What's new

Living organic soil from start through recycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BlueJayWay

BlueJay

Here's my deal on watering....

After several extended conversations over several months with the scientists at BioAg on the subject of Fulvic acid specifically, I use 1 oz. of Fulvic acid to each and every watering and I only did that after removing all alumina-silicate rock dusts (volcanic) and only using glacial rock dust - Glacial Milk
If a gardener doesn't have the rock dust deal down you will have problems. Again - do not try this at home. You will have major problems - BioAg's advice should be heeded.

CC

Great info - Azomite users beware eh?

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
So I've been sticking with 1:1:1 peat moss (or bagged "seedling" mix): EWC: rice hulls, and growth is very good and consistent, and only used in the beer cup stage.
BlueJayWay

I've got a question for you (or anyone else) about beer cups and I'm talking about the Solo brand specifically. These were from Costco and they're 20 oz. (?) probably?

A few months ago I needed to get a few cuttings ready for someone else and I'm pretty f*cking tired of sending out rooted cuttings in #1 SmartPots which somehow never seem to come home so this time I decided to go with Solo cups.

I cut sections from the bottom ring for drainage like everyone else. Originally I was supposed to deliver the cuttings in rooting plugs but things changed.

For the first week or so everything was moving along as expected. Then everything went south on me - big time. The plants quit growing and there was massive roots from the plugs when I transplanted them so I know that wasn't the problem.

I didn't hi-dose and in fact just watered them with only Silica added to the water. I turned one over and removed the cup and the rootball was massive with the usual spinning in and around the bottom of the cup/container as expected but it was clear that the roots were exhibiting damage from something - color wasn't close to being right.

Is it possible that these plastic cups are 'off-gassing' or whatever the correct term is? I did use the Fulvic acid on the initial watering after transplanting and this acid is a fermented material - that's how it's extracted from the rocks in the case of BioAg's product.

Have you ever had a bad experience like this, i.e. the transplant takes off, roots develop and then everything stops. I have NEVER had this with standard nursery pots (on any plant which would be well over 100 cultivars) or SmartPots (specific brand).

Not trying to spread FUD but something went wrong - very wrong and it has me trying to figure out what happened.

Good news is that after I saw the root problems, I transplanted all of them into #1 black nursery pots with the same soil mix that I always use and within 4 days everything was running strong as it should.

So the only odd factor in this scenario was using this Solo product.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

CC

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Perhaps if I had used sea salt 'minerals' and raw milk things would have gone right - a new science introduced right here at ICMAG

Who'da guessed?

Not exactly Bill Nye The Science Guy but still!

Seandawg

Perhaps if I had used sea salt 'minerals' and raw milk things would have gone right - a new science introduced right here at ICMAG

Who'da guessed?

Im trying to think of what may really have gone wrong. But when things go wrong and i dont know i usually just blame it on the rain. Lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwrL9MV6jSk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Man when was the last serious post i made here?
I must really sound like an immature ignorant fool lol.
Oh well, i got a chuckle at least lol

B

bajangreen

BlueJayWay

I've got a question for you (or anyone else) about beer cups and I'm talking about the Solo brand specifically. These were from Costco and they're 20 oz. (?) probably?

A few months ago I needed to get a few cuttings ready for someone else and I'm pretty f*cking tired of sending out rooted cuttings in #1 SmartPots which somehow never seem to come home so this time I decided to go with Solo cups.

I cut sections from the bottom ring for drainage like everyone else. Originally I was supposed to deliver the cuttings in rooting plugs but things changed.

For the first week or so everything was moving along as expected. Then everything went south on me - big time. The plants quit growing and there was massive roots from the plugs when I transplanted them so I know that wasn't the problem.

I didn't hi-dose and in fact just watered them with only Silica added to the water. I turned one over and removed the cup and the rootball was massive with the usual spinning in and around the bottom of the cup/container as expected but it was clear that the roots were exhibiting damage from something - color wasn't close to being right.

Is it possible that these plastic cups are 'off-gassing' or whatever the correct term is? I did use the Fulvic acid on the initial watering after transplanting and this acid is a fermented material - that's how it's extracted from the rocks in the case of BioAg's product.

Have you ever had a bad experience like this, i.e. the transplant takes off, roots develop and then everything stops. I have NEVER had this with standard nursery pots (on any plant which would be well over 100 cultivars) or SmartPots (specific brand).

Not trying to spread FUD but something went wrong - very wrong and it has me trying to figure out what happened.

Good news is that after I saw the root problems, I transplanted all of them into #1 black nursery pots with the same soil mix that I always use and within 4 days everything was running strong as it should.

CC

could be heat

T

Toes.

Speaking of beer cups, my BCC 2012 lady just got transplanted into a bigger container. she was in an 18oz red SOLO cup...

picture.php

here she is one week later...
https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=37642&pictureid=923563

Same type of thing, the roots look damaged. they're real dense, just some (shooting out from the middle) are bright white with hairs all over them, the others ( closest to the edge) are a dull brown. I chalked it up to the heat. It's getting hot inside, sometimes 90* or better with lights out, And the thin edges of the cups are anything but insulating.

I am real interested in this...

John Deere's sour bubble beer cups are looking great though.

