What's new

Living organic soil from start through recycling

Status
Not open for further replies.

W89

Veteran
Cootz whats the difference with the different types of barley seed? black/purple..green/pink/blue?? LOL

2 Legal Co

Veteran
Pulling up the reading chair..wow

Pulling up the reading chair..wow

Excellant thread. I might even learn something!

sub'd; and off to read the other 396 pages I've missed.

Do you get a degree when you've read the whole thing? Or just better Gardens? :biggrin:

Gascanastan

Gone but NOT forgotten...
Veteran
Cootz whats the difference with the different types of barley seed? black/purple..green/pink/blue?? LOL

I can't speak for Coot,but it seems the darker colors have a higher protein content as well as minerals....which may also mean more enzymes. I was fortunate,and just I guess just plain lucky to run into the Tibetan purple....for I did not see 'The Black' there today.

B

BlueJayWay

Gas

Do a search for 'Tibetan purple barley in Washington state' - then you'll find sources for Black Barley from North China which is also an heirloom. There's 2 or 3 other varieties being grown by organic farmers in Eastern Washington - pretty amazing.

CC

CC

I did the same search but for 'California state' and came up with this.

Pretty cool selection! Not to mention everything else they offer.

W89

Veteran
Cool thanks for the info Gas, appreciate it as usual!

I've been using a mix of mung beans broccoli and alfalfa seed.. will go on the look for barley

Gascanastan

Veteran
Interesting,I'm finding conflicting info on the black. Seems some people call the Tibetan purple 'black barley',and the Ethiopian type of black is not the Chinese type of black.

W89

Veteran
Near my old girls house there is a big patch of mossy grass just off the side of a road say 30ft away... Lots of castings and they are nice and dark/soft i've used them before to make compost tea really surprised how much rock dusts actually they do eat as they sink to the bottom of the bucket.. Picture quality not great I need to get a tripod I shake too much

Attachments

• green pics 129.jpg
    green pics 129.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 9
B

BlueJayWay

There's so much to learn about barley!

1920 Berry's Seed Company says about Oderbrucker Barley...
"...considered to be the best variety of barley sent out by the Wisconsin Station. Professor Moore declares it to be superior to the Manshury, yielding 5 to 10 bushels more per acre. The original stock of this barley was obtained in Germany by the Ontario Agricultural College. ...a stiff strawed, heavy yielding, six rowed bearded barley. It has a protein contents of 15 per cent, or nearly double the amount of protein found in many other barley varieties. ...one of the best malting barley."

Cann

:) coot comes back and the thread is alive again!!!

thanks so much coot, BJW, w89 - I'm off to go mix a kelp/alfalfa tea. Luckily I picked up 100lbs of local fresh castings yesterday, so I'm set on the EWC front :) might go see if I can find some bu's blend locally just to boost the humus quality a touch...cant get more EWC for a few weeks according to the guy who is supplying it.

gas - those pics are stunning. don't ever say you can't take a good picture....my mouth is watering. TO and BO seem to blow almost any other genetics out of the park...y'all are real lucky. props to cootz for holding onto those gems for so long...true dedication

G

greenmatter

gascan

in the first post you say to let the soil "cook" in the containers that you are going to be planting in

how important is it that you do it that way? will there be a noticeable difference in the grow if i let things cook in a 40 gallon bin and then fill the pots?

Gascanastan

Veteran
gascan

in the first post you say to let the soil "cook" in the containers that you are going to be planting in

how important is it that you do it that way? will there be a noticeable difference in the grow if i let things cook in a 40 gallon bin and then fill the pots?

This is posted this way for simplicity. You can build a 15 ft high pile and let it breakdown that way,or fill particular containers..either way let it breakdown with adequate moisture and aeration before planting.
This is basically a composting situation,there are 'hot' amendments that need to be well on thier way to decomposing,or decomposed by the time planting comes around.

W89

Veteran
gascan

This is posted this way for simplicity. You can build a 15 ft high pile and let it breakdown that way,or fill particular containers..either way let it breakdown with adequate moisture and aeration before planting.
This is basically a composting situation,there are 'hot' amendments that need to be well on thier way to decomposing,or decomposed by the time planting comes around.

I guess it just depends on ones oven size...

Cann

if you cant fit it in your oven at home, call a local restaurant and see if you can borrow their industrial oven for a night...should do the trick ;)

worth the cost IMO

B

BlueJayWay

It seems the purple/black barleys do, in general, have higher protein contents averaging around 16% & 17% - Tokuji barley is the highest I found @ 20% - for whatever that's worth!

VortexPower420

Veteran
Howdy folks,
Something I noticed is how beneficial bubbling spout teas seems to be. Not only does it keep it moving and cut down smell but I seem to have better results. I am not sure if this was mentioned before, I know I have seen it discussed both ways. I started not bubbling and after 2 days it would ferment and start to smell, i would also note that the sprouts would stop growing.

When I started bubbling my results were better ( almost watch plants jump) but the sprouts would still be growing and viable.

I have a feeling that as the sprouts grow they are still producing enzymes and extracting the stuff we want. Right? I do know at least they are not being broken down by fermentation.

CC- Fist off good to see you and your knowledge back at the "Thread of truth", even though I don't participate much I love reading yours and everyone elses informative posts. Thank you all.
I was wondering what the effects of to much Humics was. You also mention not adding Aluminum-silicate clays if you plan on using Bioag's Humic products, I have added a minimal amount and was wondering if you think it will be a problem if I plan on using Ful-Power and Ful Humic on a regular basis. Also what are your application rates and frequency?

Thanks All

Timbuktu

That leads me to my next question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts