What's new

Living organic soil from start through recycling

Status
Not open for further replies.

ixnay007

"I can't remember the last time I had a blackout"
Veteran
I've added powdered nettles, usually as a top dressing, but I don't see much difference mixing it with the soil.. top dressing usually means I didn't have it around when I made the soil, or if you're on top of your game, that you don't change the soil in the containers, you just add in adjuncts from above.

Weyenot

Lots of catching up to do lol how is everyone?

OK now that's done where has coot been?

Ive been wondering that as well, definitely been missing his quirky self around these parts, insight and humor plus alot of heart! I realize we all have lives other than on here but I will be happy to see him back here, soon hopefully; Gas and everyone else too, its been quiet around here in general!!

All in time; for now Im making a move on some serious compost pile construction and I just put some seedlings in recently; simply maaaaavelous, there is always something to do:)

Weyenot

All excellent products. What you get kinda depends on what else you are doing. There is no need to supply something you already have plenty of...but if you are missing something then every one of those is a fine product.

There are probably cheaper ways for everything except maybe the Fulvic though.

Yes, it does seem that products except perhaps the FulP and the VAM would be best used if you had a lack somewhere; good point YS! I only have experience, and a minimal level at that, with the FulP; it definitely seems to increase vigor for one thing. I applied some today at 20ml per gallon and a few hours later all areas of new growth were stretching straight up for the light!! It makes even more of a statement seeing as I had shocked these ladies a bit by transplanting them into cold soil just a few days ago.
What are you wanting to achieve Cann?

B

bajangreen

Can anyone even describe what a living soil is? or how to identify it from a dead soil?

Neo 420

Veteran
Can anyone even describe what a living soil is? or how to identify it from a dead soil?

Living soil:
Has several organisms that assist with the life support of plants. Some of those organisms are:
Bacteria
Fungi
Protozoa (flagellates, amoebae, ciliates, etc) (They eat bacteria)
Nematodes
Microarthropods (small insects)
OM (Organic matter)

Dead soil:
Dry (LOL) and/or absence of the above. Identify with a microscope..

Last edited:

Cann

Yes, it does seem that products except perhaps the FulP and the VAM would be best used if you had a lack somewhere; good point YS! I only have experience, and a minimal level at that, with the FulP; it definitely seems to increase vigor for one thing. I applied some today at 20ml per gallon and a few hours later all areas of new growth were stretching straight up for the light!! It makes even more of a statement seeing as I had shocked these ladies a bit by transplanting them into cold soil just a few days ago.
What are you wanting to achieve Cann?

I am just looking for a good fulvic/humic supplement that I can preferably foliar feed. The cytoplus and TM-7 didn't look bad, but like you guys said I probably don't need either of those as long as I have another source of micronutrients (tm-7) and seaweed (cytoplus) - both of which can be achieved with kelp lol. I ended up just going with the ful-power, I think it will serve my purposes fine. No VAM for me, I already have a bunch of different mycorrhizal inoculants that are top notch.

On another note - homeboy at the hydro store tried to convince me that all fulvic supplements are identical....was really pushing the advanced nutrients fulvic supplement...told me it was better than ful-power lol (everything but ful-power is derived from leonardite :moon:) . laughed in his face and proceeded to buy the ful-power. They did have it on sale for cheaper than retail ($40 gallon!!!) so that was nice, although they only had one gallon in stock and nothing smaller...so I guess I'm stocked up on ful-power for a while lol.

cootz where are ya??? your presence is greatly missed :tiphat:

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
seems like something of a chasm developing over the 'living soil' distinction

FTMP it seems reasonable to assume that most if not all grows involve some degree of micro-life in the medium

the living soil technique is distinguished in that it emphasizes that aspect and the focus of LS methods {which can be quite diverse} is on providing for and nurturing that micro-life which will then take care of the plant

W89

Veteran
Hows it going mobot mate? hope your all good!

Cann. I'm back from my little holiday lol hows it going bud? check out my latest plant pics in that thread I made

bigshrimp

Veteran
In a strict soil food web outlook these would be unecessary or counter productive, assuming you have a healthy soil.

Though if you are in the mind to push it a little you could add these in small amounts during certain points in the grow cycle.

I add a pinch of tm7 once during watering early week one flower.
I usually do half the lowest recommended dose of fulvic at early veg and week 3 flower via foliar.

Just my 2 cents not backed up by Any data.

Neo 420

Veteran
FTMP it seems reasonable to assume that most if not all grows involve some degree of micro-life in the medium
Specifically in the MJ scene, you will probably find very few adequate micro-life environments due to the psuedo science that has followed it. Stacked with the quest for the largest bud swell, and smell/taste modifications, there has to be impairment on the micro level. (In Hydro the rave is dead rez's)

If we are talking about "organic" style growing (even some of the fringe or bottled concepts) or responsibly used ferts I agree. But in the chem paradigm with MJ, the tagline is more is better

the living soil technique is distinguished in that it emphasizes that aspect and the focus of LS methods {which can be quite diverse} is on providing for and nurturing that micro-life which will then take care of the plant
agreed..

B

BlueJayWay

Yea homeboy needs to get schooled lol. Fulpower is $35 a gallon at the shop I mentioned to you, but probably not worth the drive. You'll find it as an excellent addition to all your foliars and cutting solution as well, definitely try it in your cutting solution.

1oz fulpower
2oz aloe
1tsp Protekt

Per gallon water - boom! No clonex or anything needed, but I heard rubbing your stem in fresh aloe gel is excellent as well!

I use TM7 biweekly in compost teas or as an addition to the sprout teas

VAMendo is top notch and worth a gander when (and if) your other mycorrhizal innoculants run out.

I am just looking for a good fulvic/humic supplement that I can preferably foliar feed. The cytoplus and TM-7 didn't look bad, but like you guys said I probably don't need either of those as long as I have another source of micronutrients (tm-7) and seaweed (cytoplus) - both of which can be achieved with kelp lol. I ended up just going with the ful-power, I think it will serve my purposes fine. No VAM for me, I already have a bunch of different mycorrhizal inoculants that are top notch.

On another note - homeboy at the hydro store tried to convince me that all fulvic supplements are identical....was really pushing the advanced nutrients fulvic supplement...told me it was better than ful-power lol (everything but ful-power is derived from leonardite :moon:) . laughed in his face and proceeded to buy the ful-power. They did have it on sale for cheaper than retail ($40 gallon!!!) so that was nice, although they only had one gallon in stock and nothing smaller...so I guess I'm stocked up on ful-power for a while lol.

cootz where are ya??? your presence is greatly missed :tiphat:

W89

Veteran
I just had to re-post this post that I just came across fucking priceless...

Quote:
Originally Posted by They

Who goes to college to find out what food taste like?

Same people that defecate, urinate and menstruate on their plants hoping to achieve Elimination Excellence

Such a way with words heh? LOL

Neo 420

Veteran
You'll find it as an excellent addition to all your foliars and cutting solution as well, definitely try it in your cutting solution.

1oz fulpower
2oz aloe
1tsp Protekt

Per gallon water - boom! No clonex or anything needed, but I heard rubbing your stem in fresh aloe gel is excellent as well!
I actually let my fresh cutting sit 24 hours in aloe vera and coconut solution then followed the recipe above with 50% perlite and 50% EWC.
2 weeks later BAM.....

No artificial flavoring or chemicals allowed!!!!

Neo 420

Veteran
Nevilles Wreck ROLS no till style......I like em big!!! (had planted clovers but they are now 100% shaded and died back)

3 weeks flower- Almost 4. Nevilles Wreck

Arjans Haze.. (been having some leaf curl issues with her)

W89

Veteran
VAM BAM THANKYOU MAM!

Shang-a-lang-a, Shang-a-du-lang, Shang-a-lang-a
Sa-i-di ma-moon, sa-i-di ma-moon, Sa-i-di gris gris

B

BlueJayWay

I actually let my fresh cutting sit 24 hours in aloe vera and coconut solution then followed the recipe above with 50% perlite and 50% EWC.
2 weeks later BAM.....

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=20708&pictureid=1007408&thumb=1]View Image[/URL] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=20708&pictureid=1007407&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]

No artificial flavoring or chemicals allowed!!!!

Yea my cuttings sit overnight in the solution as well, if they're going into plugs ie rapid rooters those soak also, lately they've been going into the regular soil mix pre-watered with the same - it all works good! :)

Neo 420

Veteran
Yea my cuttings sit overnight in the solution as well, if they're going into plugs ie rapid rooters those soak also, lately they've been going into the regular soil mix pre-watered with the same - it all works good! :)
Thats the beauty of all this. Simple, natural and it works!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.