What's new

Mac vs. PC - the great debate

greenhead

Veteran
Apple has a more aesthetically pleasing OS, that is why artists, musicians and creative people gravitate towards Mac. It simply looks and feels better when using it. People who have an eye for design understand this. People who don't understand this are happy with a PC running windows or whatever.

As for me, I don't give a shit what anybody uses. Use whatever you like.

:tiphat:

Actullay they used xerox's heads up display. But i dont think they stole it. Xerox doesn do computers they do copys and they actully invented the windows system.

Dude im not trying to have an argument im not trying to say you dont know about computers.

Fact is MAC is a better product bottom line there is no debate

Xerox first used the GUI (not HUD), then Apple used it and claimed they invented it. The kernel for OS X is UNIX-based, so you could argue that Apple copied the fundamental components of their entire operating system. The fact is that companies like Windows and Apple will always use each other's ideas, and I don't really see it as a problem at all. Whatever works best is what I want I want to use, and if the best happens to be a blend of a few different operating systems then so be it.

jd4083

Veteran
Do you not know what OS mean or something?

everyone knows that windows is a cheap ripp off of the MAC operating system come on dude seriously??

you didnt know?

And to top that off they couldnt even get it right

everyone knows that the mac os is a cheap ripoff of Unix come on dude seriously?? you didn't know??

:rolleyes: quit being so hostile dude, jesus

It takes a lot of fiddling around and skill to get OS X running perfectly on a PC. And many people who have Hackintoshes never get certain features running good or running at all. Just go and have a look at some of those forums and you'll see that most people never get a smooth running Mac OS X on a PC.

I think a lot of problems people experience are due to either not following instructions properly, or having obscure hardware set-ups. There does seem to be a formula for the ideal Hackintosh set-up (Intel processors, Gigabyte motherboards, using SATA over IDE, etc.). I think that with a bit of research a person could purchase the ideal set-up and have OS X running without much hassle. Reading the forums I've seen a lot of people claiming to have machines equally as stable as an original Macintosh.

The problem with using Hackintosh in a business environment though would be licencing, as it seems to be a violation of Apple's terms of use to install OS X on a machine not manufactured by Apple.

greenhead

Veteran
There does seem to be a formula for the ideal Hackintosh set-up (Intel processors, Gigabyte motherboards, using SATA over IDE, etc.)

Yes, I've read a bit about making a hackintosh, and those are the standard hardware pieces that seem to work the best.

However, even when using that formula, many people seem to struggle with different issues. Some people can not put their machine to sleep, some do not get firewire working, some have audio problems, some have ethernet problems. I would say that it is possible for most people to get a hackintosh that works 95% good, but I think that very few people have one that is 100% perfect, where every thing runs completely as it should.

150wPimpin

Ok OK i wasnt trying to be hostile!!

I agree with mala's last post to each their own.

The thread is named the great debate.

I was just trying to get the point across that there is no debate due to MAC being a a better product no matter how you slice it. And by that i mean they look better feel better run smoother and faster n have a greater ease of use.

Ok OK i wasnt trying to be hostile!!

I agree with mala's last post to each their own.

The thread is named the great debate.

I was just trying to get the point across that there is no debate due to MAC being a a better product no matter how you slice it. And by that i mean they look better feel better run smoother and faster n have a greater ease of use.

How fast and smooth a system runs is massively dependant on the hardware, as well as the software. If you spend £4000 on a Mac, and £4000 on a Windows-based set-up, you can bet that the Windows set-up will be significantly faster than the Mac, because Macintosh are vastly more expensive than alternatives.

150wPimpin

How fast and smooth a system runs is massively dependant on the hardware, as well as the software. If you spend £4000 on a Mac, and £4000 on a Windows-based set-up, you can bet that the Windows set-up will be significantly faster than the Mac, because Macintosh are vastly more expensive than alternatives.

well no doubt bro

I can also buy generic food and eat twice as many days on the same $20.00

I dont eat generic food and I dont run a PC for the same reason basiacly

But all you have done is proved that more machine is faster that goes without saying lol

Now match equal Pc and MAC and the MAC will blow it out of the water

there is no argument to that statement.

Bionic

Cautiously Optimistic
Veteran
I switched from PC to MAC and it was the best decision I ever made. I will NEVER look back.

150wPimpin

mac's are not virus proof!!!!
i had a buddy who used a macbook once.
3 weeks later, BAM.....herpes

well sure if your an idiot you will get sometype of infection

that wasnt my only argument and i wouldnt go around saying they are virus prone either
But i would go around saying that PC is very virus prone

Shred42O

well i always found this whole debate pretty funny because the truth of it is they both are great for there respected things macs are better for the person who just likes to do the basics and media editing, but pc is more for the core users who like playing games and doing open source things. mac feels very limited for me because of the lack of open source software

but i think all mac users need to stop hating on pc, because the truth of the matter is there would be no more mac if it wasn't for bill gates saving their ass.

to put it simply mac is better for people who arnt very computer savey

Greensub

I'm not a big computer guy, but I have 3 PC's at home and 2 at work (well 1 is my fiance's and she put Linux on it... she's a back end programmer & DBA) and they all work well enough for what I need them to do (internet, email, spreadsheets, and word processing) I've never had one crash on me.

