What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Low budget bagseed

Aleph-Null

Done!
Threw the second cfl back in there (initially ran out of power points, now resolved) and am hoping the temps will behave.

Attachments

• DSC_0045.jpg
    DSC_0045.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 9

PoweredByLove

Most Loved
oh lol ok, i was picturing a card you have to pay money on constantly to keep the lights on. lol "OH NO i'm all outta Power Points!! how am i gonna cook dinner..."

Aleph-Null

Punch cards for electricity would be awful lol.

Could someone with a keener eye than mine see what's going on with my plant? The yellowing has progressed to the newer shoots and some of the other older leaves too.
Unfortunately I'm unable to get a reading on pH or anything else for that matter.
There's too many variables for me to comfortably diagnose what's happening, but here's what I know so far/what potential issues I've introduced:

-The soil is a cheap as chips potting mix containing a fair amount of barky material, Ive read this can skew pH down as the bark breaks down.

-The water is straight out of the tap, though I let it sit 24hrs and try to agitate it now and then, in some blind hope of oxygenating it.

-The feed is 'Aquasol' currently at about quarter strength (.2g p/L), NPK readings on the box state 23/3.95/14 % w/w. Nitrogen:phosphorous 5.8:1

-Im unable to measure temp, RH or airflow which can't be helping things either, though it's coming into winter so RH ought to be rising with temps being less of an issue too.

I'm hoping to lock these variables down when I have the money to get my hands on some things, but if there's anything I can do to alleviate some of the stress the plant seems to be experiencing in the meantime, please give me a yell, I'm all ears!

Attachments

• DSC_0046.jpg
    DSC_0046.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 7
  • DSC_0047.jpg
    DSC_0047.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 9

Aleph-Null

Oh right, time frames may help too? This is day 36 from sprout (12-4), first noticed discolouration within the last week, more likely in the past 4 days (I need to keep better notes, which is half the reason I'm posting here as record).

PoweredByLove

Most Loved
they need more food like i was telling you earlier. magnesium especially. if you have some epsom salts use 1 tsp/2.6g to a gallon /4 liters of water along with your dose of food which i would increase by 50%-100%. do 0.5g/l

Gnz

Looks hungry and looks like it needs a little more light penetration down low. Get on Gumtree and find a 70w mh if you can, or add LED. Had similar issues at first myself.

Aleph-Null

The fun never ends! I've got an infestation of some sort, tiny tiny little white bugs, with the naked eye they're just little white dots that crawl across the leaves when disturbed. There's no way my camera will pick them up so I'm unable to show you. Currently I can only see them on the older growth, but that may well be attributal to the fact the older growth is easier to inspect, and the fact that these things are minuscule.
I've been reading through some of the stickies in the infirmary, but again untrained eyes on a first grow leave me second guessing.

Please just tell me I've not contracted the Borg? That name alone is enough to have me worried. The pictures I've seen show them to be black, not white, but again I don't 100% know what I'm up against.

GNZ, the plant has been under a 14.5W LED in addition to the CFLs for a few days now and is loving it!

PoweredByHaters, I've upped the feed as suggested, and it's responding really well after 24hrs. Let's hope it continues :D

I'll be heading to the hardware store tomorrow to pick up some insecticide, are there views on what I should be looking for (or for the Aussies in the mix, particular brands or products)?
Otherwise I'll likely get neem oil and pest strip's and pray to a higher power.

Gnz

I used a generic organic spraying oil for aphids etc at about 1/4rd strength on the foliage and the top of the soil without any problems since, was really surprised what I can buy at the supermarket.

rockymountainJ

Little white maggot looking things? Thrips..... spinosad treatments and a good soil drench..... don't take them as no threat. They may not affect much at first, but let go..... well I just battled them they where tearing my plants up... hope that helps

PoweredByLove

Most Loved
are there more of these bugs mostly on the underside of the leaves? yep it's the dreaded borg. you might see white speckles and black dots on the leaves. i'm trying some all natural controls tis time around and it's working ok so far. when i see a leaf with mites all over it, just remove that leaf completely. i spray daily on the tops and bottoms of leaves on all the plants

water with a few drops of
lavender
olive oil about a tsp, neem oil about a tablespoon
few drops of lemon oil, orange oil, any citrus oils i can find
aromatics like the lavender i mentioned, eucalyptus, other heavy terpene loaded oils
i finely chopped a clove of garlic, i put a few crushed seeds from a jalapeno, the hotter the pepper the more capsacin (sp?) a teaspoon of dish soap

the pepper and garlic i put in a little pouch which just sits in the solution the whole time. the oils and water and soap i also used a few drops of dr.bronners peppermint hemp soap.

anyway i shake the bottle up to emulsify the oils with the soap and i spray daily like i said. i know i had spidermites on some of the plants when i brought them inside. they seem to hide or hibernate when plants are in veg, maybe something in the leaves kills them off? i dunno, but they don't really come out till in flower. i just flipped the other day and i'm seeing they're coming back...or trying to anyway the spray i've been using seems to help a lot. spidermites get out of control real fast. life cycle from birth to adult egg layer is 1 week.

week 1 flower and i see a couple of em on one plant in the back. i plucked the leaf with visible signs and spray the rest down. garden is looking peachy.

Aleph-Null

Ok so thrips or spidermites, neither of which is good. I grabbed some petroleum spray yesterday but am kind of hesitant to use it on something I'll later consume.
I'll have a go at whipping up some chilli/garlic/lavender/citrus/eucalypt a little later.
As a side note, the chilli seeds contain very little (no?) capsaicin, the highest concentration is in the placenta, the stringy, fleshy bits the seeds stick to. Might give you better results using that in lieu of/conjunction with the seeds.

Thanks all for the advice! And Punisher, thanks for the well wishes :D

Gnz

How are the temps sitting where you are? We've been having erratic weather so box temps have been going 19-25c regardless of lights.
Mostly past stretch in the flower box but it seems to be getting heat stressed. Veg is thriving.

Latest posts

Latest posts