What's new

Lockout?

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I use them at different stages of growth.. In veg I use PPM in flower I use EC.. Nutrient vendors will list their feed in PPM and EC values never in TDS.

ppm/TDS use scaling factors EC doesn't..

420PyRoS

TDS doesn't make sense imo, for any of us.

PPM is a bit of a rabbit hole going from ferts being made to what's calculated in the water by ppm, from a calculation made by an EC reading, which is why we try to say just go by EC when measuring water and skip the extra ppm step stuff.

@Hammerhead

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I don't like using EC in veg. PPM works better for me. All I know use PPM in veg. It's not that complicated.

420PyRoS

I don't like using EC in veg. PPM works better for me. All I know use PPM in veg. It's not that complicated.
But it doesn't mean anything. It's just a meaningless calculation made based off EC lol

You might as well just use EC. 🤷
If we're talking water...

420PyRoS

Not for me it's what I use to grow healthy plants. I don't just wing it. Using EC for veg doesn't work for me as the EC values don't change much. PPM I can see small changes.
The values do matter for fine tuning if you use EC like 0.69 format

PPM just an extra weird step lol

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It's not any extra lol. The meter is set to PPM just like it's set for EC. Notheing else needs to be done. It's not complicated at all using PPM I see no extra step using it. No one uses below 1ec in flower most hydro guys use 2ec or more. Im in soil and never use more than 1.3ec. My bluelab guardian's will not measure 3 decimal accuracy in EC setting

Last edited:

420PyRoS

It's not any extra lol. The meter is set to PPM just like it's set for EC. Notheing else needs to be done. It's not complicated at all using PPM I see no extra step using it. No one uses below 1ec in flower most hydro guys use 2ec or more. Im in soil and never use more than 1.3ec. My bluelab guardian's meter will not measure 3 decimal accuracy in EC setting
Well its not extra step in your sense that it converts it automatically from EC to ppm sure. It's just mathematically and scientifically redundant. It makes no sense.

420PyRoS

I guess this will ruffle feathers. Think of it like this. The metric system, a great system to base measurement. But its really redundant, complicated and pointless to a means to convert to imperial. This is why most everywhere uses metric. Hint (USA)

But EC is even more pure in its stance as the ONLY true measurement of water for cannabis (aside testing whats in it). Thee BASE measurement.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Na, everyone in the USA prefers Metric. The USA is not normal and always doesn't shit differently.

Growing weed isn't as complicated as many make it to be,.

420PyRoS

Na, everyone in the USA prefers Metric. The USA is not normal and always doesn't shit differently.

Growing weed isn't as complicated as many make it to be,.
It's super not complicated. I find through my experiences, career and mixed with cannabis growing, is that its super easy to grow weed if you don't over complicate it. It gets complicated I find when you have to juggle a giant grow by yourself without some form of automation or partnership.

I'm a lowly little solo grower when/where I can. I work with the pharmaceutical robotics/automation side of things currently mass producing drugs for the north american market. Former Navy Marine Engineer. Dad.

I love cannabis automation. But in simple form.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The Grower's experience has a much bigger impact on the quality grown. It's meticulous work.. Growing cannabis in general is easy

Ca++

I use them at different stages of growth.. In veg I use PPM in flower I use EC.. Nutrient vendors will list their feed in PPM and EC values never in TDS.

ppm/TDS use scaling factors EC doesn't..
They can't list in TDS, it isn't possible. You can't have your 360 TDS. You can have 1 ppm, 1 ec, 1 mile, 1 apple, but you can't have 1 TDS. It's not a unit of measurement. The numbers are not important here, it's the units. There is no unit called a TDS. It's nonsense. They are literally making it up.
TDS is total dissolved solids, and as such is spoke of in parts per million.
You can't measure parts per million with that thing you have. It can only measure EC (conductivity) and from that, it guesstimates the PPM. It can only measure things that actually conduct though. Ionic things.

For a strongly ionic solution, TDS is calculated from EC with the 500 multiplier. For weaker ionic solutions such as ours, TDS is calculated from EC using the 700 scale. The answer to that maths, is how many PPM of dissolved solids there are. Not how many TDS there are. A TDS is simply not a unit of measurement.

The only meters we can all buy, which are the same everywhere, are EC meters.
Some read down to 1mS which is 0.001 (0.7ppm) and some read down to 1uS which is 0.000001 (0.0007ppm)
Universally, we talk mS and a cheap meter has no business having 3 decimal places. We can settle for an EC meter that reads in mS with just a 0.00 display. That means it counts in increments of similar size to 7PPM.
Everyone from newbies to nasa guys can chat away in harmony using EC. Though the ones in mS are for us, and the ones in uS are for pure water applications. They will count up to our levels though. Just with the decimal point in the wrong place. I think we just saw such a meter in London.

It's pretty moronic that we can share pH readings, but decades after the first internet forums, we still can't share how strong our feed is reliably. Or understand that we can't. Like a missis who thinks the seat should be left down, but not the lid. It's living in cloud cuckoo land

Ca++

Not for me it's what I use to grow healthy plants. I don't just wing it. Using EC for veg doesn't work for me as the EC values don't change much. PPM I can see small changes.
Looking up your meter, I'm disappointed to say you are right. The EC resolution is 0.0 not 0.00
You PPM counts in 10s so you can get within 10ppm.
If we look at EC1.0 that is 700ppm and is moving not in 10ppm increments, but in 70ppm increments.
Targeting an EC of 1.0 isn't that uncommon, and to find a 10% increment in measurement there is what disappoints me.

I have the truncheons. They have a light every 0.2 on the EC scale. However it flashes between the lights in an intuitive way, like 4 of one, to one of the other, and such. Giving 5% increments at around EC 1.0
However, I have 3 such sticks here, all original blue lab, all nowhere near what they should read, or in any agreement between them. You should really forget about that promise of not needing calibration, and check them often. Which makes the whole resolution business a bit mute.
Not cheap either. Some of mine had lifetime guaranty, but were exchanged for newer ones, which no longer have it. Which are duff.

Edit: Hanna on TDS measurement. It's very short, and to the point

Last edited:

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Looking up your meter, I'm disappointed to say you are right. The EC resolution is 0.0 not 0.00
You PPM counts in 10s so you can get within 10ppm.
If we look at EC1.0 that is 700ppm and is moving not in 10ppm increments, but in 70ppm increments.
Targeting an EC of 1.0 isn't that uncommon, and to find a 10% increment in measurement there is what disappoints me.

I have the truncheons. They have a light every 0.2 on the EC scale. However it flashes between the lights in an intuitive way, like 4 of one, to one of the other, and such. Giving 5% increments at around EC 1.0
However, I have 3 such sticks here, all original blue lab, all nowhere near what they should read, or in any agreement between them. You should really forget about that promise of not needing calibration, and check them often. Which makes the whole resolution business a bit mute.
Not cheap either. Some of mine had lifetime guaranty, but were exchanged for newer ones, which no longer have it. Which are duff.

People will argue about the most trivial nonsense.. You are making it way harder than it needs to be for the OP.. I don't care how you measure. Helping this guy isn't as hard as your making it. I digress as its just dumb to continue. I wish the best outcome for the OP.

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
People will argue about the most trivial nonsense.. You are making it way harder than it needs to be for the OP.. I don't care how you measure. Helping this guy isn't as hard as your making it. I digress as its just dumb to continue. I wish the best outcome for the OP.
Agreed, somehow this thread became about TDS vs PPM, etc.

The basic message is: leave the water out for a day or so, and don't add calcium.

Latest posts

Latest posts