What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Lolab Valley Kashmiri

Breadwizard

Trics were plentiful, however small. These were the smallest ones I've ever worked with, the only one being close was First Lady from odeli, an inbred old-school mexican selection.

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
Sourced through the Indian Landrace Exchange (through Ace). These are the smallest seeds I've ever worked with, germination rate was 8/24, I had a hell of a time getting them to sprout using my usual methods, ended up tossing them all into a seed tray, how I typically sprout other veggies. Seen here with pepper seedlings.
View Image
I transferred everything to solo cups with a light soil mix so as to not burn the seedlings. Here's after a couple of weeks.
View Image
I've never dealt with plants with a dwarfing habit, but these are crazy. Branching out at 3 nodes, hardly any room between nodes, here's an early photo before topping to get clones for sexing.
View Image
Here's a untopped one at about 4 weeks.
View Image
Next post will go into some of the early showing traits in the seedlings. Plan is to do a preservation open pollination, and outcross to a few early lines for experimental early outdoor plants. I hope they end up getting bigger, these look really small!

More updates to follow later.

Were the seeds tiny like this one from Nepal?

picture.php

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Was looking to get this as the head guy at Indian Landrace said it was his favorite. Not sure what to make of this now. No effect or not much and poor germination.

I realize phenos will vary but having a pheno that is hay is not good.

ngakpa

Veteran
As ganja, this line will need some intensive inbreeding, or an outcross, but to make hash with it has definite promise

hi

fwiw, it can't ever be actual ganja, because ganja only comes from actual ganja domesticates

and those are found in the tropics and subtropics, plants like Thai and Keralan domesticates etc.

what you get from weedy wild-type plants such as this Kashmiri is "pati" or "bhang"

even grown as sensi, it's not real ganja imo

for making hash, these kind of plants you need to grow a whole bunch and then make hash from all of them

that or select the better ones to make hash from

the name for that type of resin is "jungli" - can be lovely smoke, albeit a bit rough usually

from a biodiversity perspective, these are very significant plants, but they're unrefined and weedy, obviously

Breadwizard

Thanks for the correction info ngakpa, you've definitely got a better handle on the terms for these sorts of plants than I do.

I'm here with a mini update: as these plants shed their seeds freely, I got a few that sprouted up in the used soil after a rainstorm, so I let them grow out in the pots they were already in. My open patio gets about 4 hours of direct sun in fall/winter, and I only gave them plain water if the pots felt dry between rains. Very hearty plants. I only got one female from the three that popped up, and it thrived through poor conditions, wind, cold evenings and general neglect. Here's a picture of the top "bud" after a rough trim. The smell is quite nice, lemon with a lavander/floral aspect, maybe iris-like. I'll probably toss these into my next extraction run, as the plant was small and didn't yeld much (I wasn't expecting much, and viewed these as bonus plants). Very incognito, I don't think any of my neighbors would know what these were, especially when they began to color up.
picture.php

I did a few crosses with the first run of seeds, and I plan on running a few come spring and summer next year, to see what traits they pass on. I crossed them with a long flowering sativa hybrid, a Syrian hash plant from RSC, and a PNW outdoor selection. It will be interesting to see how the Lolab effects these lines differently.

therevverend

Veteran
fwiw, it can't ever be actual ganja, because ganja only comes from actual ganja domesticates

If cannabis flowers you smoke are not ganja what do you call it then? Weed? Isn't ganja by definition cannabis flowers for smoking and hash charas? In other words, you're saying that if you were to buy cannabis flowers on the street in India it wouldn't be called ganja if it came from a wild plant or a hashplant. What is the term for flowers for smoking from plants that weren't cultivars from lines grown specifically for flowers? Is it really something different? How would you certify that it's truly from a strain grown for flowers? And couldn't you make hash out of a line bred for flowers?

therevverend

Veteran
I looked up the legal definition for these terms in India. This should clarify things a bit for you ngpka since you seem a little confused on this matter. The Indian government defined the terms chaas, ganja, and bhang in the Narcotics Drugs and Psychotropic Substances Act, 1985. The Indian government says, which I assume is the consensus of the ganja experts of India that

Charas is

“the separated resin, in whatever form, whether crude or purified, obtained from the cannabis plant and also includes concentrated preparation and resin known as hashish oil or liquid hashish”

Ganja is “the flowering or fruiting tops of the cannabis plant (excluding the seeds and leaves when not accompanied by the tops)”

Bhang is: the leaves and seeds of the cannabis plant which the government allows the states to regulate while the ganja and charas is illegal.

So Breadwizard, you are correct to refer to the flowers you have harvested and dried from your plants as 'ganja'. No one would ever bother drying and curing a Lolab Valley flower so of course they don't call the plants 'ganja'. But if someone did it would be called ganja, same as any other flower from any other type of cannabis plant. Since the villagers name their plants' types by what their utility is for their community.

Breadwizard

I recently popped a few of my experimental Lolab crosses, to see what they do in an outcross. It seems that the genes for dwarfism is dominant in this line. In the picture the two seeds came up within a couple days of each other. The right is a PNW outdoor female with Lolab used as the pollen donor. The left is a First Lady cross, and is a pretty typical sized plant for the age. You can really see how the Lolab Kashmiri has effected the plants architecture in the innernode length, and the branchyness. It may be hard to tell from the picture, but the lower branches come off at almost a 90 degree angle from the main stem.
picture.php

Breadwizard

picture.php

Same plant, mid flower. The mother had purpling on the buds as well, but later presenting than this. It looks like a dwarfed version of a full size plant: a branched conical Christmas tree shape that's about 16" tall, and 10" wide diameter from the furthest branches

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well they are cute plants at least. Hope you get a stronger pheno, there must be one in there somewhere. You may have to TRY to germinate 100 or more seeds to find it though.

I have a pack of this. I would make a LOT of f2 seeds and then the real search begins. Start with the best plant's seeds.

Breadwizard

Update on the cross, it's closing in on finishing. The fade has begun, and it is shedding lower fan leaves. Aroma is fruity sour lemon with forest berry notes, like currant or blackberry. It just put out another splay of fresh hairs, but the trics are all cloudy, with less than 1% amber.
picture.php

picture.php

Breadwizard

This plant got the chop today. Trics were all cloudy with about 5% amber. Aroma has picked up a little over-ripe musk melon to go with the lemon and dark forest fruit.
picture.php

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
Really nice looking plants looks just like this strain we had in the early 80s i got from a school mate very sweet tasting smoke and nice strong high. My cuisine loved it grew it and only it for years.

Breadwizard

Mini update: I had noted how readily this strain freely sheds ripe seeds, but I really hadn't had many pop up in the pots that previously housed the Lolab plants, but kept them separated from the rest of my soil just in case. Turns out this was a good idea, as after a decent sized storm and some sun, I have about 15 volunteer sprouts coming up in a few different places throughout my garden. The pots (with soil) from the previous years grow, as well as sprouts from the original seed tray from last year! That means some of the original seeds hung out in the soil for a whole year before sprouting at the first mark of spring! These things really want to survive.

I'll be transplanting the best looking ones, and doing another open pollination with the better individuals.