What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

LST training in detail. Why bushes are better

Tunefull

Hello again pinner*smiles*

I think the AK-48 and afghani are great plants to work with(more so the afghani)..I have a freind who is germing some AK 47 at mo(he only has a few seeds and there very old)
Would love to grow some ak 47(just to see if any diff)

Lighting and Watts per foot and all that i dont understand...So got nothing to offer you there m8*smileS*

About veggin/flowering times...Your pretty much looking at at least 2 months veg(longer if sativa)..Very rare is a plant ready before then(unless there super fast finishers(which tbh i dont trust(but i have no EXpereince so unfair of me to say)))

But yea normally 2 months...Ideally i like to go longer(9-10 weeks)

Veggin time is up to u really.I like to veg about 5-6 weeks(but can depend on when the flowering room is empty)
That should not be effected by LST(Low stress)
Its only when Fim/topped that u have a recovery delay...

I have Snaped stems on purpose for diff reasons(i love experimenting)*smiles*

Anyway thats it (short one today)*grins*
Are u planning on running a grow dairy?
There good for you and for others....

Btw here is a post of a cut plant(one of my fav picks)*grins*

Pinner

Hello Tunefull and Merry Christmas to you and everybody else here. I hope you all get to take some time to relax this holiday and enjoy the free time.

Thank you for the info. As for the grow diary yes most definitely I will be starting one. I have read over so many others and think this is a most valuable resource to the NooB and educated alike.

The thing is everyone I have read starts at the germination stage or even later. I won't be growing for a bit yet but am debating on whether I should start one to record my process of going from deciding to start a grow, looking into my equipment needs based on my specifics, purchasing, setting up and then start in with germination.
Not sure of the protocall on that.
Most likely whatever I want since its my grow diary.

I have read a lot on LSTing and like I said it sounds like an ideal way of manipulating the plant for yield, space and light requirements. It really doesn't mean shit though until I put it into action, could read a thousand books on the subject but......

I really look forward to starting this grow. Things here are incredibly stressful and I think this will be great way to release that stress.

Pinner

Pinner

Tunefull said:

As soon as I saw that I thought of Alien when the baby one sucks on to the guys face.

That is a really cool picture!

nosmoke

Into the fifth week of vegging Durban Poison x1 Skunk inside. DWC in two Igloos. First LST and a new 400 watt HPS! Will probably veg for one more week then start to flower. Everything seems to be going very smoothly. I tied down the main stalks and approximately four side shoots per plant; have retied three times now.

Someone asked earlier about what "bumping" a thread means. It simply means that everytime you post a reply to a thread it goes back to the top of the topic list in a forum. It happens automatically when someone replies (or adds to a thread). On some forums a "bump" will not take the thread back to the top of a topic list but on most it does. Its useful especially if you have a question that no one answers and the thread has gone over to the 2nd or 3rd page. When you bump it it will go back to the top of the first page giving more people an opportunity to see it and respond... Hopefully I'm 95% correct on this! :chin:

There, I just bumped this thread!! :dueling:

Last edited:

MamaStoner

thanks

thanks

I am the one who inquired about bumping and that was weeks ago and you are the first one to answer me on this....so thanks.....I am so hesitant to ask any questions.....I am new to all forums and it seems to me that everytime I ask a question someone answers me by saying that has been answered in one of the forums and I need to :confused: search for it.....well, if I had the time, I would but I only get to use the computer a very little bit of time and if I am asking a question that means I need the answer NOW and that I can't search for the answer....anyway, when you do put in for a search, there are a zillion replies to the search and 99% of them do not even answer the question you are looking for....so again, thank for answering this one....

Mama :confused:

Last edited:

alphacat

This pic actually helps me understand LST-ing much more fully, strangely enough. I can actually say I really get it now! Thanks Tunefull!

Tunefull said:

G

I have about 2 1/2 to 3 ft of height in my flower chamber...Im growing C99 and WW currently about 1 week from seed...I plan to keep height to a minimum for obviuos reasons

How soon can you LST??? Can you LST during the early phases of flowering? Id like to veg for 2-3 week max, then pop em in for flower to try to keep em short and to harvest ASAP

Thanks all

G

I've gotten many suggestions of letting them grow out to the 4th-5th node then they'll LST all the way up till your ready to flower. 4th or 5th node should take anywhere from 1.5-2.5 weeks from seed depending on conditions. so you'll have a good 1-2 weeks to train.

fatboyOGOF

there's nothing prettier then (than? :) ) a pinched or tied down plant. after all these years of tying them down, naturally growing pot looks odd to me. everytime i see a tall stright christmas tree in doors, i think, what a waste of light.

i went through my crushing and twisting the herd phase. i really got some monster colas. i forget why i stopped. the branches looked like yours tunefull. i always described the branching patters as a rake facing upwards. very cool. :)

this is at 2 weeks flower, she's bigger now. :)

fatboyOGOF

howdy mama. don't let it get to you. if you've been on the boards a few years, you see the same question a 1,000 times.

whenever you post, just say that you have no time to search and would appreciate an answer. we'll be nice. really. :)

whenever i'm searching, i always search in the post titles first. it helps to narrow things down sometimes. it can be hard to get a simple answer at times. hang in there! in a couple years, you'll be telling people to search. :)

save yourself the aggrevation and get this book. Jorge Cervantes - Marijuana Horticulture theindoor/outdoor medical grower's bible.

it will answer most general questions in a way to keep you on the straight and narrow. $20 something. best $20 something you'll spend on this hobby/medical grow.

Last edited:
first grow /first LST

first grow /first LST

Okay guys, here are some photos of my very first grow effort. After a series of producing only males (probably due to stress), here's a happy female plant. I've gotten much better at the LST technique (and everything else), but ya gotta start somewhere! Velcro strips from Home D'Pot are used throughout with a few twist ties for the little stems. Subsequently, I've been using nice soft yarn because the LST is started while the plants are younger and more flexible. Sometimes I anchor the hold down velcro, ties, yarn to chopsticks and other times to screws embedded in the side of the container. It just depends on what angle I need, etc.

And, now here's the same plant a few weeks later and mid-way through flowering under a 400W Hortilux Super HPS:

I use the long/narrow and fairly shallow troughs because it is the most efficient way to work in my cramped (4' high) *triangular* crawl space. It really isn't easy to work in there, but we're gettin' the job done proppa, anyway!

Here's what female #1 looks like at home in her spot. The small end is raised to help it catch up with the other side.

I'll leave her lined up like this for the rest of the grow because the big end is already almost touching the mylar. As the meristem grows I think it will curl towards the light and away from that wall (which will be a good thing). I just hope that the light penetrates all the way to the far end as the illuminated end gets taller/more full.

Green Relic

Im with harry (on the first thread) on this one..I've had two males so far in my short growing time and it KILLS me to put them down.
To: Cap. can you do this to an older plant say 8 weeks old...my girl is gonna make me put a sunroof in and I really don't want to haha my room is 4x4x7 and the light brings the ceiling down more..I'm gonna try to spred her out but not sure how much thats going to help...thanks for your input

keeporegongreen

IMO it's best to first top or fim a plant, and then start LST. This redirects a lot of energy evenly over developing branches, then you can lst not only the main cola, but all of the side ones. I veg for 5 weeks from seed (if not cloning..), FIM + LST. I yield a minimum of 5 oz a plant.

11 days into 12/12

yesterday was 15 days into 12/12

My first grow and I'm training her with LST. I never topped her, I just bent the stem perpendicular and forced it to grow sideways keeping it horizontal by tethering it to a chopstick with twist ties. In the mornings I'll spend 30 minutes or so bending branches perpendicular and tucking leaves that block sites I want to expose. I've torqued down on the chopstick so that the main stem now points downwards a few degrees and anchored the base so that she doesn't uproot. I don't know how much more training it will need at this point as it's pretty much where I want it to be in terms of dimensions for my space.

G

Here is a couple of shots of my LST'd plants.

There is three plants in there. Two bushes on each end and one stalk in the center. I dont think it matters what size of room you have or how much light you have. if there is open spaces in the room between the plants then for sure tie them down and fill the room up completely.

update

update

I've tethered down all branches perpendicular to the stem and have created a nice even canopy with about 30 or so bud sites. This is 16 days into 12/12 and she's parked 12-15 inches under a 250w HPS.