But... my background is audio engineering and have always used Mac's for that. One, the top professional software came out first on Mac and was written on Mac's and two... I've got a lot of friends who run PC's and a lot of friends who run Mac's and I've had a lot of conversation's with them.

My recording engineer friends who use PC... I'm always having conversations with them about upgrades, and drivers, and hardware, and eventually a discussion about switching to Mac & Protools (pretty much the industry standard)

The guys who are on Mac just play me CD's of projects they've finished and we don't talk about computers, we talk about music.

When I do my new setup I'm buying a new Mac.

150wPimpin

well i always found this whole debate pretty funny because the truth of it is they both are great for there respected things macs are better for the person who just likes to do the basics and media editing, but pc is more for the core users who like playing games and doing open source things. mac feels very limited for me because of the lack of open source software

but i think all mac users need to stop hating on pc, because the truth of the matter is there would be no more mac if it wasn't for bill gates saving their ass.

to put it simply mac is better for people who arnt very computer savey

LMAO can we say stereotype?? False stereotype at that

im prety sure MAC is unix based and im pretty sure unix is open source

funkervogt

donut engineer
Veteran
This is an apples and oranges conversation. If you don't need a Mac, don't get one, but there are very good reasons to spend the extra $$ on an Apple product...

Without revealing too much about what I do for a living, I will say there are major advantages of using Apple's products (computers, devices, OS's) that Microsoft has yet to accomplish.

It's all about the "User Experience". Pay close attention to that phrase, you'll hear it more and more if you work in product development. User experience refers to not only the usability, aesthetic and ergonomic factors of computing, but how the user feels when using the system, their *experience*. It has to do with composition; from singular interface element to how the products work together at a high-level.

Apple has this nailed down: they consistently produce tools and services with outstanding user experience. They have established a strong level of trust in the user base with their products. If you ask an Apple user why they buy Apple products despite the high markup, they will likely tell you something along the lines of "it feels right". This goes WAY beyond aesthetics and interface design to the very core of human-computer interaction.

I was a PC user and switched to Apple. Why? Most of my work is in hardward/software development - I'm on a computer about 16 hours a day (yeah). I can accomplish a task or series of tasks on an Apple Nth times faster and with less of a headache than I can on a PC. A big factor in my use of a Mac is my own positive experience with the machine. Too many negative experiences with Microsoft and Linux products have led me here.

Apple only has something like 10% of the market share. Microsoft loves to gloat about this number, and let them; Apple's ROI on their product releases is much higher than Microsoft, because Microsoft doesn't value quality. Microsoft will fix shit when they have to, not because it benefits the user. These are two very different markets.

150wPimpin

This is an apples and oranges conversation. If you don't need a Mac, don't get one, but there are very good reasons to spend the extra $$ on an Apple product...

Without revealing too much about what I do for a living, I will say there are major advantages of using Apple's products (computers, devices, OS's) that Microsoft has yet to accomplish.

It's all about the "User Experience". Pay close attention to that phrase, you'll hear it more and more if you work in product development. User experience refers to not only the usability, aesthetic and ergonomic factors of computing, but how the user feels when using the system, their *experience*. It has to do with composition; from singular interface element to how the products work together at a high-level.

Apple has this nailed down: they consistently produce tools and services with outstanding user experience. They have established a strong level of trust in the user base with their products. If you ask an Apple user why they buy Apple products despite the high markup, they will likely tell you something along the lines of "it feels right". This goes WAY beyond aesthetics and interface design to the very core of human-computer interaction.

I was a PC user and switched to Apple. Why? Most of my work is in hardward/software development - I'm on a computer about 16 hours a day (yeah). I can accomplish a task or series of tasks on an Apple Nth times faster and with less of a headache than I can on a PC. A big factor in my use of a Mac is my own positive experience with the machine. Too many negative experiences with Microsoft and Linux products have led me here.

Apple only has something like 10% of the market share. Microsoft loves to gloat about this number, and let them; Apple's ROI on their product releases is much higher than Microsoft, because Microsoft doesn't value quality. Microsoft will fix shit when they have to, not because it benefits the user. These are two very different markets.

Bravo

Very well put!!

funkervogt

donut engineer
Veteran
LMAO can we say stereotype?? False stereotype at that

im prety sure MAC is unix based and im pretty sure unix is open source

Unix is not open source, it is owned by the SCO group. Linux is open source under the GNU public license. Linus Torvalds created Linux as a response to the high cost of Unix system licenses.

OS X is actually NeXT-based, which uses Unix file system, user security and command protocols. Apple had to purchase the rights to use the term "Unix certified" on their Leopard release. Unixness has almost nothing to do with the qualities of the software so much as lining the pockets of those who own the rights to the name ;)

Harvest

Grew up on PC's, building my own, and taught build and repair classes in the summers...After getting into my profession i was forced to switch it up to MAC's (sound engineering and media based work) because it's the industry standard at the studios i work at, and not for no reason (these machines are top notch)...got myself a mac book pro, yes the price is ridiculous, but i prolly woulda gone through 2 pc's by now...although i do have my pc sitting in the corner collecting dust, just incase i need a door stop. But at one point you couldn't pry my pc from my cold dead hands.