What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Macro Photography

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
you could even take it further. that site has some links on microphotography. setting up slr's up to microscopes and using flashes to take some really insane pictures. i was thinking it would be cool to take some 500x+ trichome pics clear as day, or even further. im going to buy the mp-e 65mm soon though.

heres another from the mp-e just to make some jaws drop.
robberfly.jpg

and a micro pic,
euglena6507.jpg

Last edited:

Verite

My little pony.. my little pony
Veteran
Yep good lighting to eliminate the shadows is pretty key to getting good macros.

To compare cameras side by side in staged shots heres a good link. Really lets you know how well a digicam will do macro.
http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

Heres a couple of my fly shots and a grasshopper with an old nikon 3.4mp coolpix.

damakkus

West Coast ICer
Those are great photos guys. I didn't think insects could be so cool.

Thanks for the great links as well.

Is it ok to hit you guys back when I actually have the camera to use. It maybe a few months though. Either way, I thank you guys again for your help.

G

to the guy who asked about lighting...one thing i noticed, if you take the pics w/ the lights JUST comming on..w/ flash, makes for a red backround, and clear pics, another thing to do is hold up a magazine or something to block the direct light, hold cam right under the mag, w/ flash on.. these came out, pretty good. i am still trying how to set my cam for the right shots...i have a nice cam i dont even know how to use yet...i keep going back to my coolpics 4600, cannon. those shots are awsome and i wont stop trying till mine look like that or better. thanks for the push.
peace joe

R00KIE

To get real good proper lighted pics you really want to take the plant away from the hps...
Or you could just try and take pics right b4 lights come on...
I know on my cam if the hps is on and I try to take a pic it over exposes the pic and it come out very bright and washed out...
Some ppl get black lines across the image because of the hps...
Cool white cfls are great for taking pics... Puts out a more natural light, and makes it easier for your cam to white balance...

damakkus

West Coast ICer
Good info rookie, so its best for me to take them just after lights out

To me it would be best to plug in a flourescent a few minutes before lights out and extend the day period a few minutes. Would that be smart? Or could that cause hermies? Anyone know?

R00KIE

I don't think 5 or 10 minutes would hurt, but what you could do is plug it in 10 mins b4 lights out and shut off the hps manually...
Then shut off the flouro when it's suposed to be lights out...

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
joes got a good idea, flash kind of makes the nugs blue without proper white balance. best overall is the sun. cant beat it for lighting. if your going to do something indoors id build a cheap studio for 20$

Verite

Veteran
Some cameras have a light setting for incandescent which will remove a lot of the yellowing caused by hps lighting.

damakkus

West Coast ICer
How do you build a cheap studio?

Verite, my camera has that, I will give it a try. Thats on my digital camera Thanks

damakkus

West Coast ICer
Simple enough. Thanks for that. Now I am starting to see how they get those nice pics. I love having fun learning.

franco.gh

Peace, love and THC
ICMag Donor
Veteran
pics through a microscope

pics through a microscope

These pics were taken through a 1200x microscope, on dia.
The blue background was created adding blue pigment on the petra-dish.
Photographer: Joop Dumay, aka The Crystalman.
Plants: Green House Seed Company

Peace, Love and THC!

wr-topo3.jpg

Order003-S1-0030b.jpg

Order003-S1-0011b.jpg

Order001-S1-0003b.jpg

Verite

Veteran
Joop is the shizz on those microscope shots. I have seen most of his gallery and their pretty nice. Amazing how many different 'setup' will produce unique shots.

hey some of you guys really understand photography and i was wondering if any of u wud know what i cud buy for my camera which wud make my pics closer. ive got a canon eos d60 with 105mm macro lense < not very good, and a 550 speedlite flash, not ring flash. i love the look of those micro shots!! wow! is it possible for me to get even close to that?? or wud i ned a new camera, id buy one jus for those pics god damn, sell my car lmao. heres what i can manage now

these r as good as i can do, and some plants r easiar than others, some have small resin, others large, so try to find a good one helps!

resin is king!

Pic0001_85.jpg

Pic0001_110.jpg

Pic0001_216.jpg

Pic0001_36.jpg