What's new

living soil amendments and ratios check

I’m making my first organic/living soil within the next few days, so I could use some feedback. I’m a late to have it finished cooking by my target date as there were shortages of everything from perlite to kelp/alfalfa meal. Done a lot of reading. I see 2-3 cups fert/additives per cubic foot is the standard. Does this include the additional amendments below?

How does this mix look? Per 7.5 gal.
2.5gal Sphagnum Peat Moss
2.5 gal Local Worm Castings
2.5 gal Perlite
1 Cup Powdered Dolomite Lime

Fertilizers
1/2 Cup Blood Meal
1 Cup Bone Meal
1 Cup Alfalfa Meal
1 Cup Kelp Meal

Additional Amendments
? Cup Gypsum
? Humic Acids
? Lagbenonite
? Azomite

I have these additional amendments above on hand, but I’m having trouble deciding how much to include, or if I should include them at all. How do my existing ratios look?

Reactions: X15

X15

I’m making my first organic/living soil within the next few days, so I could use some feedback. I’m a late to have it finished cooking by my target date as there were shortages of everything from perlite to kelp/alfalfa meal. Done a lot of reading. I see 2-3 cups fert/additives per cubic foot is the standard. Does this include the additional amendments below?

2.5 gal Perlite

Fertilizers
1/2 Cup Blood Meal
1 Cup Bone Meal
1 Cup Alfalfa Meal
1 Cup Kelp Meal

Additional Amendments
? Cup Gypsum
? Humic Acids
? Lagbenonite
? Azomite

I have these additional amendments above on hand, but I’m having trouble deciding how much to include, or if I should include them at all. How do my existing ratios look?
I like what you have there. Have you considered maybe some biochar? It’s really a great thing to experiment with if you want to tinker. Think of it like a bangin roach coach that ends up on blocks. Fuckin servin goodness to the community and not goin no where. Lol. Also I like some neem cake. Feel like it deters some pests. Good luck man!

X15

2.5 gal Perlite

Fertilizers
1/2 Cup Blood Meal
1 Cup Bone Meal
1 Cup Alfalfa Meal
1 Cup Kelp Meal

Additional Amendments
? Cup Gypsum
? Humic Acids
? Lagbenonite
? Azomite

Also you could prob get away with less bone meal and blood meal. Not sure what your local worm castings are made with but it’s probably fair to say they are high in both of those.
My two cents on the other stuff. I use gypsum at around 1 tbsp per gallon or more depending on how much rich my compost is. I like that bc I like having that Sulfur. Would be awesome to see what others say though.
But to help keep you stoked on the process, bc that’s what’s up here… remember that not all cannabis requires or wants the same levels of shit. Start with less and keep the crop close to you. They will tell you if they need anything more. It’s a lot harder to see them over dosed and helpless. Much love brotha!

Burn1

Good advise above.
Alfalfa is my favorite nitrogen source. But it's (hot). I would call it effective instead of hot. Use Alfalfa or blood, not both until you see if you get burn. Alfalfa tea is really good but you need to go easy until you see how your plants respond to it.
All the stuff you listed with the ? marks, I would pass on those until you see if they're needed.
Burn1

Reactions: X15

Latest posts

Latest posts