What's new

Living organic soil from start through recycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty much a surfactant, right? But the TEA is considered dangerous to aquatic species which I take as a sign it ain't healthy for the microbes

Scrappy4

Veteran
Do you worry about sm 90 harming your microlife? I've heard it discussed as killing bugs and anything smaller

No I don't worry about that. From MM I know it's not good to add it to compost tea so I do not use it in compost tea. I also know too much in soil is a bad thing, but at the rates I use I feel safe. You know strong fertilizers affect microbe numbers in compost tea as well, but I still feed my plants. I see humic acid in thïs light.

I agree that our compost most likely has humic acid or at least should have, but how can you tell? IDK. I know my plants show improvements when I use humic acid in small amounts, so that's what I do....scrappy

Edit ....not that it means it's safe, but about every line of organic hydro store fertilizer has humic acid in their line up, in their products, or as a stand alone product, so with that much exposure I would think we would know if it hurt our soils. Maybe not IDK

No I don't worry about that. From MM I know it's not good to add it to compost tea so I do not use it in compost tea. I also know too much in soil is a bad thing, but at the rates I use I feel safe. You know strong fertilizers affect microbe numbers in compost tea as well, but I still feed my plants. I see humic acid in thïs light.

I agree that our compost most likely has humic acid or at least should have, but how can you tell? IDK. I know my plants show improvements when I use humic acid in small amounts, so that's what I do....scrappy

If your compost is composting, it's creating humid acid - but I got a bottle of Humic 12 just in case :p

Scrappy4

Veteran
How many things are called SM-90?

It does get confusing, I think there is some hydro slop called the same name. The product I use is from kis compost teas, and is a black powder. I would send a link but my computer is being bitchy today....scrappy

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
KIS sells the powdered seaweed extract from Acadian Seaplants, Ltd. (ASL) and between the Maxicrop product and ASL, this one is far superior.

Not to mention 40% less......

Scrappy4

Veteran
My bad it's sp 90 sorry about that.
From kis compost teas.....
Our 100% soluble powder is as pure as it gets. Containing only minute levels of moisture (<0.5%), the balance is all soluble humic acid.* Our manufacturing process eliminates the soluble ballast you might find in other "100% soluble" powders that contain lower levels of humic acid. This product is so pure it is suitable to use in professional laboratory work!* It has a perfectly neutral pH of 7.0 as well! If you're experiencing clogging problems with our SP-85, this humic acid product should take care of the problem. Available also in 55 lb. boxes at a much lower price, please call for details.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It does get confusing, I think there is some hydro slop called the same name. The product I use is from kis compost teas, and is a black powder. I would send a link but my computer is being bitchy today....scrappy

SP-90

It is the humic acid which we tested as a microbial food source (NOT) in a liquid.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Scrappy4

Veteran
KIS sells the powdered seaweed extract from Acadian Seaplants, Ltd. (ASL) and between the Maxicrop product and ASL, this one is far superior.

Not to mention 40% less......

I have some of that too, I have used it in foliar sprays, but not for a long time. I really do not have an opinion on it....scrappy

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
While you are at it check out the pdf I posted here;

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=191516&highlight=humus&page=6 Post # 84

Evaluation of Conceptual Models of
Natural Organic Matter (Humus) From a
Consideration of the Chemical and
Biochemical Processes of Humification"
MM

Thanks! Links to PDF are a great thing for me because I can upload them to our iPhones and iPads so that when they are opened they appear as a 'book' meaning that you simply turn pages rather than having to scroll and scroll through the document.

You can also search for terms in a document - highlight that text string and you can pick from several colors - just like a college text-book way back when.

When you make a Bookmark in the document you can add your own information on why you made the Bookmark in the first place.

So thanks again!

CC

Scrappy4

Veteran
While you are at it check out the pdf I posted here;

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=191516&highlight=humus&page=6 Post # 84

Evaluation of Conceptual Models of
Natural Organic Matter (Humus) From a
Consideration of the Chemical and
Biochemical Processes of Humification"

Dude, that link makes my head want to explode! Definitely over my head, lol. But appreciated just the same. I cut to the summary and it seems like the how's and whys are still not resolved conclusively.....scrappy

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Get into discussion on Humic acid sources for a real treat. Given that there are only 3 sources in the USA - TerraVita, BioAg and Mesa Verde it's fascinating.

Fun stuff!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts