What's new

Living organic soil from start through recycling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gascanastan

Gone but NOT forgotten...
Veteran
A larger soil biosphere is pretty critical w/no-till pots. I have used 1,3,and 4 gallon pots with ROLS no-till...but those were appropriately sized plants for the size of the container. The 1 gal. ROLS no-tills had smaller plants in them.

This little Pure Kush x BMR lived in a 3 gal ROLS no-till pot.

picture.php

DDG,

It's not registered. Why don't you get it? Not registered = not cool. Kay?

...and you'd think caps lock should've been enough.

sorry,my apologies. and i do get it. i honestly wasn't trying to suggest that this was to be taken as factual information. i was just trying to show that a great deal of misinformation is being spread regarding neem oil. i thought i was clear by stating that it was nonsense, and something a troll would put up. i was in no way trying to be discredit the use of neem. i use the stuff all the time. i did not know how to check for website registration but CC's post informed me of how to do that in the future. thanks though,
DDG

C

CT Guy

DDG

Will Karanja oil and meal be included on the neem ban? That could be an easy route around this. The differences are minuscule - comes down to different form of a Nimbin derivative which has nothing to do with growing plants.

That price you were quoted is very fair. $1.45 per lb. is actually on the low end at least here in the states. Delivered price from the USA distributor of the organic products is about $95.00 for 44 lbs/20 kg.

CC

Just FYI, they had a price increase with my last order.

think_fast

sorry,my apologies. and i do get it. i honestly wasn't trying to suggest that this was to be taken as factual information. i was just trying to show that a great deal of misinformation is being spread regarding neem oil. i thought i was clear by stating that it was nonsense, and something a troll would put up. i was in no way trying to be discredit the use of neem. i use the stuff all the time. i did not know how to check for website registration but CC's post informed me of how to do that in the future. thanks though,
DDG

DDG,

I wasn't being serious. I give you way more credit than that buddy :biggrin:

John Deere

Veteran
My flower cab is only 2' x 2' w/400w hps. My first run w/organics I used 1 gallon smart pots. I had to start top dressing and feeding early in flower. I'm using larger pots this round and I'll report more later but I assume they'll do better.

think_fast

My flower cab is only 2' x 2' w/400w hps. My first run w/organics I used 1 gallon smart pots. I had to start top dressing and feeding early in flower. I'm using larger pots this round and I'll report more later but I assume they'll do better.

Thanks JD! Did you get premature yellowing while using the 1 gallon pots? I'm getting such great, really fantastic growth up until the first 3-4 weeks of flower. Praying hands lush green vegetation the whole shabang, and then things seem to go for the worse. Always yellowing, sometimes crusting leaves, sometimes deep purples/browns on certain strains. It's like watching really great potential just decide to flunk out give up.

I'm thinking pot size, adding biochar, and investing in some better compost. If I can do the latter two and avoid increasing pot size, hoo ray! :woohoo:

Y

YosemiteSam

There are two ways to increase the size of the battery so to speak. One is big pots...just straight up more soil means more cec sites to hold onto stuff you need.

The second method is higher cec soil. This is where the importance of a good humus portion is. Your normal potting soil is gonna be 25-30 total cec. If you can get it up to 50-60 then your soil is capable of holding twice as many cations for the plants use.

On top of that you want plenty of microbiology.

Still, one gallon pots are pushing it for a water only grow.

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Just FYI, they had a price increase with my last order

CT Guy

With DTE selling Karanja meal now and with mainstream nurseries selling full bags of Neem meal (China), the organic products could go even higher.

Seeing 6 lb. boxes of Karanja at hydroponic stores and even Portland Nursery kinda sez it all......

CC

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
I've used Spinosad when it's required in flower. One advantage to Spinosad is that it is a bacteria culture and therefore it remains effective over several days vs. plant compounds which degrade pretty quickly under HID lights or sunlight.

Sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do. I cut the recommend dosage in half for flowering plants.

HTH

CC

think_fast

Gosh this has been a week of variables! I've got so many new additions I am quite stoked about 'the new look'. Let's see...

1) Meeker's Magic Mix fish compost ordered from our friendly Canadian owned and nearing extinction Home Hardware store (thanks Quentin!)

2) Spinosad - It's nuke time!

3) Bioag Ful-Power

4) Aloe Vera LOTD as well as 28 grams of 200x

5) Fish bone meal

6) Fish meal

7) Crab meal

8) organic neem cake and neem oil (wow what a difference compared to the hydro store crap)

9) Redwood Mulch (can you say 'moisture retention?')

10) Pro-Tekt

11) Organic cilantro

12) 20 worms for $10 from local worm guy (ugh). Figure it's enough to get this vermicomposting going. There was a shit ton of other critters in the container, including small white worm like things, some large dark mite, and some hopping black beetle creatures. I got scared and dumped the entire thing in the compost bin before any of it invaded the rest of the environment.

13) Tropf Blumats

14) and of course NEW BEANS!

:blowbubbles:

John Deere

Veteran
Thanks JD! Did you get premature yellowing while using the 1 gallon pots? I'm getting such great, really fantastic growth up until the first 3-4 weeks of flower. Praying hands lush green vegetation the whole shabang, and then things seem to go for the worse. Always yellowing, sometimes crusting leaves, sometimes deep purples/browns on certain strains. It's like watching really great potential just decide to flunk out give up.

I'm thinking pot size, adding biochar, and investing in some better compost. If I can do the latter two and avoid increasing pot size, hoo ray! :woohoo:

Yep, sounds exactly like the issues I had. Search my name in the Organics for Beginners thread and you'll find my post with pix.

I'm always looking to increase the quality of my soil as well. (started composting, got a connection for some worms, looking to make some biochar) I'm also bumping up my container size to find out how large I need for my setup. And once I get my soil dialed in a bit...hmm...one large tub, no till? :smoke:

think_fast

Down-To-Earth Neem Meal & Dyna-Gro Neem Tree Oil - am I close?

The Ahimsa Alternative neem cake and neem oil (as per your suggestion). I hope those are close to the quality of the brands you mentioned, since I have never had occassion to sample them. But I must say, the vibrant colours of the cake (a deep red/brown) and an aroma that isn't unpleasant at all (at least to me) which smells more like a musky bbq smell, make for a truly gourmet calibre amendment!

The plants get fed better than I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.