What's new

Lumatek digital ballast's

Open Eyes

150 F seems really hot to me for anything that has electrical components inside. Would you run your CPU at anything higher than 60f?

I am torn between a digital and traditional ballast so knowing how hot they run is tempting me toward the traditional.

G

grow nerd

By the way, did 750w's ever really catch on? Is Lumatek or anyone else still producing 750w's?

The single biggest concern for me was the bulb availability (or the lack of)... not much to choose from, and high prices.

DankHawk

I run 3 1k dual voltage lumateks

1 dual 600 dual voltage lumatek

1 1k dual voltage Galaxy

The 1k lumateks are hot to touch, cant hold on for long.

the dual 600 lumatek is just warm but hot enough not to want to hold it

I got the galaxy by chance when the hydro store was out of lumateks. The Galaxy is the coolest one of them all, luke to the touch. After this run Im switching to all galaxy. Not because of any problems with the lumatek ballast I would like then to run cooler. I dont keep my ballasts in the same room as my grow so its not that big of a deal, but heat is heat and I dont need it in summer.

DH

DankHawk

picture.php

G

grow nerd

I run 3 1k dual voltage lumateks

1 dual 600 dual voltage lumatek

1 1k dual voltage Galaxy

The 1k lumateks are hot to touch, cant hold on for long.

picture.php

Holy shit are you running all those dual-voltage ballasts on 120v and all in their own timers? If so, why? Looks like you had electrical work done, so why not 240v?

Or are all those timers for different things like pumps, etc?

Im not sure how hot my ballast is running but cant hold on long. The article says up to 158f for a 600w. I dont suppose the 400w 120v is alot different if at all. Time will tell if it lasts. . They should put fans on these.

DankHawk

its all running on 240 those are 240 timers in the pic. Im switching to a sentinel hph8 hid controller soon, Those timers are unreliable. What makes you think its 120? Im now using 1 water heater timer for my 6's and a 1k light cause a couple timers crap'd out on me.

Amon

Yup, your right Cheeb. Them be reset buttons. Not much literature comes with this, but if you actually read what does come with it, it tells ya. Confused me I guess, figured there would only be one reset button..

I've been goofing off with the Lumen switch also. It works pretty good, just hope it holds up. This newer unit sure seems to run lots cooler.

As far as heat.. This dual voltage runs so cool I can rest my hand on it as long as I"d like to, but the other 120v that burned up.. NOT. Really hot. Now I know why it fried.. I really think if they've got the overheat issue under control these units will be dependable. fingers crossed.

G

grow nerd

DankHawk, I knew they made "240v timers" that look just like the simple "120v timers", but I didn't think people actually used those things for more than 1 light, maybe 2.

You can DIY the HPH-8 and save yourself 75% or so. Ever look inside a HPH case? Tons of empty space, and a standard 40A contactor with 120v coil.

Hahaha...that set up makes mine looks soooo ghetto...well...it is ghetto. My ballasts rest on paint cans and I'm a flipper, so no timers. :(

I need some schooling in electrical...thingies....and stuff. Yeah.

Amon

Hahaha...that set up makes mine looks soooo ghetto...well...it is ghetto. My ballasts rest on paint cans and I'm a flipper, so no timers. :(

I need some schooling in electrical...thingies....and stuff. Yeah.

Well, ya gotta start somewhere huh? I remember my very first setup and what it must of looked like to some. The hood was an old stove top vent converted to hold 4 cfl bulbs mounted into. I even used the old fan to cool it.
setup under my computer desk in a 2ft x 2ft area..

Main thing is, safety. Hate to explain that small fire to the inspector. lol.

I prefer to remain largely ghetto, for savings and utility. I leave my lights on 24/7 and flip two crops every 12 hours, so I save on equipment, room and theoretically bulb and ballast life since most of the strain is from heat/cooling expansion/contraction and ignition, although I've sure gone through my hortiluxes faster than I expected. I'm a slave to the schedule, but I don't mind. Everything rests on concrete so I don't worry about a fire. I don't use any fans, venting, filtration, only open air cooled hoods hanging by easily cuttable wire in a non-descript room full of paint cans and junk. It never gets that hot, the ceiling is about 9 feet high, only 3 600s, and I grow only low odor strains. I can remove everything in a few minutes, wire cutters and just unplug the rest, quickly stored in a pile of boxes...just another ugly dirty basement room...

Doesn't mean I'm not jealous... :D

Amon

Hey Alienate420... NO fans. How? Even with perfect temps fans are really needed to push the fresh air around in the room. Ghetto I understand. You should see my setup. hehe.

Even if your setup is producing okay, just a few small changes and it could produce awesome.. air movement is a must I've always thought.

I also try very hard to find low odor strains, but will be trying AK47 this winter since changing my vent setup to release under the house where all my outdoor flowering plants can hide the odor. Sometimes it's just a matter of finding the right phenotype of a certain strain. I've had some really stink while sisters of the same strain are low odor.

The search is half the fun eh? good luck with yours bro.

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
Ghetto in electrical can lead to fires! Maybe not so funny :yoinks:

Old Ghetto (check out the wire nuts on the hot 240 outlets with 120 fittings!).
picture.php

I recently moved away from ghetto to DIY tight! My ladies are sleeping much happier now.

Peace, :joint:

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
I also use the hortilux eye and have never blown a bulb

Well out of 5 digital ballasts, 3 of them blew bulbs in the 8-10 week range, and in all my years of growing these are the ONLY 3 bulbs I've ever blown, so it must be the digital ballasts.

Amon

Ghetto in electrical can lead to fires! Maybe not so funny :yoinks:

Old Ghetto (check out the wire nuts on the hot 240 outlets with 120 fittings!).
picture.php

I recently moved away from ghetto to DIY tight! My ladies are sleeping much happier now.

Peace, :joint:

Nice bro.. always better off safe then sorry huh? Even with labels... ooooh
:woohoo: Well, so far all is good with this new unit.. even impressed still with the Super Lumen switch which I've actually used to get the coot tube setup right down on the plants without burning them, just ran it at 75%. pretty kewl.

And, this newer designed 600w digi run's much cooler to the touch. I can see why the old units failed, they were cooking themselves slowly by running way to hot.