What's new

LST training in detail. Why bushes are better

420chuy

420Chuy, GREAT plant!!

I'm new to this LST thing with MJ.

Let me get this straight- that was under the 400 Watt HPS like the journal you linked too? or was it outside?

Also, all the side banches are what turned into those.....those.....those FREAKS of large colas?

Did you FIM it or top it or what?

That was inside my closet. under a 400 watt HPS. I LST'd her..

If using a 1000W, is LST just as beneficial as using a smaller light? What is the best method to use with a 1000W Light for a high yield? LST, Topping, Fimming, or Leaving them untouched? I am planning on growing 12-16 Females in 3-4 Gallon pots, and although height is not an issue for me, anything over 3.5-4' or so and i will end up with wispy bottom buds. I am planning on them finishing at 3-3.5 Ft. Tall. I just want to be able to get the best yield possible out of my 1000W.

I didn't like Fimming/Topping when i ran Blockhead because i ended up with 2 Phenos were were 1' or more different in height, and although the stems were woody and thick there were so many massive tops that the stem couldn't support them and i had to keep them up with stakes. This is why i think LST would be the best since i can keep all of the plants bushy and at the same height, which will equate to more even light penetration. I would like atleast .7 gpw or so out of my next grow.

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
SI2-I would think that if you LST'd all of those plants, you'd yield a huge amount. Are you growing perpetually? Giving each one of those babies an extra week of veg helps out with your yield. I'm under a 1000w in a bloom room that can hold 12 plants at once, there's no way I could fit 16 in there. good luck!

L

LJB

I can't be the only person that applies late-term (during week one and two of flowering) LST on big and small plants alike.

before:
picture.php

after:
picture.php

picture.php

i decided to flower an old mom then after reading this i decided to bend her over....was hard work as shes pretty woody as u can see she has lotsa branches due to being cloned :) i'm very happy with it :) its like a scrog without the net hehe

Attachments

• 12122009038.jpg
    12122009038.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 42
  • 19122009046.jpg
    19122009046.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 47

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
scrub-looks great! I just flipped my first LST attempt to the bloom room today. I hope I can get something as pretty as what you've done here.

ScrubNinja

Grow like nobody is watching
Veteran
Thanks man, I hope it goes great :) I've got my next one bubbling but I did it all wrong - Not quite as full canopy. One of my older plants is my favourite example of LST ever. It was approx 1m x 1m, and 1.5ft high, and yielded 18oz.

It got tied down on day 1 of flower. 4 or 5 bits of string and tent pegs.

Good times :)

Caille

My girls are at a current 4-6 cola stage I am trying to take them farther but don't want to screw up since they are looking so damn lovely as they are now. Next phase is to trim some of the growth that isn't making the reach, but I am dreading that. I hate cutting plants.

Alexis
*smiles*

K.J

Kief Junkie's inhaling the knowledge!
Veteran
My girls are at a current 4-6 cola stage I am trying to take them farther but don't want to screw up since they are looking so damn lovely as they are now. Next phase is to trim some of the growth that isn't making the reach, but I am dreading that. I hate cutting plants.

Alexis
*smiles*

Learn to love it. I did. We were forced to trim quite a bit to help stave off a mite infestation (it was one of the steps we took that ended up keeping them mostly at bay). At first it was difficult, but once I got the hang of what should stay and what should go, I found it quite pleasing and so did the plants! I think they grew much better for the trimming we did (everything 6" above the soil got the chop, for a nice trim grow line). It's like giving a mangy dog a haircut...they appreciate it and so does everyone else.

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
I took a few cuttings off of the others that I'm currently lsting. It's strange how I can trim back my pepper plants a few times a month but I am such a wuss about pruning my ladies back. I probably need to take the same approach and just go with it.

Zest

Very helpful thread and great examples what can be done. Here are my first steps..

I'm currently running my first low stress trained plant, White Widow, working like a charm:
picture.php

Here comes the next champ in training, A.M.S.:
picture.php

prophecy

The 3 small pics are my SLH!

The big pic is my Hashberry!

mshbharvest.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0035.jpg
    IMG_0035.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0003.jpg