What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Look at my first set up and tell me what I am doing wrong!

I hope this is where this post belongs. Also, the room is still kinda dirty with construction stuff. That will be out before I put the girls in there.

Hello again,
Its me Douche`, I wanted to see what ya'll thought about my set up.
If you see something that you know will be an issue please let me know. If you see anything really, I just can not afford to buy anything else. I just lost my job. (should anyone find my job let me know, I am going more crazy than ever without a job.)

Thanks for any input you may have.

I have the room entirely covered in Thermoshield. Filled cracks with expanding foam and then latex caulk then I taped over that with HVAC tape. I then covered the floor with 1/2 inch plywood. I built a half wall and put a door in it and sealed that.

This is the ballast's. Quantum's 1000w. You can also see the Co2 controller.

This is the Controller with the generator.

Here are the 3 Adjust-a-wings. They are hung on a pulley with the cable ran to the wall so that I can adjust them.

This is the Undercurrent6 with the lights on @ 100% (you can see the drywall for the outside of the door, I have yet to finish this. That should be finished in the next2-3 days.)

This is my 2 ton A/C mini split and the epicenter of the Uc6. You can also see my sound bar and the sub woofer.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
You've got a very nice setup. I like the pvc pipe vs hose... no root clog.

How does your fan and scrubber work? Are those styrofoam cups full of carbon? A carbon shell or wall might breath easier than a full cylinder. With the size of your setup, you might need a much larger scrubber. Best wishes with your grows.

Doesn't look like your first set of pics is linked/hosted. I checked out your journal instead. Let us know if you have any trouble linking pics.

Make your albums public if that is what you used to host your pictures.

Sorry about that, try again. Also, did you expect anything less from some dude name Douche_Bigalow. I can Eff up someone else's wet dream. That is how much of a Douche I am.

You've got a very nice setup. I like the pvc pipe vs hose... no root clog.
Yeah, that is the main reason I picked UC. It also is pertnear idiot proof.

How does your fan and scrubber work? Are those styrofoam cups full of carbon? A carbon shell or wall might breath easier than a full cylinder. With the size of your setup, you might need a much larger scrubber. Best wishes with your grows.

I have that 4 inch Y pipe thingy and I tube sock (Yes it is really a tube sock) filled with activated carbon and shoved it in the hole. It then cleans the air. It has worked well here and in other applications that I have used it in. I may need a larger one but I lost my job last week so my budget went from ; whatever I needed to no money for you. To be honest I made it from what I had. Any ideas or tips on how to get that bastard working better would be great.
I have no clue what a shell or wall is when it comes to carbon. I will look it up when I can I am super busy trying to make the bed for the girls. They are ready to be put to bed. I just reread what you have said and there are styrofoam cups in my set up.
:plant grow:
Doesn't look like your first set of pics is linked/hosted. I checked out your journal instead. Let us know if you have any trouble linking pics.

Well arnt you just the stalker type. Looking at a journal I did not even know I had. I got the private/public thing fixed. Is there a better place to host them?

Thank you for taking a look.

Last edited:

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Can see them now ... looks like a nice clean set up . can't wait to see it finished & up & running .

don't think the sock full of carbon is gonna work for ya .... your gonna need a scrubber in about a month or less . so ya have a little time to come up with the scratch . (been in those shoes a few times ) .

good luck man ...i'll be watchin . :)

Can see them now ... looks like a nice clean set up . can't wait to see it finished & up & running .

don't think the sock full of carbon is gonna work for ya .... your gonna need a scrubber in about a month or less . so ya have a little time to come up with the scratch . (been in those shoes a few times ) .

good luck man ...i'll be watchin . :)

Good news, I bought the y pipe so that I can have one fan with two socks. That should be enough...Right?

All kidding aside, this was not a planned job evacuation. I literally have no more money to put in to this.

I am sure that I will get it all figured out, somehow.

B

Bud Light

Nice setup ,You can DIY a scrubber for short $ I believe it can be found in the grow room and design thread.

biggest prob i see is the funds ,your gonna need nutes for a cycle , meters ,and that room probably gonna run 150 to 200 a month in electric,Then some quality genetics.If you got these things covered you should be good to go

Nice setup ,You can DIY a scrubber for short $ I believe it can be found in the grow room and design thread.

biggest prob i see is the funds ,your gonna need nutes for a cycle , meters ,and that room probably gonna run 150 to 200 a month in electric,Then some quality genetics.If you got these things covered you should be good to go

I will head over there and read about the cheap scrubber. I have nutes, Genetics are covered and paid in advance. Electric is prepaid up a grand. I have been adding a 100$ extra a month for just this reason. I just need to get through one cycle and all my world will be Karmicly balanced yet again.

Thanks for stopping by.

B

Bud Light

Sounds like your good to go
good luck.BTW I know all about the job thing .the economy flat out sucks

Sounds like your good to go
good luck.BTW I know all about the job thing .the economy flat out sucks

I know right, I turn in my resume to clean bathrooms and they are like "you are way over qualified". I can not not give them my work history cause if they hire me and check the work history if it is not right it looks bad. Oh and I do not know Spanish and I live in Southern Cali. Although in my defense I am american and speak English well.

Bud Light, I wanted to let you know something. When using an Android device and you select a word from the auto text that pops up on the screen it auto adds a space. Then, when you hit the space bar to give it the correct space it will add a space and a period. This is intended as a shortcut but reeks havoc if the person typing does not know about it. I personally do not care when this happens to me as I do not care enough and the person should get the point. Just tossing this out there in case you did not know what was causing it.

Last edited:

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Yeah, that is the main reason I picked UC. It also is pertnear idiot proof.

I have that 4 inch Y pipe thingy and I tube sock (Yes it is really a tube sock) filled with activated carbon and shoved it in the hole. It then cleans the air. It has worked well here and in other applications that I have used it in. I may need a larger one but I lost my job last week so my budget went from ; whatever I needed to no money for you. To be honest I made it from what I had. Any ideas or tips on how to get that bastard working better would be great.
I have no clue what a shell or wall is when it comes to carbon. I will look it up when I can I am super busy trying to make the bed for the girls. They are ready to be put to bed. I just reread what you have said and there are styrofoam cups in my set up.
:plant grow:

Well arnt you just the stalker type. Looking at a journal I did not even know I had. I got the private/public thing fixed. Is there a better place to host them?

Thank you for taking a look.

If your scrubber is working then it's all good. A shell or wall is a small container inside a big one. Carbon is suspended between the two containers, forming a layer of carbon as opposed to full-of-carbon... breaths easier and there's less static pressure on the fan.

IMO, hosting here is safe. HTTPS and overseas server... less chance Leo will mess with us.

If your scrubber is working then it's all good. A shell or wall is a small container inside a big one. Carbon is suspended between the two containers, forming a layer of carbon as opposed to full-of-carbon... breaths easier and there's less static pressure on the fan.

IMO, hosting here is safe. HTTPS and overseas server... less chance Leo will mess with us.

The scrubber is kind of working. It is having the draw issue that you spoke of in the quoted post. I am thinking of getting a hamster ball. I am pretty sure that you can take them apart and they are halfed. and just drilling a few holes in it (it should have the long skinny slots all around it, these holes are to hold the ball and the filter together.) Get a few zip ties and zip tie a semi ridgid sheet of plastic around the open end of the hamster ball. When putting this on make it look like a cone with the small end being .5-1.0 inches smaller than the dryer vent hose that we all use for this.

Just an Idea, I will need to get a hamster ball. I think I have the rest.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
The scrubber is kind of working. It is having the draw issue that you spoke of in the quoted post. I am thinking of getting a hamster ball. I am pretty sure that you can take them apart and they are halfed. and just drilling a few holes in it (it should have the long skinny slots all around it, these holes are to hold the ball and the filter together.) Get a few zip ties and zip tie a semi ridgid sheet of plastic around the open end of the hamster ball. When putting this on make it look like a cone with the small end being .5-1.0 inches smaller than the dryer vent hose that we all use for this.

Just an Idea, I will need to get a hamster ball. I think I have the rest.

If you don't mind the suggestion, you'd have to drill lots of holes and they'd have to be evenly spaced for effective breathing/scrubbing.

Something like a couple of hydroponic net pots would keep you from having to drill. I used steel-mesh pencil cans for a small grow. I've also seen a scrubber made from a couple of colanders. Best wishes with whatever you decide.

If you don't mind the suggestion, you'd have to drill lots of holes and they'd have to be evenly spaced for effective breathing/scrubbing.

Something like a couple of hydroponic net pots would keep you from having to drill. I used steel-mesh pencil cans for a small grow. I've also seen a scrubber made from a couple of colanders. Best wishes with whatever you decide.

Giggity, I just broke my colander (spagetti bowl is what I was raised calling it) washing my red volcano rocks to use as my medium.

So If I have the colander with a broken handle (all plastic)....Wait you said "I used steel-mesh pencil cans for a small grow" like the ones from wal mart for like 2 bucks? I have one of them and I bet the wife will not even notice it missing. I have looked and I can not find the DIY scrubber thread. If anyone has a link I would Forever grateful*.

*: When referring to Forever grateful as a time line "forever" is meant to be a 24 hour time-frame from when first said until 24 hours later.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
LOL, you have a great sense of humor.

Here's a great diy scrubber thread. Not because of the title, it actually indicates 'x' length per 'y' diameter.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=31679&highlight=dummies

I dont think the pencil can will work for your size grow. A scrubber about the size of an umbrella can is what it'll most likely take.

To get an idea of the size you need, calculate the cubic feet of your grow area. Manufacturers rate and advertise scrubbers according to how much room they'll scrub. Your scrubber would need to be in the same neighborhood.

Many growers advise to err on the side of caution. Meaning if you're not sure a particular size will kill the stank, go with the next larger size.

You've got a great start. Do what you can but remember smell could reveal your hobby.

Want a good laugh? Here's my plywood and gutter guard scrubber. I call it the 'gutter trash' scrubber.:D The flange for the fan is made from a peanut can. The pencil can is in the pics... it's very small.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=12723

Walmart sells steel mesh trash cans. You'd have to get or fashion an air duct reducer to make up the size difference between the fan and trash can diameters.

LOL, you have a great sense of humor.

Here's a great diy scrubber thread. Not because of the title, it actually indicates 'x' length per 'y' diameter.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=31679&highlight=dummies

I dont think the pencil can will work for your size grow. A scrubber about the size of an umbrella can is what it'll most likely take.

To get an idea of the size you need, calculate the cubic feet of your grow area. Manufacturers rate and advertise scrubbers according to how much room they'll scrub. Your scrubber would need to be in the same neighborhood.

Many growers advise to err on the side of caution. Meaning if you're not sure a particular size will kill the stank, go with the next larger size.

You've got a great start. Do what you can but remember smell could reveal your hobby.

Want a good laugh? Here's my plywood and gutter guard scrubber. I call it the 'gutter trash' scrubber.:D The flange for the fan is made from a peanut can. The pencil can is in the pics... it's very small.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=12723

Walmart sells steel mesh trash cans. You'd have to get or fashion an air duct reducer to make up the size difference between the fan and trash can diameters.

No sir, I will not laugh at that. If you had not told me that it was made from a trash can I would not have known. Excellent job!

I will work on the scrubber once I get down the PPM pH and cO2 levels figured out.

Latest posts

Latest posts