What's new

Light Dep Greenhouse Heaters?

Space Case

Veteran
Any recommendations for a propane heater for light dep use? Heard of people ducting in warm air from an external propane heater, such as these forced air units.

http://www.amazon.com/L-B-White-TS080-Portable-Ductable/dp/B006NXALFC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1429416056&sr=8-1&keywords=ductable+propane+heater

I need a heater that isn't going to glow or give off any light, or preferably can be ran outside of the greenhouse and the heat brought in. It would be nice if the combustion was separated and the excess water vapor not being added to the greenhouse environment. Needing about 30-60kBTU per greenhouse. Also, the heater needs to be controlled by thermostat.

These LB White units look nice. Also looked at the Modine Hot Dawg HDS models, and also some of these hydronic hot water/steam systems. The hot water systems seem really cool, but not the cheapest and could be problematic, and they require some kind of water furnace, and not sure how efficient that is when burning propane. Also seen some DIY systems with car radiators and portable tankless hot water heaters.

Any experience, ideas, or suggestions?

The mr. heaters with a hose work good decent, some have a basic thermostat. Plants don't seem to mind the faint glow or extra co2. I saw a professional gh one at a shop that ducted the co2 and humidity outside for about 2k. It can also run the heat throughout the greenie with ducting.

Space Case

Veteran
The mr. heaters with a hose work good decent, some have a basic thermostat. Plants don't seem to mind the faint glow or extra co2. I saw a professional gh one at a shop that ducted the co2 and humidity outside for about 2k. It can also run the heat throughout the greenie with ducting.

Those Mr heaters are all 9-12kBTU. I would need minimum 3 per greenhouse and would have to add and split propane hose. And 3 of em might add significant glow.

Whats the name or brand of the ductable one you saw?

Chimera

Genetic Resource Management
Veteran
They do glow, but you can dial it down. Put a heat shield on them so they don't blow against the pants.

Also keep in mind that burning propane / hydrocarbons adds humidity... water is an artifact of combustion... electric heat is better, but for those up in the mountains I know it's a necessity... been there done that!

-Chimera

Space Case

Veteran
They do glow, but you can dial it down. Put a heat shield on them so they don't blow against the pants.

Also keep in mind that burning propane / hydrocarbons adds humidity... water is an artifact of combustion... electric heat is better, but for those up in the mountains I know it's a necessity... been there done that!

-Chimera

Thanks Chimera. Yea, thats why I am looking at the HDS Hot Dawg models, with separated combustion. But I don't want to have to cut my greenhouse cover to have to vent that unit. Seems like it would compromise the snugness and wind-resistance of the greenhouse cover by cutting into it.

Electric would be nice, but I can't afford to spare more than a 15amp circuit, and that isn't much heat for multiple greenhouses. All I can do with that power is run blower fans for propane heaters. I have literally a bunch of 100lb. propane tanks sitting full not getting used, so I'd like to stick to propane.

I'm not super high in the mountains, but 7000ft (2000m) above sea level is pretty high for all you flat landers out there...

Space Case

Veteran
Cool, so I will probably just get the Hot Dawg and not vent it, just deal with the extra humidity. The heater will only be used for light dep during spring months, so nothing will be in full flower. Out here on the edge of the desert, they could probably benefit from some humidity in veg.

Latest posts

Latest posts