What's new

Living organic soil from start through recycling

Status
Not open for further replies.

joedogsong

It's a local rock shop and most of what he works with is local here in Central Oregon. I'm sure its a combination. I bought an arbor for polishing that was hooked to a vacuum. Thought about it when you were writing about it above.

Gonna try your cilantro mix on my strawberries...no need to really worry about those little fungus gnats in the mj is there? my berries look like swiss cheese when they ripen.

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
It's a local rock shop and most of what he works with is local here in Central Oregon. I'm sure its a combination. I bought an arbor for polishing that was hooked to a vacuum. Thought about it when you were writing about it above.
JDS

See if this information on Basalt makes any sense about the rock material they're using. Some of the Basalt stacks in Eastern Oregon are as thick as 6,000 ft.

You can see that there are color variables from weathering, etc.

The third basalt-forming environment is a continental environment where a mantle plume or hotspot delivers enormous amounts of basaltic lava through the continental crust and up to Earth's surface. These eruptions can be from either vents or fissures. They have produced the largest basalt flows on the continents. The eruptions can occur repeatedly over millions of years producing layer after layer of basalt stacked in a vertical sequence (see outcrop photo at right).

The Columbia River Flood Basalts in Washington, Oregon and Idaho are an example of extensive flood basalts on land (see map at right). Other examples include the Emeishan Traps of China, the Deccan Traps of India, the Keweenawan Lavas of the Lake Superior region, the Etendeka Basalts of Namibia, the Karroo Basalts of South Africa and the Siberian Traps of Russia

basalt-columbia-river-380.jpg

basalts-columbia-river-map-180.gif

Last edited:
B

BlueJayWay

This is what it takes man....just steppin up and doing it. The plants look great going into all that root space. If you have indeed assembled a complete soil then you can expect great things from this....remember that as this progresses you will need less and less of high powered amendments and teas....less truly becomes more once you get up around 3 or 4 cycles in a large no till.
You will truly understand how well your soil consumes anything once you start recognizing the transfer of nutrients from topdress material to new growth in a matter of a few days.
Plants look great man.

Thanks GasCanaStan! I think I'm doin' alright with my soil mix, perfect? - absolutely not, light-years better than when some of this soil came out of it's bags a year ago? - absolutely yes :D

With using these larger amounts of soil I'll be able to "use up" all of the soil that's been hangin' around this past year, which will let me build some new soil, from the ground up, with much more specific inputs &, quite honestly, less inputs so that I can actually see results from an individual top dress, amendment or tea - rather than wondering what exactly it was that lead to a specific (good or bad) change in the plant(s).

Happy Growin'!
Peace

blueJ

Gascanastan

Gone but NOT forgotten...
Veteran
Gascanacan

Do you have any of the EcoTrol product left? If you do can you tell me how strong the Rosemary smell is?

Thanks

CC
The strongest smell is wintergreen even though the percentage of that is minimal compared to the percentage of rosemary. Rosemary comes in behind the wintergreen as more of a base note....even though the percentage of rosemary is the highest compared to the others such as thyme.

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
The strongest smell is wintergreen even though the percentage of that is minimal compared to the percentage of rosemary. Rosemary comes in behind the wintergreen as more of a base note....even though the percentage of rosemary is the highest compared to the others such as thyme.
Interesting......

Thanks for the quick response

CC

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Student science supply companies are also a good resource for lab equipment.

"Strap those slides across my chest and tell all the whores I did my best"

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
View attachment 179963

Contacted a Boulder-based slide mfg - guy told me to stop by his home office and hooked it up!

Let me know how clear/clean the coverslips are. How much$?

I've found that true quality coverslips run about $50/box
I thought I was just getting ripped off at the time but subsequently after getting the $5 ones from several companies came to that realization. Still the cheap ones are fine for analyzing soil/compost/ACT You just focus through the flaws.

For glass pipettes, I haven't beat Aquatic Eco yet so that's where I get my slides and coverslips.

If anyone out there is a professional microspocist and knows where to get inexpensive flaw free coverslips speak up!

DARC MIND

Veteran
i cant remember what makes up the cherrybomb/wowi or that BO
any one care to shime in or tell us kids the story?

this for sure tops all the TO/BMr girls i found,in the fact that i can function,move & not care for a nap.totall spirit lifter,clear motivating,tasty loving yeska!
stuff that make you smile,head & face sweat
eyes beyond open yet lids practically closed shut

shmalphy

Veteran
I use only barefoot hippie urine from dirty ass hippies on acid that eat only organic whole foods...all the while as they ponder the existence of the human form trapped in the shell of of the physical realm... knowing they are white light beings the whole time....and as they observe the workings of the solar system.
I use that on my azaleas

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Darc Mind

BO is a sister plant of the TO - some say that it has a slightly different Thai profile - not my claim necessarily.

Thai x Kandahar Indica - F1

Let me know how clear/clean the coverslips are. How much$?

I've found that true quality coverslips run about $50/box
I thought I was just getting ripped off at the time but subsequently after getting the $5 ones from several companies came to that realization. Still the cheap ones are fine for analyzing soil/compost/ACT You just focus through the flaws.

For glass pipettes, I haven't beat Aquatic Eco yet so that's where I get my slides and coverslips.

If anyone out there is a professional microspocist and knows where to get inexpensive flaw free coverslips speak up!

Well, I got the scope set up and successfully observed some fungal hyphae! These slide covers look good to my completely untrained eyes - they're pathology grade, if that's any objective standard, and they come in boxes that are vacuum sealed in metal pouches.

Status
Not open for further replies.