JD are you using SOLO brand cups?

BCC 2012 <----those guys are doing some cool things in beer cups

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran

Who'da guessed?

You are too kind Clack--but I think you really are giving me too much credit when you suggest I was the one that introduced these two novel horticultural concepts to ICMAG. It seems that what you refer to as "new science" (Raw Milk and Sea Minerals) were topics of discussion right here on ICMAG...around five years ago.

Granted, those first discussions were not as eloquent or detailed with science, but these ideas were "introduced" and discussed on this website--long before either one of us joined ICMAG; not to mention the subsequent discussions on various threads since 2007. Hope this clarifies things--hate to see misinformation!

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=53831 (Sea Salt--March 2007)

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=47252 (Milk & Cannabis--Jan 2007)

Cheers!

Scrappy4

Veteran

I have been using this brand of beer cups for years without any obvious problems. I'm assuming the the environment was OK, watering was not excessive and so on? I don't have a true fulvic acid to use either though. Maybe it could be the combo of fulvic acid chelating some of the plastic cup? Perhaps run the experiment again and use humic acid and fulvic acid as a side by side? scrappy

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Heat definitely was not a factor - 70 - 75F like always.

I'm betting it was the lack of airplane de-icer as promoted by the resident genius pair to draw to.

shmalphy

Veteran
Coot, try milk or juice cartons next time. They are like free mini smart pots. TP and paper towel rolls can be cut up and stuffed with peat to make rooting plugs too. Peat contains fulvic acid, which is why I prefer it as a rooting medium.

I have used solo cups forever, and while I never had a problem, per se, I did notice that both small nursery pots and cartons produced stronger healthier roots, and plants.

I just got the Root Pouch brand containers, and I must say I am very pleased. They are about 1/5 the price pf smart pots, and they are the basically same thing.

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
shmalphy

I saw your thread on PL Light Systems and couldn't quite figure out what you were asking - the term 'flip' isn't one that I'm familiar with.

I've been using these ballasts & reflectors for over 25 years. Still have and use some of the original ones that we purchased.

CC

h.h.

Veteran

Who'da guessed?

You're trolling over here as well. I can see why you left Yucca. It's a put up or shut sort of place.

Gascanastan

Gone but NOT forgotten...
Veteran
You are too kind Clack--but I think you really are giving me too much credit when you suggest I was the one that introduced these two novel horticultural concepts to ICMAG. It seems that what you refer to as "new science" (Raw Milk and Sea Minerals) were topics of discussion right here on ICMAG...around five years ago.

Granted, those first discussions were not as eloquent or detailed with science, but these ideas were "introduced" and discussed on this website--long before either one of us joined ICMAG; not to mention the subsequent discussions on various threads since 2007. Hope this clarifies things--hate to see misinformation!

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=53831 (Sea Salt--March 2007)

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=47252 (Milk & Cannabis--Jan 2007)

Cheers!

You're trolling over here as well. I can see why you left Yucca. It's a put up or shut sort of place.

Oh great...these two clowns....please take your fucking dumbass bullshit elsewhere. You guys argue over the stupidest shit...and then argue with eachother when there's no one feeding your troll holes....

Beat it....kick rocks...exit the thread...you fools are not a part a realistic recycled living organic soil trip...so get out. Seriously..get the fuck out. I'm not a cop caller so....I'll just say kick fucking rocks scrubs.

Your methods are bullshit...beat it~:thank you:
Some peoples kids......

picture.php

T

Toes.

Thats it im convinced.

Its going to be like lobster night at the steak house tonight.

Im going serve my plants some Fleur de Sel infused clarified butter.nom nom maybe a Bourbon vanilla bean Creme Brulee for dessert....

Gascanastan

Gone but NOT forgotten...
Veteran
Thats it im convinced.

Its going to be like lobster night at the steak house tonight.

Im going serve my plants some Fleur de Sel infused clarified butter.nom nom maybe a Bourbon vanilla bean Creme Brulee for dessert....

Wurd~

If I wanted salt in my soil I would use General Hydroponics chems....if I wanted milk in my soil I would be these two guys.
I mean jesus crap....how many professional large scale medical cannabis gardeners are pouring milk in their soil....NOT happening.
Unrealistic....doesn't float...doesn't hold water....doesn't fly....won't get off the ground.

Bad dog...go lay down!

They must have have issues in life in general...and again I say .....the same people that used to stand on the street corner babbling incoherantly now have accounts on the internet...and followers.

The reality of milk and salt just doesn't exist in organic large scale MMJ crop production.....hoopla.

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Gascanacan

You know you're in trouble when each and every organic supply house in the PNW has rejected your products and all you have left to market your crap are sockpuppets on a cannabis grow board.

This company's marketing strategy initially was sending around a drunk to extoll the benefits so now it's down to this.

Best wishes, Cupcake!

G

greenmatter

what color are the cups you used CC ? i noticed in the last beer cup challenge that the lighter colors let a whole bunch of light through to the roots so i made a sleeve out of Orca film to cover the cups. do you think light getting to the roots could be the problem?

FWIW i was using the Hefty brand ....... but the thought of a plastic cup that is made to hold edible things off gassing is pretty scary. i hope you find the answer, but i really hope you are wrong about that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts