What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

MA Recreational Sales Begin Tuesday 11/20

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
We are ahead of most of the country and had to start somewhere.

There probably will be a battle with the rich trying to make everyone pay big bucks by knocking out home growers. We still have "Taxation without representation" on our side.

yardgrazer

the state of Mass. never wanted people to grow their own, nor did any other state in the US except for Vermont's Legislature. They wanted to keep raiding our houses & throwing us in jail - we forced the law to change through petitioning. You have the right to grow because the power of our ballot initiative is still stronger than the power of the entrenched political class. The "judiciary" in Mass. wasn't activist - they didn't do a goddamn thing to repeal Prohibition. No judiciary branch of government anywhere in the United States has ever struck down a cannabis Prohibition law.

The Governor and State Legislature of Massachusetts voted to prevent sick and dying medical patients from using cannabis every single year from 1990 through 2012 - they wouldn't even let medMJ out of it's first legislative committee.

Things are "working well".....for whom? not anyone trying to start a business, like my farm co-op - we've been run out of business by the state and local government and our primary investor lost her family savings.

Paying over 23% tax when boozers get to pay 1-2%? that's only "working well" if you're a slave IMO.....

Massachusetts tax on beer: 1%
Massachusetts tax on wine: 2%
Massachusetts tax on cannabis: 23% +

Never underestimate the power and value of voter ballot initiatives, many states don't have that. Vermont, for example, does not have voter ballot initiatives. If they did Vermont would have legalized a long time ago (admittedly VTers would also pass wackadoodle initiatives).

While it is true that the SJC (MA's highest appeals court) played no part in legalizing marijuana, I wouldn't be entirely dismissive of them - just look to their decisions about motor vehicles searches post legalization. But I wouldn't expect any court to find against a state's police powers (not literally "police" but the ability to make laws regarding health, safety, and welfare).

Not really news that the Commonwealth places a huge burden on businesses of every stripe with their immense bureaucracy and fees, fees, and more fees.

Maybe we're talking apples and oranges, but from what I see the excise tax on alcohol is a bit more complicated than you're implying: 55 cents per gallon on wine, 11 cents per gallon on beer, $4.05 per gallon on liquor. Those are collected from the seller, but they pass the cost on to consumers through product pricing. Obviously still far lower than the excise tax on cannabis products, but that probably speaks to opportunity and a lack of established businesses with huge amounts of clout (read: $$$).

As always, the law remains a discourse in political power.

Applesauce

What rec shop has the "best bud" in MA? So far everything I've tried has been subpar. This includes Theory Wellness, which was touted as having great flower. I grew better flower my first grow, over a decade ago. NETA? Forget it - garbage. Weird situation. High prices, high taxes, awful quality.

yardgrazer

The prices for bud are the same as NETA, but from what I've tried so far PatriotCare's bud has been pretty a-ok. Downside is they're owned by a company that has lobbied against homegrowing. Upside is I've walked right in and gotten served immediately the few times I've been there.

Tried NETA and INSA, didn't think the bud at either was anything to write home about. On the other hand, I thought NETA's shatter and wax were pretty good.

Prices generally suck. Seems like that won't change anytime soon. Wish my schedule would allow me to hit up a dealer, but no signs that'll happen in the near future.

yardgrazer

PS: On the other hand, it looks like PatriotCare in GF currently has no flower at all. Maybe everyone got wise that it was the one decent option among the three fairly nearby shops.

Downside is PatriotCare's extracts have been nothing to write home about. Expensive, "shatter" that looks like wax to me, not very strong. Glad the growing season approaches.

CaptainDankness

Just hit up my first recreational dispensary today.:biggrin: It was NETA in North Hampton, I only bought 1 gram of Ghost Train Haze which is decent certainly not the best but decent does have a nice Haze like flavor. The biggest problem is the price $18 after taxes and I can grow better herb, plus it's a lot of small buds.

But other than the mediocre but decent enough bud, it was a great experience for an outlaw NH hillbilly though. Lol, I was a little nervous pulling up to a cop, but dude just asked if I was there for recreational and told me where to park. Two more cops standing outside the building, just felt crazy cops directing traffic to buy weed!! Then walking out with a paper bag past the cops knowing I bought weed. Hell yeah!! This shit needs to be legal nation wide!!

They damn sure need more competition though, I doubt that place would have a chance in CA or CO, not at them prices for sure.

Green Squall

Just hit up my first recreational dispensary today.:biggrin: It was NETA in North Hampton, I only bought 1 gram of Ghost Train Haze which is decent certainly not the best but decent does have a nice Haze like flavor. The biggest problem is the price $18 after taxes and I can grow better herb, plus it's a lot of small buds.

But other than the mediocre but decent enough bud, it was a great experience for an outlaw NH hillbilly though. Lol, I was a little nervous pulling up to a cop, but dude just asked if I was there for recreational and told me where to park. Two more cops standing outside the building, just felt crazy cops directing traffic to buy weed!! Then walking out with a paper bag past the cops knowing I bought weed. Hell yeah!! This shit needs to be legal nation wide!!

They damn sure need more competition though, I doubt that place would have a chance in CA or CO, not at them prices for sure.

They're STILL using cops? I thought the traffic died down after a couple of weeks?

More shops are opening, slowly but surely. The whole scene is over-regulated though. One mayor in Fall River was recently charged with taking bribes for Cannabis Licenses. I hope they throw the book at him - this was his second Federal Indictment. I swear, the people of that city are brain damaged for giving him a second term.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
They're STILL using cops? I thought the traffic died down after a couple of weeks?

More shops are opening, slowly but surely. The whole scene is over-regulated though. One mayor in Fall River was recently charged with taking bribes for Cannabis Licenses. I hope they throw the book at him - this was his second Federal Indictment. I swear, the people of that city are brain damaged for giving him a second term.

Hard to believe that many people are willing to pay dispensary prices.

He has is the best lawyer in the state working for him.

CaptainDankness

There was a bit of people there, they were taking 10 at a time, didn't have to wait too long. But yeah just the thought of it, 3 cops standing around doing nothing, that's like $150k a year. But buying weed legally infront of police is epic. Lol

I just so happened to be driving back from CT and I had to buy legal weed. Lol, I have my own weed though so I only grabbed a gram. Would have been nice if they had more of a selection especially if they sold some fucking hash!!! Kind of bugs me they got dabs but no dry sieve or bubble hash which is all I make with my trim because it's better than dabs IMO. They definitely have a long way to go to stop the black market $60 for a half gram cartridge!! I can get them for $20 all day I just don't like them, it's not like smoking hash even with all the terpines hash tastes better. Although my friends are the only people I know who can get hash and they get it from me. Lol, I mostly just hoard my hash though I hate running out of hash.

I got to say hash is my biggest motivation to grow, I can buy and sell and make a fortune, but nobody sells good hash!! Well probably Frenchy in California.

yardgrazer

Of late PatriotCare has had Bubblehash on their menu. Haven't tried it, didn't care for their other extracts when I tried them months ago, and at this point I'm just picking up an eighth of flower here or there to tide me over until I can meet-up with my friend (hard to argue with paying just about half as much).

I tried the Amherst dispensary a few months ago, just picked up a little flower. Again, nothing to write home about - very similar to the flower I purchased in the past at NETA and INSA. Still sticking to PatriotCare. Doesn't hurt that it's the most convenient location. Downside of P-C is they used to sell sixteenths, but of late everything seems to be eighths (and up) only.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
being legal is great news, BUT... 18 bucks for a gram... at them prices them dispensaries , will go the way of sears/kmart... O.O.B. (out of business) one at a time...

I doubt any will be going out of business. This is a state with a lot of disposable income, and full of people who won't grow for themselves.

There's also a consumer mentality of "leave it up to the pros", where people convince themselves that businesses do a better job than hobbyists. And their puritan backgrounds that will not let them even for a second think of dabbling in the grey market. Even though they drive at 90mph on the highway like fricken maniacs, cheat on taxes, you name it. Crazy state we live in.

Thing that drives me nuts about the fall river situation is no word on indictments for the dispensaries that bribed the mayor. Last time I checked, bribing a public official is a major felony. Every business bribed to open, shut them down I say. But the state will never shut off established cash flow like that, so they will walk.

