What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

LouDog's LED Lounge

LouDog420

Well, here we are IC. Hopefully some friendly faces are still around and pop into say hi. There was a LouDog's Lounge about a decade ago, but we're moving into the 21st century with the new LEDs... So welcome to LouDog's LED Lounge.

I've been mucking around on IG and Overgrow for the past year or so... Neither have all the features that I want. IG, the platform is stuck in a 'look at me' loop without the feedback and collaboration with other growers that makes the forums so valuable. The constant threat of having all your pics and account deleted doesn't help.

I have a project up on Overgrow called Beans 4 St Jude where we're donating seeds to anyone that makes a donation to St. Jude Children's Hospital. But even that forum site, they shut off your ability to edit posts after a certain amount of time, meaning I can't go back to the first post and update info, create a table of contents, delete content, etc.

So, we're back. IC isn't perfect, but it's as close to home as I've found. Hoping the new forum upgrade fixes a lot of those mission critical problems that made the last update all but unusable and people start to migrate back. It's the users that ultimately make the forum.

Here, we'll be chronicling the conversion of our existing bare bulb vert HID room to an LED room. We'll be testing 4 different LED brands in flower in the same space. We'll have at least one cut of something tried and true under each light to get a good comparison. Lights getting the test:
  • Growers Choice ROI E-720
  • Spectrum King 680W
  • Grow Light Science ProGrow 850
  • Total Grow MH Lumyre 720
  • We'll also have a Mars Hydro FC-E 8000 running veg in a 5' x 5' space...

The already built out treehouse is roughly 10' x 9' flowering space. Lots of great discussion and guidance from my man DHF on the thread below following that build and the first run or two...

We've been running that space consistently since our last post. We just breached 1g/w with a few select phenos. Consistently pulling 7lb/run out of 4kw with super tight and low 6.5' to 7' ceilings... Without the ceiling restriction, I think we'd be hitting 2lb/light all day, everyday. Pruning and strain selection are key for growing those trees. The last run hit 1.5lb plants with Tony Green's Bubblehead under only 666w.

Stay tuned, build conversion coming soon. We'll throw down some custom tables to fit the space, then convert the HIDs to LED and off to the races. T-minus two weeks till we reload.

Some pics to keep ya interested in the meantime...

Sour Jack from Karma
sour jack 5.jpg

OG Chem from Ganja D/Ganja Rebel/Rebel Grown
ogc 11.jpg
ogc 3.jpg

And always tossing pollen....
og on haze.jpg
loudog pollen.jpg

Good vibes all,
LD

Attachments

• dsd f2 macro (1 of 1).jpg
    dsd f2 macro (1 of 1).jpg
    349.3 KB · Views: 100
  • casey 13.jpg
    casey 13.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:

dramamine

Looking good Lou. I have a Bubblehead pheno from freebies, looks just like that one you showed. Couple other nice plants from those too, including a nice lime tasting one. Had to scoop up a pack for later.
Good to see you around.

LouDog420

looks good, Dan smoked me out on that Double OG Chem at the Regen and it was nice!

good luck with the LEDs, got a couple friends using the Gavitas and they produce really fine flowers, shocked me that it was a big improvement in quality over the CMH.
Hey chunky! Ya, Dan has great gear. The dsd f2 thumbnail pic is from him also. Haven't gotten to try the Double OG Chem, I'm still running his OG Chem bx1.1 back from 2015/2016 ish. One of the best plants I've ever found.

Have been playing with LEDs for a bit. Feed adjustment is the big one. I'm a sucker for the vert hanging bulbs, but working towards setting up a few hundred lights at a commercial op and they're going LED... So no better time to learn than the present...

Looking good Lou. I have a Bubblehead pheno from freebies, looks just like that one you showed. Couple other nice plants from those too, including a nice lime tasting one. Had to scoop up a pack for later.
Good to see you around.
Thanks dramamine. Ya, the bubblehead has some great stuff in it. Popped 18, found 4 awesome cuts, and but there can only be 1... So tossed a bunch of pollen on the 4, and keeping my selection.

Bubblehead x OG Chem/Gorilla Bubble Mix (bx1f1, bx2 and bx3 gens)

Last edited:

LouDog420

Oh man, you still have that sour Jack...😍👌
Have you smoked it yet?

Ya, popped two packs and found two real nice phenos out of 9 or 10 girls. Then made a ton of f2s that are ripening now.

But I hate terpinolene with a passion (the jack), so letting go of the cuts.

Here's the sour jack male:

Attachments

• sour jack male.jpg
    sour jack male.jpg
    374.1 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:

LouDog420

Hitting the home stretch in the last treehouse run with bare bulbs...

Gotta keep it interesting until we get the LEDs installed.

Everything is at 54 days, just started water only, and should come down around 63-65.

OG Chem cola
full

Bubblehead #9
full

Full shot (or as full of a shot as possible) - OG Chem in the center, flanked by two different bubblehead phenos
full

DunHav`nFun

I KNOW I`ll be over in the corner sittin on my bucket on this 1 waitin for all the good shit to unfold and......Gladta see my `ol bro Tonygreen still hangin out ......been missin talkin to you TG , not to mention the LouDog in tha house transitionin from the best ever yieldin bare bulb setups to the new kid on the block flat grows with LED`s .....and.......

I gotta say that after some yrs retirement and seein all the hype I started back runnin a lil headies setup with 4-240 watt quantum boards horizontally and it`s DEFINITELY been a learnin curve experience to say the least since I`ve never run a flat grow in my life with double decades plus of bare bulbs hangin , BUT.......

I finally think I`m gettin the hang of horizontal dope growin with the mostly same watts per sq ft although I`ve found my nutrient requirements have increased while also bringin in each run sooner than my old Eye Horti Blue bulbs hangin did. for some reason........Not sure why , but proof`s in the puddin after many runs with the same bitches run with bare bulbs .....anyways......

Nuff outta my old ass , gladta see you back and still strokin LD so ......Take care , good luck with the new LED project and.....

Peace.....DHF......

LouDog420

I KNOW I`ll be over in the corner sittin on my bucket on this 1 waitin for all the good shit to unfold and......Gladta see my `ol bro Tonygreen still hangin out ......been missin talkin to you TG , not to mention the LouDog in tha house transitionin from the best ever yieldin bare bulb setups to the new kid on the block flat grows with LED`s .....and.......

I gotta say that after some yrs retirement and seein all the hype I started back runnin a lil headies setup with 4-240 watt quantum boards horizontally and it`s DEFINITELY been a learnin curve experience to say the least since I`ve never run a flat grow in my life with double decades plus of bare bulbs hangin , BUT.......

I finally think I`m gettin the hang of horizontal dope growin with the mostly same watts per sq ft although I`ve found my nutrient requirements have increased while also bringin in each run sooner than my old Eye Horti Blue bulbs hangin did. for some reason........Not sure why , but proof`s in the puddin after many runs with the same bitches run with bare bulbs .....anyways......

Nuff outta my old ass , gladta see you back and still strokin LD so ......Take care , good luck with the new LED project and.....

Peace.....DHF......

Nice, awesome you're getting back into the swing of things. A few quantum boards is plenty for head stash.

I've been literally doubling feed from bare bulb HID to horozontial LED. Salts and calmag in coco, I feed at 1.5ec all grow long under bare bulb HID... Double everything and hit 2.6-3.0ec for LED, varying calmag depending on strain and lifecycle stage.

Took me a while to wrap my head around doubling feed strength, but I think a lot has to do with the extra heat from HIDs, causing more transpiration and pulling up more water from the roots. If nute demand by the plant is the same, it makes sense that more throughput of water (under HID due to higher heat) means lower nute concentration; and lower throughput of water (under LED without the radiant heat) means a higher nute concentration is needed. Another reason a lot of people run 82-83F+ under LED

We've been experimenting with LEDs for about a year. Here's a 5'x5' under a grower's choice roi e-720. The chunky colas are joey weed's AK47 f2s. Found two NLD leaning special plants
led.jpg

AK8 - super sativa
ak8.jpg

AK9 - chunky monkey
ak9.jpg

Last edited:

DunHav`nFun

You know .....What you say about the difference in radiant heat and less transpiration rates with LED`s makes sense , although I always ran in the mid 80`s and still do with my headies shit , so apples and oranges but yeah.......I`ve not doubled my juice mix but upped it right @ 50% to 1.8-2.0 strain dependent as in how much or little Cal / Mag gettin added ends up makin the ppms higher or lower.......anyways......

Plants look great as usual Lou , so back on my bucket in da corner watchin and waitin on things to unfold......Good luck and.....

Peace.....DHF.......

LouDog420

You know .....What you say about the difference in radiant heat and less transpiration rates with LED`s makes sense , although I always ran in the mid 80`s and still do with my headies shit , so apples and oranges but yeah.......I`ve not doubled my juice mix but upped it right @ 50% to 1.8-2.0 strain dependent as in how much or little Cal / Mag gettin added ends up makin the ppms higher or lower.......anyways......

Plants look great as usual Lou , so back on my bucket in da corner watchin and waitin on things to unfold......Good luck and.....

Peace.....DHF.......

Gotta thank @gmanwho for helping knock ideas around to get there, the theory, and the ideas behind increased/decreased transpiration.

Also, an extra shot of plant prod micro really seems to make them buzz under the leds... I'm still using jack's a and b, and plants like the extra micros, even at 0.1g/gal seems plenty to do the trick.

One of these days we'll have to get you a chair instead of that bucket!!

Good vibes all

LouDog420

Starts to get us started...

Bubblehead #9 from Tony/Karma collab
OG Chem from Ganja Rebel
DSD f2 from Ganja Rebel
Cookiewreck x ECSD/OG Chem, a chuck of cannaventure and ganja rebel gear
GG4 Ril femnized, aka the RILF from Tony
2 phenos of AK47 f2 from Joey Weed
5 phenos of RKS x ChemD bx (non-terpinolene phenos) from Chimera/Breeder's Retail
9 phenos of OG Chem x New York Candy Orange, chucking Dr.Penthotal of Catnip's seeds killer orange gear with more ganja rebel

Plan is ~10 days in cups, then straight into 1's and flip. 2 rows of lights covering ~4'x8' each, with 21 plants per row of lights (3x7 layout). Trying to not overstuff it with plants for once...

full

Last edited:

LJ farming

LouDog,

A couple of quick questions if you don’t mind.

1. In general under LED how are your Jacks nutrient ratios changing through out the plants life cycle? I have been running Jacks for a little over a year and have been all over the place with the ratios and still don’t feel I’m near dialed in. In veg I run 3.0A 2.5B and add Kelp and Fulvic Acid. This seems to work ok but definitely has room for improvement I think. During Transition I add about 1/2 the recommended dose of Growmore Flowering Cal Mag (which does not have Nitrogen in it) as well as I up my ratios to Jacks recommended 3.79A and 2.52B

For flowering I start dropping Part B/CalNit at 25-50% per week until it’s completely out of the mix by week 7 on a 9 week strain. I supplement the flowering CalMag in place of CalNit in order to take away the majority of the Nitrogen. This gets me pretty close to a 6/9 Lucas nutrient profile starting week 7 when the CalNit is 100% gone. Now I have no idea if what I’m doing makes any sense but it’s basically what DHF and I came up with because I all but refuse to use bottled nutrients and he is a 6/9 and MaxiBloom poster child and has never ran Jacks this is the best we have come up with so far.

So I’m just wondering if there is anything jumping out at you that I should think about changing?

2. The second not so long winded question I have is what is the Plant Prod Micro product you were taking about earlier in this thread?

That’s it for now I will be sitting in the back with DHF on the floor as he doesn’t think I deserve a bucket just yet. Hopefully some day I will inherit his bucket if he ever does upgrade to a chair!

Peace out,

LJ

LouDog420

LouDog,

A couple of quick questions if you don’t mind.

1. In general under LED how are your Jacks nutrient ratios changing through out the plants life cycle? I have been running Jacks for a little over a year and have been all over the place with the ratios and still don’t feel I’m near dialed in. In veg I run 3.0A 2.5B and add Kelp and Fulvic Acid. This seems to work ok but definitely has room for improvement I think. During Transition I add about 1/2 the recommended dose of Growmore Flowering Cal Mag (which does not have Nitrogen in it) as well as I up my ratios to Jacks recommended 3.79A and 2.52B

For flowering I start dropping Part B/CalNit at 25-50% per week until it’s completely out of the mix by week 7 on a 9 week strain. I supplement the flowering CalMag in place of CalNit in order to take away the majority of the Nitrogen. This gets me pretty close to a 6/9 Lucas nutrient profile starting week 7 when the CalNit is 100% gone. Now I have no idea if what I’m doing makes any sense but it’s basically what DHF and I came up with because I all but refuse to use bottled nutrients and he is a 6/9 and MaxiBloom poster child and has never ran Jacks this is the best we have come up with so far.

So I’m just wondering if there is anything jumping out at you that I should think about changing?

2. The second not so long winded question I have is what is the Plant Prod Micro product you were taking about earlier in this thread?

That’s it for now I will be sitting in the back with DHF on the floor as he doesn’t think I deserve a bucket just yet. Hopefully some day I will inherit his bucket if he ever does upgrade to a chair!

Peace out,

LJ
I keep the feed mostly the same throughout the lifecycle. Double below values for LED except for calmag, watch the N as needed.

321 jacks
0-2.4ml/gal calmag
0-.5g/gal mkp
0.1g/gal pp micro
~1.1ml/gal armor si to ph
0.8ml/gal drip clean

Root bennies when I remember

HID mix generally comes out ~1.5-1.6ec, and LED mix without doubling calmag comes out ~2.6-3.0ec

Looking to swap the armor si for agsil or similar and drop the calmag with calcium alternatives, but simplicity helps and this gets the job done for now.

Upping MKP during transition and flower. Dropping N by dropping calmag in mid/late flower, dropping part b if needed. Then dilute nutes to 50% for a week or so followed by a 10-14 day flush to finish. There's a big difference in flushing 1s vs 10s though. I don't really have a set time to stop or lower feedings, I go by the look as I'm generally running a bunch of different plants off the same res which have different needs and finish times. Definitely not ideal but things seem to stack and quality is there as long as you hit the flush right.

Plant-Prod Chelated Micronutrient via custom hydro nutrients, just some extra micros for the girls and boys.

Considering boosting Ca more, but right now the flowering profile under HIDs is roughly:

N - 132
P - 73
K - 225
Ca - 115
Mg - 85

OG_NoMan

Not Veteran
That looks fantastic! I am planning to wash with a machine and press into rosin this year. Any tips and or tricks you care to share? Looks like your drying the hash on parchment for how long? Are you breaking the buds up or is that from all trim? Thanks for the beautiful show :rasta: