What's new

Living organic soil from start through recycling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gascanastan

Gone but NOT forgotten...
Veteran
Is there anyone out there more intelligent than I that knows of a simple way to filter out all the nasties from collected rain water? Looked up a bunch of videos on YouTube and it seems like complicated stuff or they're trying to sell something..today is going to be a good day..

I went to the fabric store and found a piece of common pillow batting. The same type of material that covers carbon filters. Anyway,I draped the stuff over the top of my collection barrel and strapped it on w/a bungee cord.

I used to do like this and just stick a window screen over it.

picture.php

But honestly the more bugs and funky stuff that falls in there the better...as long as it doesn't clog the pump. I use about 80 gallons every 4 days so stagnate conditions aren't a concern...and yes it rains enough to keep up w/that demand.

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Sean

It's not that the rain is 'tainted' but after you collect it in a barrel some care is required to keep 'nasties' from establishing colonies, i.e. anaerobic microbes. No big deal just something you need to take care of if you're going to store it for the long term.

There are some really nice solar-powered barrel 'stirrers' (or whatever they're called) that you mount on the lid and that is really effective. You wouldn't have to have a single unit on each barrel, i.e. you can shift the lids around several barrels during the week.

I'll get you a few advertising photos of the premium set-ups to explain things better than I have or can.

CC

My city has tons of smog in the air..what I hear is the rain is very clean when it first starts to make its way to earth but the rest of the way down it picks up dirt and pollution when it's closer to hitting the ground..

Sulfur dioxide is sometimes used as a preservative for dried apricots, dried figs, and other dried fruits owing to its antimicrobial properties, and it is sometimes called E220 when used in this way.

Well that can't be good

I couldn't see the image I was talking about the wall of script lol, would letting the rain water flow through a bunch of hard sand be able to catch all the bad stuff? I seen a YouTube vid were a guy did something like this not sure if it would actually work though.

B

BlueJayWay

I see a lot of new posters in this thread lately - you're all headed in the right direction! I got on this boat early and couldn't be fuckin' happier ha.

I've been converting to a living soil garden for a good year and the more i work and tend and love (call me a hippy, whatever) the soil the more it gives back. I'm falling into a good routine with (1st and foremost) the soil mix, botanical teas, act's and it really shows across the board:

1. plant health is insane
2. Meds arer #1 in the dispens - quality - requests - potency - trich coverage - taste :D

Sprouted alfalfa or barley tea foliar / soil drench - holy shit do plants respond to this, if you haven't tried it, you're missin' out!

This is more and more common, and seems to "stick" after an enzyme bath (sprouted tea) - prayyyyyy

CKxWS

No-till runs are quite simply - the shit. Thinking of switching a couple lights to all 15gal smart pots to try and go 4+ runs...

...first run in those might be some beautiful seedlings I've been lucky enough to test that are poppin' their little heads out - TOxSC99 - BOxCB - VRxNLH fuck yeah - who said no ones excited about VELVET RUSH ;) more to come on these next year!

S

schwagg

i grow it, mrs schwagg is the consumer! i'd love to have a setup big enough to produce enough meds for a disp. most of the "organic" stuff up this way is a joke.

CC, after a few barley experiments with the sprouting part i think i have it down. gave the girls a nice watering of it last night so i'm anxious for the light to come back on.

Gascanastan

Veteran
The garden I work in is a collective...we got 3 cards down on it so the rules say 45 plants. Then again cannabis is legal now....so that changes the game a bit. It goes to collectives and dispensaries...or is given away to the terminally ill free of charge.

think_fast

John Deere

Pick-up a bottle of non-preservative Aloe vera juice. It will contain preservatives but the 'good ones' do not have to be listed as a preservative, per se: Ascorbic Acid, Citric Acid, etc.

The one you do not want is 'Sodium of Benzoate' - Whole Foods will have the right version and it will probably be from a company called 'Lily of the Desert' (Aloe vera is a member of the Lily family)

CC

I picked up a bottle of Lilly of the Desert Aloe Vera extract and the label says there is 'sodium benzoate' as a preservative. But you also mention that this is a trustworthy brand. But you also mention that one should avoid 'sodium of benzoate'.

:dunno:

G

greenmatter

CC

I picked up a bottle of Lilly of the Desert Aloe Vera extract and the label says there is 'sodium benzoate' as a preservative. But you also mention that this is a trustworthy brand. But you also mention that one should avoid 'sodium of benzoate'.

:dunno:

Aloe Farms sits on the shelf right next to Lily of the Desert (at least where i shop) ........ no sodium benzoate in it

Gascanastan

Veteran
I see a lot of new posters in this thread lately - you're all headed in the right direction! I got on this boat early and couldn't be fuckin' happier ha.

I've been converting to a living soil garden for a good year and the more i work and tend and love (call me a hippy, whatever) the soil the more it gives back. I'm falling into a good routine with (1st and foremost) the soil mix, botanical teas, act's and it really shows across the board:

1. plant health is insane
2. Meds arer #1 in the dispens - quality - requests - potency - trich coverage - taste :D

Sprouted alfalfa or barley tea foliar / soil drench - holy shit do plants respond to this, if you haven't tried it, you're missin' out!

This is more and more common, and seems to "stick" after an enzyme bath (sprouted tea) - prayyyyyy
https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=38994&pictureid=975865View Image https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=38994&pictureid=975866View Image https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=38994&pictureid=975867View Image
CKxWS

No-till runs are quite simply - the shit. Thinking of switching a couple lights to all 15gal smart pots to try and go 4+ runs...

...first run in those might be some beautiful seedlings I've been lucky enough to test that are poppin' their little heads out - TOxSC99 - BOxCB - VRxNLH fuck yeah - who said no ones excited about VELVET RUSH ;) more to come on these next year!

Hey what's CK x WS....I know I know I'm not much better with the TO x CB,VR x NLH,K x B/CB etc,etc.

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
think fast

Lily of The Desert has several Aloe Vera products. Here's a link to their preservative-free products

As GreenMatter pointed out, Aloe Vera Farms (out of Texas) is a perfect choice. No fancy labels, bullish*t marketing, et al. Plain-wrapped and a very, very nice product.

HTH

CC

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Does everyone grow for dispensaries in the pnw?
Sean

Oregon's MMJ rules do not allow for selling anything to anyone at any time.

However there are some people that have set-up 'clinics' and are operating under the legal advice from a world famous seed breeder and former stripper.

Seems all nice & tidy doesn't it?

LMAO

CC

Status
Not open for further replies.