What's new

Living organic soil from start through recycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

YosemiteSam

The plan is to try your soil formula as close as I can. The only thing I have been unable to source is basalt. Of course, the quality of the humus component may be questionable...but I am working on that.

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Basalt rock dust only became available late last year which is pretty amazing given the amount of Basalt around Oregon from the volcanoes. That's where you get pumice, Azomite, Bentonite, Zeolite - volcano flows.

IOW, I wouldn't worry too much about Basalt rock dust per se. Check with your local landscape supply companies - usually they'll have lava rock, crushed and often in different sizes. Even Home Depot and Lowe's sell bagged lava rock for about $4.50 per c.f. which is the price that I have to pay for Pumice at the local organic farm store and Home Depot is 1/4th the drive.

See what's available and don't go too crazy trying to get this one or that one specifically. You could also send an email to Gaia Green (Canada) as they seem to have the exclusive on the Glacial rock dust out of Western British Columbia (can't remember the name of the town) - that might be a good thing to try and source, i.e. Glacial vs. Volcanic materials.

CC

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
YS

For kicks check out 'glacial milk'

RE: Hummus

The BuffaLoam compost is one you could consider using from the Laramie Valley.

I haven't used it but a good friend in the Midwest has been using this in general gardening, MMJ and he really likes it. I know him to be a good grower and I trust and value his opinion in a number of areas related to gardening.

It's a start perhaps

CC

Checking back into this thread with my usual slew of comments & questions!

1. Alfalfa tea- HOLY SHIT THIS STUFF'S GREAT!!! CC - I owe you a few beers or joints or something. Within 6 hours of foliage treatment, 100% of treated veg plants were showing new growth with unbelievably tight internodes. I did 1/2 cup alfalfa, 1/2 cup kelp in a 5 gallon for 60 hours, strained & diluted result 1:1 with H20 and sprayed.

2. Matt Rize - his hash is fire, no doubt. Luckily Nikka T lives here in Colorado, produces similar/slightly superior "solvent less wax", and is a very cool & humble dude.

3. Azomite - been showing some sulphur and iron defs on some of the girls, so I decided I'd dissolve some Azomite, dilute, and water in. According to this 'typical analysis' on their site (http://www.azomite.com/index.php?op...66:certificate-of-analysis&catid=38&Itemid=11), there should be enough iron & sulphur to make em happy, but boy was I surprised to see that the ppms of what I want were far exceeded by ppms of lithium, lead, and other scary things (arsenic? Neat!). So the question is: will these dangerous metals get neutralized by my heavy living soil, or taken up by my plants?

4. Kushmab's plants are dark green 8 weeks into flower... What happened to senescence?

Gascanastan

Gone but NOT forgotten...
Veteran

Cool someone else posting pix of herb.....keep 'em coming.

Ok...so I took about 1/4 cup of cardamom pods and ground them in a coffee grinder. Next I let the grounds sit in a 1/2 gallon of hot water..not boiling. Then I strained the tea and let it cool....now I'm going to go spray the little prick bastard mites I found on my Kali mist last night....

I was spraying with the ecosmart organic and hitting all but the Kali because I thought that plant was isolated from the rest....well as with everything...the critters migrated to the Kali and I assumed that since I was spraying everything I would have blocked the path of escape...WRONG!!

Never assume any plant that is isolated from another group of plants is safe from these bastards. They will hitch a ride anyway they can...ass gas,or grass they don't ride for free.

Scrappy4

Veteran
Like I said - they are ideal and I will continue to do business with them as the need arises. Others could learn a lot from them. Zero waste? It's unheard of.

And they have excellent little catalogues...*lol* one of these days I'm going to order some of thier "drinking teas". They look and sound so good!

Jerry, I can vouch for their tea and tea blends. We like seasons of discontent (tastes great and works for hayfever) and vita blend, and hibiscus tea.

And like seamaidan does, you can save your urine for fertilizers. Be all you can be, pee tea. Or not....scrappy

shmalphy

Veteran
This is Deep Funk from Bodhi Seeds (Sour D x Deep Chunk)

In veg. Notice how she is praying

picture.php

Here is a frosted leaf. Keeping it real with the spider mite damage.
picture.php

Here is a nug
picture.php

And another
picture.php

Unknown Kush
picture.php

Y

YosemiteSam

Lavender tea for mites was my single ahhh, ha moment. The concept just seems so natural to my brain anyways.

CC...I will probably just replace the basalt with some gypsum. I am a fan of the Ca myownself.

Gascanastan

Veteran
Ok.....sooooooo...it's a little early to confirm anything but....

I took one infested leaf with 26 counted adult mites and sprayed with the cardamom tea. I let the leaf 'dry' and then took it into the sun and turned it upside down...if any adults survive they will run to the edge of the leaf to get out of the sunlight.

Only 4 were alive and did this....that's a good kill...but I figure the strength of the tea could be increased at least 2 to 4x. No signs of burning yet....we'll see in a few hours how effective it was on the entire Kali Mist.

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
GC

These botanical teas do not always show immediate results because of how differently each of the various compounds actually function: growth inhibitors, anti-feedants, etc. So give it 24 hours to get a more accurate assessment. That's one of your goals perhaps - accuracy.

The other goal should be that you need to do whatever is necessary to not become a Cardamom Seed Tea HATER!!!

CC

Gascanastan

Veteran
GC

These botanical teas do not always show immediate results because of how differently each of the various compounds actually function: growth inhibitors, anti-feedants, etc. So give it 24 hours to get a more accurate assessment. That's one of your goals perhaps - accuracy.

The other goal should be that you need to do whatever is necessary to not become a Cardamom Seed Tea HATER!!!

CC
Noted~ Seems there could be effective combinations of such herbal solutions as well..Perhaps an epazote/cardamom combo...so testing and waiting for results is indeed part of the deal.

For mite control, I've had great luck using Rosemary - here's a link: http://www.sierranaturalscience.com/Mite and Rosemary Efficacy.pdf

This guy Miresmailli has a few papers on the subject.

I've got a friend or two who swear by a plug of chewing tobacco chewed once or twice, then allowed to sit in a mason jar of water overnight. This is strained and the solution sprayed on affected foliage. Appropriately evaporated, this stuff is poisonous to animals and people, so don't be dumb.

HTH

chief bigsmoke

have chicory teas been brought up yet? I've read their teas are high in mighty K, vitamin A and Calcium...

I love me some mighty K

also I found some quick info on these teas:

• Dandelion leaves contain vitamins A and C, as well as calcium and potassium.
  • Nettle leaves are packed full of nutrients from vitamins A, C, K, B1, B2, B3, B5, calcium, magnesium, phosphate, phosphorus, potassium, boron, bromine, copper, iron, selenium and zinc.
  • Parsley leaves provide a good amount of vitamins A and C, as well as iron, copper and manganese.
  • Perilla leaves are loaded with iron and calcium.
  • Watercress contains vitamins A, C, E, B3, B6, calcium, manganese and iron.
  • German chamomile flowers (Matricaria recutita) have anti-fungal properties that we have observed preventing damping-off disease in seedling flats. Flowers are steeped in cold water for one or two days, then strained and sprayed on the potting mix just before planting.

Neo 420

Veteran
We showing pics up in here now? lol

Lavender- Popped 4 seeds. Vegged 3 to mom's. Below is a cut from one of the mom's.

Sour D-

Platinum OG Kush

I though I took pics of the POG but I guess I didn't...

All ladies are 4 weeks into flower. Took pics as lights came on......Last nite they had a aloe vera shower..... And they love it!!

Are you using the SNS products?

Aww come on CC - you should know by now I'm all about the DIY ghetto tech!

Haven't had mites in years, but when I did, it was just rosemary essential oil, h2o, and a drop of Safer soap or Dr Bronners. Might try yucca as my saponin source if I ever have to do it again.

ixnay007

"I can't remember the last time I had a blackout"
Veteran
Lavender tea for mites was my single ahhh, ha moment. The concept just seems so natural to my brain anyways.

CC...I will probably just replace the basalt with some gypsum. I am a fan of the Ca myownself.

I haven't used it as a tea yet, just as a miticide (found some sweet huge lavender flowers yesterday, they're even dried on the plant..)

What does it offer as a tea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts