What's new

Living organic soil from start through recycling

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Neo

The plant with the highest levels of Saponins that I can find is Horse Chestnut Aesculus hippocastanum L. (Hippocastanaceae) and here's an analysis from USDA on the other compounds in this plant

As you can see the Saponin level is as high as 260,000 ppm which is 13x higher than Aloe vera and 8x higher than Alfalfa and about 6x higher than Yucca extract

Horse Chestnut powder (certified organic) is around $8.00 per lb. You sure don't need to use very much - about 1/4 tsp. per gallon will give you plenty of 'surfactant' and/or 'wetting agent'

HTH

CC

shmalphy

Veteran
And as we wind on down the road, our shadows taller than our souls
There was a lady we all know
Who shines bright light and wants to show
How everything still turns to gold
And if you listen very long
The tune will come to you at last

ixnay007

"I can't remember the last time I had a blackout"
Veteran
GS

Yep - Epazoate and the plant I have is over 3' tall and about that big around. 2 day brew with pureed flowers and leaves - complete and total kill zone.

No accumulation - hydrocarbon chains once again. Just like THC - funny how things work isn't it?

"But what about my Calcium deficiency"

"Shut up you little asshole, the adults are talking now!"

LMAO

Weird looking plant, looks like someone stuck rucola leaves on a cannabis plant.

Neat properties tho, camphor, limonene, etc and the only naturally occurring peroxide (explosive to boot), used to expell worms from the body, plants and trees.

Gascanastan

Gone but NOT forgotten...
Veteran
I love epazote....some people can't stand it..usually the same people that don't like cilantro.

Very strong herb...a little is all you need...much like cardamon. Hmmmmmmm....cardamom????

I've been to mars....meh..boring!!!!

ixnay007

Veteran
Supposedly not liking cilantro is a genetic thing, it tastes like soap to them.

Which is a damn pity, I love a good ceviche, I can imagine it would be a lot less pleasant with a few drops of dish soap in it..

Gascanastan

Gone but NOT forgotten...
Veteran
Supposedly not liking cilantro is a genetic thing, it tastes like soap to them.

Which is a damn pity, I love a good ceviche, I can imagine it would be a lot less pleasant with a few drops of dish soap in it..

When I first tasted it I was in living in LA and frequented the local taqueria...I couldn't figure out what it was...I thought it tasted like dirty feet smell....then I had me some taco's without it..and they sucked...ever since then I love the stuff...can eat handfuls of it.

So I wonder what Mr Coot would say about cardamom????

shmalphy

Veteran
What is the best container for a living recycled soil?

Unfortunately I still use poly grow bags for my mine. It is becoming clear that the soil will outlast these, never mind concerns about the plastic leaching into my soil... Thinking about smart pots, but the price is painful, about $180 for 36 fabric pots.. Looking into making raised beds made of wood. What is the ideal height of raised beds and what should I line the wood with (if anything) I am thinking using some kind of oil to seal it so it as least reasonably water resistant, because I don't want to use any plastic at all.

ixnay007

Veteran
What's wrong with plastics?

As long as they're not treated, they're fairly inert, unaffected by the normal chemical compounds they come into contact with and fairly cheap.. until oil runs out.

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Fenugreek - another one to consider.

Primary Nutrients: Choline, Iron, Lecithin, Minerals, Protein, Biotin,choline, inositol, iron, lecithin, mucilage, volatile oils, PABA, phosphates, protein, trigoneline, trimethylamine, and vitamins A, vitamin B1, vitamin B2, vitamin B3, vitamin B5, vitamin B6, vitamin B9, vitamin B12, and vitamin D. Rich in phosphates, lecithin, nucleo-albumin, iron, vitamins A and D (similar in composition to cod liver oil)

The leaves contain at least 7 saponins, known as graecunins. These compounds are glycosides of diosgenin. Seeds contain 0.1% to 0.9% diosgenin and are extracted on a commercial basis. Plant tissue cultures from seeds grown under optimal conditions have been found to produce as much as 2% diosgenin with smaller amounts of gitongenin and trigogenin. The seeds also contain the saponin fenugrin B. Several coumarin compounds have been identified in fenugreek seeds 6 as well as a number of alkaloids (eg, trigonelline, gentianine, carpaine). A large proportion of the trigonelline is degraded to nicotinic acid and related pyridines during roasting. These degradation products are, in part, responsible for the flavor of the seed. The seeds also yield as much as 8% of a fixed, foul-smelling oil.

