What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

LOST

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
I agree. Hopefully some crazy asshat just wanted a 777, and those people get to go home. Rarely works that way but would sure be nice for a change.

O

OGShaman

Some U.S. investigators are saying the plane's engines sent data that shows the plane flew for 4 more hours after it disappeared. The Malaysians say no way that happened. This story keeps getting stranger.

"U.S. Investigators Suspect Missing Airplane Flew On for Hours" - Link to Story

GreeeeN GRassss

duppy conqueror
Veteran
The two passports used by the Iranians were not reported stolen and they would have been processed thru any airport in the world due to this fact. reports today. british terrorist Saajid Badat the shoe bomber is making claims that it was a device like this that took the plane down.

i hope there still ok. really there phones are still ringing ???

Midnite Toker

Veteran
from the Wall street journal~
Rolls-Royce is the manufacturer of the aircraft’s engines’ onboard monitoring system which periodically transmits live data about aircraft movements, including altitude and speed, in 30-minute increments to ground facilities. The company also did not provide a comment to the Journal directly addressing its report about the potential significance of the transmitted data.

“A total flight time of five hours after departing Kuala Lumpur means the Boeing 777 could have continued for an additional distance of about 2,200 nautical miles, reaching points as far as the Indian Ocean, the border of Pakistan or even the Arabian Sea, based on the jet’s cruising speed,” the Journal wrote.

med_breeder

I get that in the age of Tech, we are spoiled. But one would think that a multi-million dollar piece of tech would have a lo-jack slapped on it. If a 2002 honda civic can be tracked, why not an airliner with hundreds of souls.

just say'in.

GreeeeN GRassss

duppy conqueror
Veteran
I get that in the age of Tech, we are spoiled. But one would think that a multi-million dollar piece of tech would have a lo-jack slapped on it. If a 2002 honda civic can be tracked, why not an airliner with hundreds of souls.

just say'in.

so true, find my iphone can track me anywhere. COVER UP

med_breeder

I am so obsessed with this case. It is upsetting to realize that cars and smartphones can be tracked, but multi-million dollar pieces of technology can't be.

Something strange happened there that's for sure.

They say now that the plane didn't disintegrate in the air from a bomb or structural failure, and that the transponder was turned off and the plane made a number of direction changes and altitude changes after that, so it was being piloted.
For some reason it went up to 45 000 feet which is above the recommended height they are supposed to fly, and then it descended rapidly and then made more altitude changes.
One reason given for it going so high is that the people piloting it wanted the passengers and crew to pass out from oxygen failure.
Or there could have been a fight in the cockpit as people tried to overpower the pilots and maybe the pilots put it in a steep climb to make it hard for people to reach the cockpit.
With all the resources being put into finding it I'm sure it will be found before too long.
I don't think it could have landed anywhere as a plane that size needs a decent size runway to land on, and such runways will be major airports.

justpassnthru

Veteran
LOST: HIJACKED better than dead, i guess.

http://news.yahoo.com/malaysia-airlines-flight-mh370-hijacked--official-says-052949104.html

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 hijacked, official says
Associated Press
6 minutes ago

Investigators have concluded that one or more people with significant flying experience hijacked the missing Malaysia Airlines jet, switched off communication devices and steered it off-course, a Malaysian government official involved in the investigation said Saturday.

No motive has been established and no demands have been made known, and it is not yet clear where the plane was taken, said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to brief the media. The official said that hijacking was no longer a theory.

"It is conclusive," he said.

He said evidence that led to the conclusion were signs that the plane's communications were switched off deliberately, data about the flight path and indications the plane was steered in a way to avoid detection by radar.

The Boeing 777's communication with the ground was severed just under one hour into a flight March 8 from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing. Malaysian officials have said radar data suggest it may have turned back toward and crossed over the Malaysian peninsula after setting out on a northeastern path toward the Chinese capital.

Earlier, an American official told The Associated Press that investigators are examining the possibility of "human intervention" in the plane's disappearance, adding it may have been "an act of piracy."

While other theories are still being examined, the U.S. official said key evidence suggesting human intervention is that contact with the Boeing 777's transponder stopped about a dozen minutes before a messaging system on the jet quit. Such a gap would be unlikely in the case of an in-flight catastrophe.

The Malaysian official said only a skilled aviator could navigate the plane the way it was flown after its last confirmed location over the South China Sea, and that it appeared to have been steered to avoid radar detection. The official said it had been established with a "more than 50 per cent" degree of certainty that military radar had picked up the missing plane after it dropped off civilian radar.

Why anyone would want to do this is unclear. Malaysian authorities and others will be urgently investigating the backgrounds of the two pilots and 10 crew members, as well the 227 passengers on board.

Some experts have said that pilot suicide may be the most likely explanation for the disappearance, as was suspected in a SilkAir crash during a flight from Singapore to Jakarta in 1997 and an EgyptAir flight in 1999.

A massive international search effort began initially in the South China Sea where the plane's transponders stopped transmitting. It has since been expanded onto the other side of the Malay peninsula up into the Andaman Sea and into the Indian Ocean.

The plane had enough fuel to fly for at least five hours after its last know location, meaning a vast swath of South and Southeast Asia would be within its reach. Investigators are analyzing radar and satellite data from around the region to try and pinpoint its final location, something that will be vital to hopes of finding the plane, and answering the mystery of what happened to it
Apparently, no one knew of the "pings" every 30 minutes from the engines. Well, until now..no-one supposedly knew?

Maybe they should send Dennis Rodman to find it?

But if it was a hijack then what was their end game?
I mean they knew of the commercail airlines flight paths, knew how to evade the radar which they did, so they obviously researched it well.
So you would think they would have a researched end plan in place.
Most hijackers land the plane somewhere and hold the passengers hostage while they make demands.
So they would know how much fuel the plane carried and how far it could fly, so you would think if they were going to land it somewhere they would have a landing site chosen within the fuel range.
If they were going to deliberately crash it into the ocean then why not do it straight away, and if it was to draw attention to some cause then why hasn't anyone taken advantage of all the attention and claimed responsibility and then used the public attention to publicise their cause?
It's getting stranger by the minute.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

why the fuck is there still a way to defeat the transponders & any other communication devices, that shit should be hard wired to stay on no matter what the circumstance.

bombadil.360

Andinismo Hierbatero
Veteran
I read somewhere that there were about 20 passengers from some high tech company in that flight, any truth to that? that could be a motive and an end in itself

Yes, they were experts in cyber warfare.
Who would want experts in cyber warfare? Iran? To help combat the Israelis and the US cyber fucking with their nuclear program?
They say the plane could of reached Iran or Pakistan or Afghanistan.

Then again it could have been taken to be used in the future in some sort of 9/11 attack.

I think it might come out that this could have only been done with the co-operation of some nation providing them with a runway and other assistance.

I mean, Malaysia is mainly a musim country, maybe the pilot was an sympathiser with some muslim cause and he was part of the plot.

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
The two passports used by the Iranians were not reported stolen and they would have been processed thru any airport in the world due to this fact. reports today. british terrorist Saajid Badat the shoe bomber is making claims that it was a device like this that took the plane down.

i hope there still ok. really there phones are still ringing ???

No the passports were reported stolen one from 2 years ago and the other from about one year ago. Both were in Interpol's database of lost/stolen passports but for whatever reason the airport where the passengers boarded didn't check. The bottomline is few if any of the airports around the world check all passports against the database because it would be time prohibitive to do so. Instead they only check when someone behaves or presents in a way that arouses suspicion. If however someone can keep their cool and not raise any red flags and they do a sufficiently good job on the passport with the photo then it's possible to get on board a plane using stolen passports virtually anywhere.

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
Yes, they were experts in cyber warfare.
Who would want experts in cyber warfare? Iran? To help combat the Israelis and the US cyber fucking with their nuclear program?
They say the plane could of reached Iran or Pakistan or Afghanistan.

Then again it could have been taken to be used in the future in some sort of 9/11 attack.

I think it might come out that this could have only been done with the co-operation of some nation providing them with a runway and other assistance.

I mean, Malaysia is mainly a musim country, maybe the pilot was an sympathiser with some muslim cause and he was part of the plot.

They've been looking very closely at the backgrounds of the two pilots and are finding absolutely nothing to even remotely hint they might have been involved. They are pretty convinced though that whatever happened was deliberate and the plane going missing was not the result of any sort of mechanical failure.

The oddest thing right now is the fact that nobody believable has claimed responsibility. I heard early on that there was a new never before heard of terrorist group based in China that claimed responsibility but that was more or less dismissed in the same story that reported the claim and I've heard no mention of it since.

I have to agree with Stoner4life that it is unbelievable that someone can just simply turn the communications off. I can't think of any good reason why a passenger plane like this should ever need to turn their transponders and communication off but plenty of good reasons why they should be made all but impossible if not impossible to turn off. The sad reality to why any of this is possible is the people with the money to be able to prevent this sort of thing like so many other avoidable problems that lead to disaster and tragedy are able to not do everything possible to protect things just to fatten their bottomline.

The only good thing to all this is now there is reason to have hope the passengers on board are still alive.