What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Local materials

40degsouth

Thanks h.h.,
sounds wonderful but not so local here. I have seen similar looking plants, l might get them identified and try fermenting them, a la Tang’s cob method? It’d be an interesting experiment if nothing else.
I’ve been meaning to report on an “alternative to perlite” experiment I’ve been conducting over the last few years and l think l may as well do it here.
It was regarding cuttlefish and l can report that crushed up and activated, like charcoal, they remain stationary in the horizon of soil they were put in, i.e. they don’t seem to float. They aren’t eaten by worms or microbes like charcoal is.
Initial results are very promising and probably better trialled by indoor growers or growers with smaller volumes of soil than l do.
Cheers,

Last edited:

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
picture.php

About one year after beginning with about 1 kilo of tiny worms, I now have 8 bins packed with worms. Most of the bins were neglected for 2 weeks at a time and over wet. The Kelly Slocum method:)

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
We began our thermophylic composting experiment using dry leaves and horse manure. I was originally going to go with my gut and mix 15:1 leaves to horse manure but all the literature indicated that horse manure by itself was the correct beginning ratio of 25 to 27 so we mixed it at 5:1.

The next day it hit 160 F ... on the hot side of that required, so it was turned - forked from one stall to the next. On average it has hit 160 every 2 days, often 1 day thus requiring turning. At this pace it may finish in a month and be ready for worms. If this succeeds we will build many more stalls to supply the community.

Next mix, I may listen to my gut.

picture.php

picture.php

St. Phatty

View Image

About one year after beginning with about 1 kilo of tiny worms, I now have 8 bins packed with worms. Most of the bins were neglected for 2 weeks at a time and over wet. The Kelly Slocum method:)

i have about 25 gallons of buds and banana peels composting.

wanted to give them some worms. every time i move something outdoors, there's often worms on the ground underneath.

so far i've collected maybe 150 red worms and earth worms.

but it takes a while for them to multiply.

i was hoping to have the entire container turned to worm castings by July 1.

" The population of worms can double every three months."

so I'll have a boatload by July 1, 2021.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
A sativa throwback? Whad'ya think? There were 3 plants from the same seeds (harvested by moi) in the same container which already were finished with fatish colas and chopped.

picture.php

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hh I forgot to tell you my idea of mixing cement into the sweep sand and spraying with water worked great. Every brick is solid so far, even the ones under the wheels - 3:1 - 4:1

picture.php

40degsouth

Right O,
been away fishing for awhile and come back to this juvenile behaviour!!!
Can someone please chuck up a link to “Goodies String Song”
drop the mike;
40 out.

Last edited:

Rico Swazi

Haven't been fishing in years, fresh or saltwater? do any good?
40, I can't speak for the others - for me juvenile behavior beats that demented senile shtick every way but loose and has become my life's end goal. Thanks for the complement! lol!
string song is okay if you are high enough,
got my fav Goodie song from college right here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AF5RH1c3WN0

Hey Microbeman, your place is looking better and better. Paradise 2.0 eh?
thanks for permitting me to post pics of my garden in your thread.
went all in early this year with a focus on aesthetics during these troubling times
paid off nicely with minimal pests from the insectary and pleasing views from the wildflowers
local respite

40degsouth

Thanks Rico,
yes, I’ve done ok; it’s winter here and have caught some winter fish.
I love my inner child and revel in it, laughing and joking around are one of the secrets to my happiness. Keep up the frivolity I’m enjoying it very much.
Cheers,

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks to Rico I have my Panama Red f2s to grow out.

picture.php

picture.php

I'm learning to grow poppies in this climate

picture.php

picture.php

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Landrace sativa still growing

picture.php

and also thanks to Rico I have my CBD cultivars back which are just poking their existence into this foreign environment. The one in the middle was a transplant, planted too early so began flowering. I'm still getting used to the light cycle here.

picture.php

As you can see, I broke down and began using perlite. I hate it. Gotta quit.

*Unc - does this mean I won't be banned? :)

Rico Swazi

Thanks Rico,
yes, I’ve done ok; it’s winter here and have caught some winter fish.
I love my inner child and revel in it, laughing and joking around are one of the secrets to my happiness. Keep up the frivolity I’m enjoying it very much.
Cheers,

Betting you are into the circus too! What kind of fish do you catch in winter ?
Just in case your inner child(Palin) wants to have a go at your senile side (Cleese)
here's a short intro on choosing your fish then classic MPFC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLdK9zaLaG8
you can tell by some of my posts , my inner child will sometimes get up and I'll have to whack him a couple more times to eventually calm down
wife says more freezer time on the fish and problem fixed :D

another pic of the garden taken a couple days ago
picture.php

40degsouth

Hey Rico!!
Yep, I’ve been to many a slapping event but these days prefer to sit on the sidelines, particularly with hand sanitizer being at a premium and all.
We get tuna and flounder along with several other species that I’d prefer not to mention for fear of giving my location away.
In all good consciousness, l don’t target bluefin due to the fact they’re on the critically endangered list, they are still fished pretty hard though. I’d hate to be slapped by one of them!!!
Cheers,

Rico Swazi

Swordfish or marlin would be bad too......most hated would be''baby shark' over and over :biglaugh:

Here are some pics of the rest of the garden. Celebrating 25 yrs on this property this month.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Backside of the hooglie bed standing near the tree ... sunshine on the greek mountain tea THANKS!

coriander is on the right hard to make out

picture.php

Rico Swazi

As you can see, I broke down and began using perlite.

we'll know you've lost it when you start trying to smother the sedge with it ... or snort the dust.

Good to see some of them growing. Hoping for good things. Why no mulch in the containers ?

How did that volunteer turn out for you smoke wise? That one of mine I showed earlier in this thread was transplanted and forgotten about and ooops... looked barely alive

I threw some dried comfrey in a hole with heavy clay soil and put her in.
picture.php

she looks like this today

picture.php

good genetics or the power of comfrey.... hmmmm