About 28 per cent mucilage; 5 per cent of a stronger-smelling, bitter fixed oil, which can be extracted by ether; 22 per cent proteins; a volatile oil; two alkaloids, Trigonelline and Choline, and a yellow colouring substance. The chemical composition resembles that of cod-liver oil, as it is rich in phosphates, lecithin and nucleoalbumin, containing also considerable quantities of iron in an organic form, which can be readily absorbed. Reutter has noted the presence of trimethylamine, neurin and betain; like the alkaloids in cod-liver oil, these substances stimulate the appetite by their action on the nervous system, or produce a diuretic or ureo-poietic effect. [cite]

ixnay007

Veteran
Indian Institute of Spices Research
Kerala, India

Mutagenicity and Carcinogenicity Prediction of Compounds from Cardamom (Elettaria cardamom Maton.)

Compounds include the usual suspects - Linalool, a-Pinene, Camphor, Borneol, Eucalyptol, etc.

Thanks for the question - looks like I'll be heading over to the main Indian market and get their seed pods.

"I'd hit it"

Toxicity of essential oil from cardamom was investigated against the cowpea weevil, Callosobruchus maculatus (Fab.) adults (an important pest of several pulses), through contact and fumigation bioassay (Mahfuz and Khalequzzaman, 2007). In the contact bioassay the toxicity of cardamom oil was higher than neem. In the fumigation bioassay, the efficacy in respect of the toxicity, cardamom oil was higher than neem and eucalyptus oils. This confirms that cardamom is a good fumigant.

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
What's wrong with plastics?

As long as they're not treated, they're fairly inert, unaffected by the normal chemical compounds they come into contact with and fairly cheap.. until oil runs out.
Not so much in the USA where even BPA wasn't banned until 2 weeks ago in infant feeding bottles.

Then again you're talking about a country that allows formaldehyde in baby shampoo.

I guess they figure it will just be 'flushed out' like in our garden containers! Water fixes everything!

"I don't care if my lettuce has been sprayed with DDT - as long as it's crisp!"

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
If anyone has any doubts about botanical agents, then you'll probably find this new product invented by a young girl (14 years old or close) pretty fascinating - FreshPaper whose story has been reported by several news media outlets - Popular Science, CNN, CNBC, etc.

Y

YosemiteSam

Lovin Every Minute of it

Lovin Every Minute of it

untitled-0021.jpg

untitled-0002.jpg

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
It looks like your plants are lovin' every minute as well!

Beautiful plants!

What botanical tea are you using? Is this the Alfalfa brew?

Y

YosemiteSam

This one is alfalfa with some kelp meal chunked in. I am basically trying to feed once a week with some kind of tea.

A few grasshopper bites on the leaves but zero else bothering them. Even the spiders seem to have vacated the area...hopefully cause there is no food for them.

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
YS

It's pretty hard to best that combo - kelp and alfalfa

For next year's outdoor gardening plans you could add kelp meal to your bedding which will increase the water-holding capability. The compound in Kelp meal, Alginic acid, can hold up to 300% its weight in water right where you want this benefit - in the root zone.

No need to go nuts on the amount - standard, recommend amounts will give you this and the other benefits. I only use 1/2 cup of Kelp meal to 1 c.f. of potting soil which is 3.5 tsp. to 1 gallon of potting soil - if my calculation is correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.