Don't be surprised if the feds do more indictments. Towns are demanding kickbacks in the form of police overtime, donations to civic groups, and flat out bribes to get no-contest/host agreements signed. The state knows all about it, but won't enforce state law. Small time growers are rallying and getting ready to sue.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
I doubt any will be going out of business. .

well i guess we'll see... let some other nearby states legalize, offer cheaper prices and we'll see...

everytime a state goes legal, it brings more product to the market - the number of people who smoke stays more/less static... meaning people who already smoke will continue to smoke, and few people who don't smoke will take up the habit.. the dispensaries will certainly do bizz with 'new' smokers, or those who come onboard now that its legal, but long time smokers who either grew their own, or are buying from the black market will continue on their merry way..

what pothead is going to spend 400+ dollars on at best average pot when their dealer is selling it way less..

maybe i'm wrong.... according to my wife , i'm wrong on a daily basis....:woohoo:

The few times I've stopped by a dispensary, most of the customers in line were over 50 or in their early 20's. Basically zero knowledge of cannabis. I had to explain to more than one person how to use the shatter they just bought.

Let them piss their money away if it helps towns and/or the state out a bit with tax revenue. I'll keep cracking beans. We can also legally gift ounces to one another completely legit, so I'm legally covered from here on out. No black market needed.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
if i'm a pot head... which i am... and i live in Mass, smoking for 45yrs...which i have... why would i spend 400+ on an oz, when i can just call my usual dealer and buy it for....i don't know 300 or 250??? ... espec if his shit is better??

no doubt there is the curiously factor for both the over 50 and below 20 crowd , as it was for me on my 1st trip to A'dam .... BUT... price and quality matter...

again... i mite be wrong

Americangrower

Veteran
Not that i need to go to a rec store but WTF is Hope Health Heal going to open rec. Any1 know whats going on there?

In other news I was looking at to other River shops they had GG4 at 17.9% and 14.9% thats either the worse grown GG4 ever or they ain't got GG4

Americangrower

Veteran
I doubt any will be going out of business. This is a state with a lot of disposable income, and full of people who won't grow for themselves.

There's also a consumer mentality of "leave it up to the pros", where people convince themselves that businesses do a better job than hobbyists. And their puritan backgrounds that will not let them even for a second think of dabbling in the grey market. Even though they drive at 90mph on the highway like fricken maniacs, cheat on taxes, you name it. Crazy state we live in.

Thing that drives me nuts about the fall river situation is no word on indictments for the dispensaries that bribed the mayor. Last time I checked, bribing a public official is a major felony. Every business bribed to open, shut them down I say. But the state will never shut off established cash flow like that, so they will walk.

Don't be surprised if the feds do more indictments. Towns are demanding kickbacks in the form of police overtime, donations to civic groups, and flat out bribes to get no-contest/host agreements signed. The state knows all about it, but won't enforce state law. Small time growers are rallying and getting ready to sue.

I don't really consider a forced bribe a bribe. More like extortion.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
If these dispensaries aren't making enough money then they will put bribes and pressure on politicians to reel back home growers and force the tax on us.

How come the guys who paid bribes to the Fall River Mayor are not in hot water?

At a minimum, the host agreement and non-opposition documents should be re-negotiated and re-signed, they are tainted with the approval of a soon to be felon.

Host agreement rules set by the state are very specific about revenue that can be collected by a host community, in terms of % of sales only. What we're finding out though is a lot of communities added unnecessary police details, etc to the bill which is actually illegal. Look at the nonsense in Hudson, still shutting down lanes of traffic, etc when the place was one of the first in the state to open. Still have to take a shuttle from across town last I checked. Yet temescal still willingly plays along without saying a word, counting their money. But legit small time guys don't have that couple hundred thousand laying around in slush money to even get started in the game. Whole system is corrupt.

They strictly pull on a schedule, every 2 weeks, doesn't matter if it's ready or not. Depending on lab, results are hit or miss for THC%. MCR almost got shut down for good recently for improperly disposing of tainted sample glass, and they actually do good testing with consistent results. Then how it's stored waiting for test, then waiting to package, then waiting to sell. Like throwing darts regarding quality.

Americangrower

Veteran
If these dispensaries aren't making enough money then they will put bribes and pressure on politicians to reel back home growers and force the tax on us.

How come the guys who paid bribes to the Fall River Mayor are not in hot water?

If the mayor say's to them it cost $$ to get lic it's extortion from him. The shops are only paying what the official says they have to. Thats not a bribe. A bribe would be if the would be rec shop offered money exceeding what mayor said the lic cost. To assure they get it. I'm sure that has happen to but all I read was the Mayor screwing them for his signature.

Latest posts

Latest posts