What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Looking for a growers job in Colorado

advertize in ragz man. pass out biz cardz at any function. network
Throwing down piles of cards, no matter how eye catching, is a mixed bag at best. For every 100 or so cards that get absent mindedly grabbed, you get 1-2 inquiries, and those are usually from individuals, not companies looking to hire. Be an individual, not a business card, and you'll find a place that wants to hire you and not an image.

pumpkinpie eyes

Veteran
Throwing down piles of cards, no matter how eye catching, is a mixed bag at best. For every 100 or so cards that get absent mindedly grabbed, you get 1-2 inquiries, and those are usually from individuals, not companies looking to hire. Be an individual, not a business card, and you'll find a place that wants to hire you and not an image.

Thatz like anything self promotional. 1-2 inquiriez, the right folkz, word spreadz. better than fingerz drumming, a poke in the eye.

Thatz like anything self promotional. 1-2 inquiriez, the right folkz, word spreadz. better than fingerz drumming, a poke in the eye.
I wasted way too much time and energy on the self promotion game to ever advise anyone to do the same, and honestly, glad I didn't end up getting lucky in that arena, the industry is full of random lucky types who spend most of their time convincing themselves and projecting to the public that they're worthy of their own hype, the companies that fill themselves with people like that tend to be quick to peak and short lived.

Hydro8

industry is full of random lucky types who spend most of their time convincing themselves and projecting to the public that they're worthy of their own hype, the companies that fill themselves with people like that tend to be quick to peak and short lived.

That's why I do not even mess with the cannabis industry at this time. It is full of bullshit people, they all grow the best pot, 3lbs per 100watts, 30% thc, turn $10k into $1million every week. The shit is too deep and smelly for me.

Under all the shallow marketing they are ripping each other off right and left then disappearing leaving all their bills un-paid.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
We started out pre legalization helping MMJ folks who couldn't grow. It morphed from there when legalization happened. Business cards at any event, free gear, dispensaries getting to know us. There are numerous ways to introduce yourself. Cannabis publications, business cards, Bong A Thon.....

We started out pre legalization helping MMJ folks who couldn't grow. It morphed from there when legalization happened. Business cards at any event, free gear, dispensaries getting to know us. There are numerous ways to introduce yourself. Cannabis publications, business cards, Bong A Thon.....
Yet at such events, a soft spoken person who provides quality will be lost in the crowd 9.9/10 times, that was me. Better product, better cure, better concentrate, better everything, yet because I wasn't dancing around like a 20 something spouting the latest instagram slang, I was ignored. Social media is poison to quality, both in product, and in people.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You give sound advice.

You give sound advice.

Yet at such events, a soft spoken person who provides quality will be lost in the crowd 9.9/10 times, that was me. Better product, better cure, better concentrate, better everything, yet because I wasn't dancing around like a 20 something spouting the latest instagram slang, I was ignored. Social media is poison to quality, both in product, and in people.

You’re so right man.

I’ve got business cards, and I’ve done marketing. I’ve been doing this in 4 different states for 17 years. I was part of the overgrow movement. I sent clones around the globe. I’ve done every aspect of this business. It doesn’t mean shit to modern corporations. They want someone who not only knows their shit, but also someone who will learn their program and do it their way. Which I am fine with because I can’t provide an accurate constructive critique of their methods if I don’t understand how and why they are operating the way they do.

Especially with the size of these industrial grows. I’ve run some good sized grows, but nothing like what Colorado grow corporations are building now. I have a lot to learn in that aspect, and I am eager to do so. I’ve got my quality grow game down. Now it’s time to get my big business game down.

Even if I have to start from the bottom. I’ll work my ass off and work my way up. After that, I will be able to contribute more effectively to a large scale business. In my opinion this is a much more effective route than dancing around at trade shows and cannabis cups, trying to get investors to give me another start up that may or may not fail. Leaving me back at square one. Again.

There is no substitution for a little humility, hard work, a good attitude, and experience derived from those things.

Last edited:

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That's why I do not even mess with the cannabis industry at this time. It is full of bullshit people, they all grow the best pot, 3lbs per 100watts, 30% thc, turn $10k into $1million every week. The shit is too deep and smelly for me.

Under all the shallow marketing they are ripping each other off right and left then disappearing leaving all their bills un-paid.

This is why I want to work with an established, reputable business that’s not going anywhere. I’ve done two start ups, and been though all the bullshit of the industry before and after legality. I was not even trying to get rich like most of the egotistical show offs in this industry. I just wanted to help sick people and live comfortably. That’s still my main goal.

monsoon

Best wishes on your quest.

If you have ethics...you may be in for a big surprise. A dear friend went down this path when MED hit...then transitioned to REC...working his way up to "Master Grower". He has had 3 different jobs...3 different producers....and he has WALKED from each one because they tried to force him to send out sprayed/infested/shit product. Refusal means termination. He's back to growing on the side and helping his old lady with her trim biz.

Again...best of luck...and I hope you find some folks who aren't schiesters out there...

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
With several states up for recreational, I'd think that market would not be as saturated. Best of everything in your quest.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Best wishes on your quest.

If you have ethics...you may be in for a big surprise. A dear friend went down this path when MED hit...then transitioned to REC...working his way up to "Master Grower". He has had 3 different jobs...3 different producers....and he has WALKED from each one because they tried to force him to send out sprayed/infested/shit product. Refusal means termination. He's back to growing on the side and helping his old lady with her trim biz.

Again...best of luck...and I hope you find some folks who aren't schiesters out there...

I have turned down a few grows because they were super sketchy, and their weed looked bad.

It looks like I have found a good grow to work for. It’s not official until they let me sign employment papers, but it is looking good for sure. Their facility is very impressive, and management has been very professional so far. I’m pretty excited.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yes, Hash...you'll find an opportunity...and good you are selective in choosing gigs.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well, I’m back on the hunt. The place I got a job was big, but it was a big joke. I quit the second day. Nobody knew what was going on. The general manager wasn’t even there when I got there, and nobody even knew I was supposed to be there. They emailed the manager, and when he emailed them back he said I was supposed to train with them in veg. Instead of doing that, they blew him off and stuck me in a corner to clean pots and wash hydroton for 8 hours. They don’t even use the hydroton the right way, and they grow in the whole facility with it. The place is a 55,000 square foot mess. Every root system had the first stages of root rot or worse. People were operating forklifts wearing headphones. Their “sanitation” process was pointless because it didn’t sanitize anything. Their feeding method was illogical to say the least. The parking lot isn’t even paved, and people were tracking mud in to the facility. Most of the people were visibly unhappy. Half the people I talked to told me the place was a revolving door. The employees talked poorly about the place, and the management. Plus sitting in traffic to get there at 7:30 in the morning and leave at 4:30 in the afternoon was a pain. What is the point of getting there so early if everybody has to fight traffic both ways? I had to wake up at 4:45 am to get there on time. They’d have to pay me three times what they offered me to work there. Even in an entry level position.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It is a tough life in the El Frieda Bonita Portal triad need a little more grit than most. Nobody is going to trust your skill till they give their acceptance a virtue earned by timeless experience.

Well I have almost 18 years of experience in growing and 12 years experience in running a small business. I also have a clean record even though I grew for a decade in a non legal state.

Hydro8

IndoExpo is in 2-weeks. I was looking at the list their is a good number of business are setting up there. If you are still looking it might be worth your time to take a few business cards and wander around and try to connect with people.

sdd420

Veteran
Well I have almost 18 years of experience in growing and 12 years experience in running a small business. I also have a clean record even though I grew for a decade in a non legal state.

Your Bay Area backyard setup was very nice. If only they could see it and see your passion as well. Keep it green bro

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
IndoExpo is in 2-weeks. I was looking at the list their is a good number of business are setting up there. If you are still looking it might be worth your time to take a few business cards and wander around and try to connect with people.

Awesome. I’ll give it a go!

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Your Bay Area backyard setup was very nice. If only they could see it and see your passion as well. Keep it green bro

Ty! I wish I still could do it, but the state, county and city changed the laws on us. Legalization has been a huge flop in CA. The black market got larger, and the legal market shrank. Which we all knew would happen because the regulations and taxes were to steep.