What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

LST training in detail. Why bushes are better

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
Supercropping.

Warning! Chuck Norris would drop dead just thinking about it. It's that scary the first time but, honest, it works.

Crush the stem between thumb and forefinger. Rotate grip 90º and crush again. Fold the stem over. My Thunk just laughed at me and straightened up after a few hours so, be prepared to tie things down.

See the top cola and the 90º bend in it's stem? Thats supercropped.

guidoro

Very interesting FreezerBoy!
I want to try this technique in my small cab with my SSH plants.
But at how many days in 12/12 do you think is better to do this?

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
Guidoro,

You can do it whenever you feel it's of benefit. I did it when my stems cleared my ScrOG screen, and when they grew into corners, and when they competed for another stems space ...

IndianHay,

You can train all the way to the end if you like. I did because my 250 has limited penetration. While the colas above are 19 inches "tall", grown horizontally, they're only 6 inches high.

T

TwinTurboGuy

I'm going to bring this thread back because I'm curious what kind of LST methods you guys recommend for vertical lighting.

I normally leave my plants untrained and I get between 1.5-1.8 lbs per 1kw. But I feel that training my plants might be an answer into increasing my yield instead of looking into different strains, more lighting, co2, plant numbers, etc.

Katatawnic

Hiya TTG, my intuitive guess would be to use/make a trellis, and tie your branches to this as they grow. I don't think this would redistribute the auxins to the lower branches like LST does when tying horizontally, though.

What I would do is at least the first tie for the plant to be horizontal, like "regular" LST, so that the auxins do get redistributed and therefore all those bud sites will have better growth, and then tie them to the vertical trellis as the shoots grow from there.

I've only been doing "straight" LST, but have been thinking about making a "trellis" of sorts for my next round which will have much more veg time than my current, by attaching some poultry "wire" (what I've got coming via UPS tomorrow is actually plastic, if I remember correctly, but still poultry fencing all the same) to the top edges of the pots, circling their diameter. This way when the real stretch hits in 12/12 (starting later this week), anything that won't fit tied down to my pots can still be trained, albeit vertically. At least this way those branches won't spread out so far as to over-crowd the other plants next to them.

Someone else may have a better idea, to which my mind is more than open.

~~Kat~~

Katatawnic

P.S. I don't remember from which thread on this site I found these, but I'm pretty sure it was an LST one. I saved the images for a "blue print" so to speak of what I'm planning on doing. These photos don't have poultry fencing; the poster called it "gardening" fencing. But the idea is the same.

Attachments

• LST pot idea 01.jpg
    LST pot idea 01.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 42
  • LST pot idea 02.jpg
    LST pot idea 02.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 45

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
420- how long was that plant vegged for? She looks terrific! I've got one right now that I started LSTing a month ago and have ability to veg it out for a long time...

420Chuy, GREAT plant!!

I'm new to this LST thing with MJ.

Let me get this straight- that was under the 400 Watt HPS like the journal you linked too? or was it outside?

Also, all the side banches are what turned into those.....those.....those FREAKS of large colas?

Did you FIM it or top it or what?