What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

lower a soil ph with plants in it

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Shit just got back. Only a small drug store open so vinegar is all i could get for tonight.
I need to stop it from getting worse, yesterday to today is like night and day.

The bad one was showing 7.0 top layer and 7.3-7.4 for the dirt underneath around the rootball.

First few days I noticed it changin so i says maybe its just adjusting to the soil but got worse.

No cats ha!

Gonna go check the slurry from my good ones that been sitting, back with results.

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Alright well the two unaffected plants pots are reading as follows:

Plant 1:
6.8 rootball
6.5 top layer

Plant 2:
6.7 rootball
6.5-6.6 top layer

Second slurry samples from each soaking now as well as a 3rd from the bad one...

oti$

My knowledge with organics is very limited. I just bought the ideal soil and teaming with microbes and haven't even had time to thumb through them yet. From what I've read, the soil usually will balance the ph on its own. I don't want to make uneducated suggestions, but I'd be afraid to do something drastic and exacerbate the issue. You usually veg for quite a while, so you have time to figure this out. Id stick to plain water until you have researched a bit more. Hopefully you'll get some good advice from the organic heads that know their shit.

oti$

Shot in the dark: maybe an act with some Bennies to get things going in the right direction...

oti$

OK, from what I'm just read, you Do not yet want to start with the pH down. You want to try to replace cations in the soil colloid. Replace H+ ions with ca++. If your pH is at 7.5 you need to raise the ca saturation 10- 15% or so which, according to this book, should lower your pH back down into proper range. So, I'm guessing, the easiest thing available to you might be some ca-mag....if you can just get ca alone in a bottle(Humboldt nutes sea-cal) get that. Then water it in over your next few waterings checking the pH until it comes down.

rykus

slownickel and tom hill both recommend gypsum, as have a bunch of others i've read but yes i agree calcium,slow nickel brought up milk,or powdered milk?.... pretty sure cal/mg is 3/1 calcuim to magnesium... so i'd worry the extra mg would be a potential issue.

what about just repotting that one in good soil?

Slipnot

slownickel and tom hill both recommend gypsum, as have a bunch of others i've read but yes i agree calcium,slow nickel brought up milk,or powdered milk?.... pretty sure cal/mg is 3/1 calcuim to magnesium... so i'd worry the extra mg would be a potential issue.

what about just repotting that one in good soil?
Who made them gods gift to soil biology ???

Curious what made these 2 people gods gift to soil biology ?? and if so why on earth would they be on a marijuana site when they should be on some scientific acadamic site posting there findings or professors at MIT
Truth is there Are Millions of soil biologists that would school both of em in a heart beat

You need to get ph back to right parameters is adding Gypsum the right choice ?? Hell no Gypsum is a fertilizer .
TBH blindly adding Gyp can in fact create you more issues or compound more issues
The idiotic notion of blindly adding gyp or dolomite lime when 99 percent of the cases Soils have abundant amounts of Calcium being its immobile element does not run away or leach out so easy
So of course on marijuana sites everyone will say add gyp add dolomite lime etc but again its a guess unless you know what your soil really needs WTF it may be a Fix, But not the right fix in the long run

So reality is stay away from these products unless you have soil analysis done your only compounding the issue in reality .
like here are my keys, to my car go to store and get me smokes when your blind as a bat lol

Proper way is getting soil ph down before adding more ferts and contrary to populr belief Gypsum , dolomiite lime is Fertilizers
How can you do this organically speaking with out adding nutrients you do not know you need simple
Peat moss as a mulch even mixed into to soil will in fact lower ph being its acidic with out adding any nutes
Play it safe play it smart
People have to smarten up believe only half of the shit being spewed all over the internet sometimes fixes can infact create you more problems

As for tony's situation what i would do is in fact remove plant from soil carefully check out root system did he infact damage it during transplant can happen easy
anyways remove plant from there
mix in peat moss slurry test soil until ph is where he wants it ..
Once there re transplant with a mild does of ferts

Done but blindly adding gyp or dolomite where a person does not know WTF gives in the soil is not helping one fucking bit but creating more issues

Shit asprin desolved in water is 2.3 ph apple cidar will lower ph and what i said above lemon juice

vinegar as a last resort

So really plants are stressed to shit re transplant into mixture of peat to lower ph in soil is not going to be any worse infact its going to help plant establish it self better
rather then adding a fertilizer like gyp or lime

He an even give them a boost of asperin to help combat the stress stage

Last edited:

Easy7

Veteran
I like oyster shells to interact with the cations. The plants uptake + and put - into the soil. Good soil the cations should be 70% calcium. I have never seen a bagged soil that is ideal for my liking.

Slipnot

I like oyster shells to interact with the cations. The plants uptake + and put - into the soil. Good soil the cations should be 70% calcium. I have never seen a bagged soil that is ideal for my liking.

I tend to stay away from amendments from the bottom of the food chain specially with the higher arsenic and metal content from kelp , shells etc in the material :biggrin: let alone 300 tons of radioactive water being poured into the oceans its no wonder why people are seeing more beachings and dead fish floating to shore surely its good to put into our soils

Easy7

Veteran
I can walk into any creek and find native metals. All soil has metal content.

I did just read that rock phosphate has fluoride content as well as some radioactive metals. I trully wish there to be more phosphorous sources. I would like something like bone meal that breaks down slower yet without attracting shitters and critters. Seems Phosphorous guano is the only thing. Good thing a top dress has insoluble that add more over time. Tea's only get so much out of the goodies.

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well I dug em out. They all look dead as hell. Misting em to see if they make it. Roots fried, root ball deteriorated hot as hell down there.

Anyway I gave the empty pots a good even watering to run off.

EC of the run off is like 9 . 6500 ppm/700 scale 4500 ppm/500 scale.

Run off 6.2, 6.6, 6.8 on the three pots.

By the look of the color of the run off looks like my fish bone meal. Guess 'll let it cook longer and send off for soil tests. Ran about 20 gallons through each. Gonna have to get new clones so i got time to figure it out anyway.

I was gonna put a egg down in the soil to see if it would hardboil ha.

Welcome to Tony's fuck up thead. Enjoy the show!

oti$

Jeez! 9 ec! Surprised your plants didn't burst into flames. Was that the ec on all the pots?
So You Removed All The Plants Or Just The One That Went wonky?

I wood

Arond ten years ago Happy frog did this to me with several bags that would not grow healthy plants.
I was cloning straight into dirt at the time with around 100% success. 100% to 0% was the first clue on the bad dirt, then established clones would just wither when transplanted.
A little research and i found the company contracts out the dirt and just packages it with their name without much quality control.
Roots 707 filled the gap until i found icmag and learned to mix my own dirt, no issues since then.
Good luck dealing with this, Meijers usually has citric acid in the canning section if you are still looking for that.

corky1968

Veteran
I think you better start giving them plants distilled water with it's 0 EC.

I would deal with the EC before worrying about the pH.

Even with a good pH that EC that you have is killing your plants.

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah they all had wilted when I got home even the ones lookin good. Dug em out hot as root balls.
The runoff was 9.

Sluury tests on to layer this morning were. .9 1.2 and 1.7.

Washed out a lot of amendments I'm sure mostly yellow like the fish bone meal was. Left in it cook a bit see if it stabilizes. I thought I mixed it really well. Could be poor tho....

So hot I swear I coulda fried a egg.

corky1968

Veteran
I guess you added a little too much nutrients. :moon:

You'll be able to fertilize a small garden with those root balls now.

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Washed em off and new dirt but ain't lookin good. Ha. Not responding to foliar water. Loss of pressure. Got some leaves wrapped in wet cellophane and petiole feeding water. Life support status.

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Holy shit I threw my back out haulin a 3cf wet bag of peat moss...

Looks like the petiole feeding is pulling out on of the girls, the rest are barely hanging on. No absorbtion through the leaf I guess the stomatas were closed.

Latest posts

Latest posts