for Amazon, one for Nepal. closed lid. in the dark for 4 weeks (?) to fully colonize the substrate ... may have to add the heating mats under the bins. it's February and cold here on east coast.

chilliwilli

Waterboy
h94BF4E32.png

CaptainLucky

Attachments

• IMG_4198.jpeg
    IMG_4198.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4199.jpeg
    IMG_4199.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_4107.jpeg
    IMG_4107.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_4102.jpeg
    IMG_4102.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_4100.jpeg
    IMG_4100.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_4097.jpeg
    IMG_4097.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 34

Loc Dog

Veteran
Noticed honey not mentioned here. Found out what I was told decades ago about freezing is not the best for cubes. Grinding them up and mixing with honey will make them last a long time without decrease in quality. The potency distributes throughout the honey in a few weeks, and it has no oxygen, which is what decays psylocibin over time. Also to dry at low temp.

BudToaster

Veteran
i really like that idea about the honey. i grind the dried shrooms anyway, so this will be something new to try. i've been using honey in my morning coffee so this is synergistic timing. the honey keeping out the oxygen is epic.

i dry at room temperature: slice the shrooms lengthwise in half, 24 hours open air with a ceiling fan for mild airflow, then in a closed container with desiccant packs for several more days until crispy. then grind. store in tightly sealed 4oz mason jars and into the freezer. jars don't last long enough to consider vacc sealing.

all that as a way to review my past tek - starting fruiting today or tomorrow for two bins - it's been 4 weeks with good mycelium coverage that looks stable. just needing to review what i did last several goes. and gather advice.

Loc Dog

Veteran
i really like that idea about the honey. i grind the dried shrooms anyway, so this will be something new to try. i've been using honey in my morning coffee so this is synergistic timing. the honey keeping out the oxygen is epic.

i dry at room temperature: slice the shrooms lengthwise in half, 24 hours open air with a ceiling fan for mild airflow, then in a closed container with desiccant packs for several more days until crispy. then grind. store in tightly sealed 4oz mason jars and into the freezer. jars don't last long enough to consider vacc sealing.

all that as a way to review my past tek - starting fruiting today or tomorrow for two bins - it's been 4 weeks with good mycelium coverage that looks stable. just needing to review what i did last several goes. and gather advice.
Do you use food processor, coffee grinder, or mortar and pestle. I need to do this soon to store for a long time.

Did .75 gram with lime juice, and crazy strong. Had to lay down after an hour, and tried to sleep. A few weeks ago did 3 grams in freezer for years with lime and just got really high, so shocked when 3/4 of gram was too much.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
I recall the younger guys making blue honey back twenty five years ago.

The novelty proved rather toxic and fresh shrooms were shunned in place of dried and powdered boomers for that specific application. Be safe.

I used a coffee grinder and 75 grams of mutants and stumps for 750 mL of 151 vodka and steeped for a day at room temperature and three months in the freezer... I used a French press to filter it and lost the damned thing due to the fact that the shroom sludge was like limed concrete.

One French press wasn't that bad but I lost quite a bit of volume of extract to that gross gray glob of glop as well.

But the fates saw it fit that what remained not only had it worked, but it was easily dosed.

It started out golden but turned blue over the next few months, keeping it in the freezer... but it worked. It worked very well.

Much like boiling into (or as) a tea or extraction via citrus soaks, the alcohol extract is fast acting and quick to come down from.

Easy dosing for maximum control is the only reasonable benefit besides body load and chitosan reaction.

I still prefer them fresh or dried, as plain as Ms. America circa 1839. I enjoy starting with a gram or two and having ten times that to munch on throughout the trip.

BudToaster

Veteran
Do you use food processor, coffee grinder, or mortar and pestle. I need to do this soon to store for a long time.

Did .75 gram with lime juice, and crazy strong. Had to lay down after an hour, and tried to sleep. A few weeks ago did 3 grams in freezer for years with lime and just got really high, so shocked when 3/4 of gram was too much.
i use a coffee grinder and do them in small batches at a time.

Frogger

Hi everyone, might I jump in and share some information on something I found I think you all be interested in

Loc Dog

Veteran
Hi everyone, might I jump in and share some information on something I found I think you all be interested in

No offense, but In my opinion, people want targeted videos, not about everything and anything. If he goes that route, should have a list of what is covered, and exact point in video at beginning of videos, create scripts and edit. Favorite videos are concise and on point, like plants in jars videos. Stopped at 2 minutes when no clear description, went back and done at 3 minutes when it was about all this stuff I have no interest in.

BudToaster

Veteran
i agree. i skipped ahead and he eventually gives a thumbs up review of costa rican strain being super duper for depression. i can't find that strain in my normal sources. my bins are busy for a while but may get his gear after that.

finally switched my two bins to fruiting - dome lid, more fresh air, LED above. waiting for pins.

Loc Dog

Veteran
i agree. i skipped ahead and he eventually gives a thumbs up review of costa rican strain being super duper for depression. i can't find that strain in my normal sources. my bins are busy for a while but may get his gear after that.

finally switched my two bins to fruiting - dome lid, more fresh air, LED above. waiting for pins.
Sporeworks has them. Do not waste much light on them since the do not do photosynthesis. A cfl for them to know which way to grow.

Loc Dog

Veteran
I'm going to get a bag from Amazon and spores from spore works? Are they still like $10? I can't wait to trip again. Been like 13 years. I'm 43.
Sporeworks has a couple on sale for $12 now, but usually $18. If looking for strong, tidal wave I found to be too strong, doing 3/4 gram with lime juice.

Sub24ox7

Sporeworks has a couple on sale for $12 now, but usually $18. If looking for strong, tidal wave I found to be too strong, doing 3/4 gram with lime juice.
I grew tidal wave last grow. I thought they were potent but I like other strains effects more, Growing pink buffalo right now.

Loc Dog

Veteran
I grew tidal wave last grow. I thought they were potent but I like other strains effects more, Growing pink buffalo right now.
That is what I am thinking. Like cannabis, it is not just the psilocybin but entourage effect, of the other tryptamines. Will get costa rican and some others. Was great at growing long time ago, but had 9 of 10 trays trich out, so only have tidal wave for now. Threw in honey, since will go bad before I use otherwise. Had some stored in fridge for a long time that really helped depression, and quit drinking for a month, which were unknowns.