What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Let’s talk about autos

Durp

Long time grower, been fucking with auto hybrids for 5 cycles. Not worth the time and nutes. Get some good fem seeds to search for a mom to clone off of. Old school is the way to go on this. Hybrids are unstable to begin with so if you want a good plant it's gonna take atleast 1 seed pack. Auto just ruins your shot of having a nice mom. I have only grown 1 auto strain well and that was thc bomb about 10 years ago.

The_Skunkist

~~ Auto Ninja ~~
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You can compare birds and rhinos .... If it makes sense for you.
But when a bird poops on you, better it was not a rhino.

There's no best, it's a concept, the best is what is suited to you in a particular moment of your life. 500% subjective

But indeed, "new" school is not for those who don't want to learn, I agree with that !
I have seen so many old growers hurting their egos with autos that I'm not amazed at all to read such a thing again and again, even in 2022.

When you see an open minded grower like @bibi40 litterally enjoying everything ( auto / photo / fast version / indicas / sativas ...).
It clearly depends on state of mind and will.

So shoud I say : " Fuck basket cased people ? Fuck you ? ". Not sure it makes sense.

Autos:
69490424.jpg

BadTicket

ØG T®ipL3 ØG³
Veteran
I can see an argument for autos if you're an outdoor grower and need to bring the harvest in earlier, but I don't understand the concept of auto's for indoor.
Yep. I only grow autos because they are doable outdoors here @ 61N. Indoors, I did a couple of auto-runs to test some shits, and/or to make seeds. Other than that, I wouldn´t waste time with indoor autos.

Prolly wouldn´t grow em outdoors either if I lived more south and could grow "regular", non-auto photo weed stuff reliably.

But you know, whatever, some people like their autos or they appreciate the simplicity.
And that is cool, too.

Guy started this thread for whatever reason to hate on autos, fine.
Guy also said autos just ruin your shot at getting a decent mom..

Well yea, they are autos. No one looks for momma plants from autoflowskis if they know their shit.
Well, outside of a few rebel guys, who are out to prove something, like "motherfuckers said this can´t/shouldn´t be done..

Fuck em, I´ma do it!"

Then it didn´t really work. Or only kinda did..

Read / learn from people who dunnit before you try, then think about if it´s worth trying..

Now if you´ll excuse me, I´ll go propose to my stripper girlfriend who I met last week at the tittie bar.

This the 3rd one. 1st chick said lol, no.
2nd chick said yes, but only after I showed her my credit card.
So lucky number 3! C´mon bay-bay!

That´s how I feel about autoflowering weed.

pjlive

In my case, I've begun working with autos for the first time after getting lured into the idea of being able to produce 3 or possibly even 4 cycles per year using suitable strains. So, I'm traveling down to the auto-flower crossroad, trying to find the right male and female marriage to produce squat, fast flowering, and potent plants suited for my personal use needs.

I've only recently started because I began looking at autos as a "ridiculous" variety. I can't readily clone them, their Ruderalis genes tend to diminish scent, taste, and potency. But now as I age I find them to be a possibility to mix in with my more standard grows. Or, to utilize during times of increased or unexpected physical limitations.

I do agree this type of cannabis plant should be a very subjective addition to a collection or schedule. But I don't agree that cannabis autos will be the equal to the Cherry Tomato craze. There are too many limitations. But, if you're the type of grower just looking for a fast way to test out various strain genetics -- that can be a good thing too.

Many people seem to belive that, over time, the auto will surpass not only feminized strains, but photo periods, too. Personally, I think that concept is rubbish.

Three Berries

I just got some auto seeds and plan for the winter time veg tent grow. Avoid the colder big flower tent. My first grow back in the day was autos and IIRC was a disaster.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Horses for courses (as we say in UK). I wouldn't dream of growing them indoors where i have perfect control over the light cycle... but outdoors in the UK is often pretty marginal and in a poor summer you might get no harvest with regular strains... so autos are absolutely a valid thing to grow.
VG

revegeta666

First of all, to each his own of course.

That said, I agree with those who say they can be useful outdoors, especially if you can't attend to them daily. Or can't move them inside. Otherwise I would do regular seeds and force them to flower, by bringing them inside, or using a covered greenhouse for light deprivation. This is a nice way to get more than one harvest per season, without compromising quality. Can do it with clones, can clone the seedlings, so many advantages against autos.

I really struggle to see any advantage growing autos indoors though. Lesser quality product, crazy electricity cost, inability to save moms, having to start them in big pots mean you need a light with bigger footprint from the start so even more expensive, no way to do proper selections, can't grow clones so you have to pay for seeds everytime, if they have a bad start they can't recover as regular seeds, etc etc etc. I just don't get it sorry.

I have grown a few of them on the balcony for an extra spring harvest, maybe 25 in total, but the results were very underwhelming. Especially quality-wise. I just won't do it as long as there's someone home everyday to move the photoperiod plants inside to sleep. Quite a luxury I know, not everyone can do this. In my case I have a little chariot where I load my plants every day, and have 2 alarms on my phone that I follow every day to make sure they flower correctly. It is a pain in the ass but well worth the effort in my opinion.

Last edited:

Petrochemical

Long time grower, been fucking with auto hybrids for 5 cycles. Not worth the time and nutes. Get some good fem seeds to search for a mom to clone off of. Old school is the way to go on this. Hybrids are unstable to begin with so if you want a good plant it's gonna take atleast 1 seed pack. Auto just ruins your shot of having a nice mom. I have only grown 1 auto strain well and that was thc bomb about 10 years ago.
I concur

mack 10

Veteran
I like the idea of auto's but yet to smoke one with an enjoyable high.
Not bashing just what I've experienced.
Can anyone recommend an auto with a nice relaxing high and not the rudalis head ache, racey thing.
A friend is about to harvest a Royal Queen seeds Blue Cheese an it looks and smells good. So we shall see.

DoubleTripleOG

Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
I like the idea of auto's but yet to smoke one with an enjoyable high.
Not bashing just what I've experienced.
Can anyone recommend an auto with a nice relaxing high and not the rudalis head ache, racey thing.
A friend is about to harvest a Royal Queen seeds Blue Cheese an it looks and smells good. So we shall see.
Mephisto Genetics and Twenty20Mendocino . Best Auto weed I've ever smoked.

Stizo

Veteran
They all have that weird ruderalis hay chlorophyll taste to them with whatever they are crossed in to adding some flavour but having tried even ones from companies that swear blind their autos taste legit, just aren't. Short and tall of it I'm afraid.

titoon29

Travelling Cannagrapher Penguin !
Veteran
Been growing Mephisto autos for the past few years, for outdoor purposes ;)
There is some amazing flowers in there, and I can tell you that you can't distinguish the Mephisto gear from non auto - and I m no beginner ;)
For instance these days we've been tokeing on one of their freebies line, very Mango Haze-y : amazing sativa high (almost freaky, some can't handle), taste like exotic fruit blended with SSH, and that s on multiple phenos. If you had told me a couple of years ago I could grow such genetics to their full potential in my outdoor climate, I wouldn't have believed...