What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Let's see your frostiest bud!! part 2

Mohadib

Veteran
This is a really important quote in regards to breeding that I think a lot of people miss. Just because you have an individual that grows well/ has good bud, doesnt mean that individual will necessarily pass on those traits. (why people shouldnt just cross elite cuts all the time)

Although I think the underlying principle is true, it also implies that an individual with certain traits that ain't considered ideal (i.e. a proneness for hermaphrodism) can be used for breeding purpusses, because these bad traits are not necessarily inherited by later generations (so basically what Need 4 Seed said).

With that said, I think the question isn't really wheather certain cultivars shouldn't be used for breeding, but rather if breeders/seed producers should thoroughly test their genetics before they put them on the market. Of course they should :)

eyesdownchronic

Although I think the underlying principle is true, it also implies that an individual with certain traits that ain't considered ideal (i.e. a proneness for hermaphrodism) can be used for breeding purpusses, because these bad traits are not necessarily inherited by later generations (so basically what Need 4 Seed said).

With that said, I think the question isn't really wheather certain cultivars shouldn't be used for breeding, but rather if breeders/seed producers should thoroughly test their genetics before they put them on the market. Of course they should :)

Ehh kinda. Because remember, we are talking here about a high performing individual that was selected from a (poor) line that has very herm dominate. This means that even though the one individual didnt show those traits, genetically, its probably still there. Now if you had one high performing individual that did herm, but was selected from a batch of seeds that was mostly genetically stable, that would be different.

Undoubtedly, one could go through the process of breeding herm traits out of a line, but its just about how much effort ie time you want to have to put in.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
They do pass on those bad traits. Weather they express as recessive or dom is the issue. In both cases here they where tested and those bad traits where dom. For me when I see Dom bad traits I don't use them. If a excellent pheno is found in bad genetics I enjoy that girl. It pretty much ends there.

eyesdownchronic

picture.php

Kosher f3

NEED 4 SEED

Not with genetics that bad. Whats the point. That's not a little breeding work lol.. Your very argumentative about a simple reply why I agreed with him. It is what it is :biggrin:.

Well the genetics of that single plant dont seem to be that bad. It was the one without nanners and it looks spot-on for a cookie plant. Of course he could go on and try another pack of another company but he could as well just plant 10 seeds coming from one of that plant's crosses. Sorry, I didn't want to start an argument but if I look at that plant it is too good to get dumped.

Mohadib

Veteran
Ehh kinda. Because remember, we are talking here about a high performing individual that was selected from a (poor) line that has very herm dominate. This means that even though the one individual didnt show those traits, genetically, its probably still there. Now if you had one high performing individual that did herm, but was selected from a batch of seeds that was mostly genetically stable, that would be different.

Undoubtedly, one could go through the process of breeding herm traits out of a line, but its just about how much effort ie time you want to have to put in.

They do pass on those bad traits. Weather they express as recessive or dom is the issue. In both cases here they where tested and those bad traits where dom. For me when I see Dom bad traits I don't use them. If a excellent pheno is found in bad genetics I enjoy that girl. It pretty much ends there.

I agree with everything you guys say. I wasn't advocating using 'shitty' genetics to breed with. I just wanted to point out that using such cultivars for breeding purposes is not per se pointless, since it is very well possible to breed away from certain traits - as it has been done with certain equatorial sativa lines for example.

Personally, I wouldn't want to go through the hussle of using a line that's well known for it's hermie traits either. It's definitely coming with a lot of extra work and it's definitely impractical - but it's not impossible, that's all ;)

Anyway, since this thread is about frosty buds, here's some pics of my White Lemon Kush (White Lemon x San Fernando Lemon Kush). Not much of Kush/OG in there though. All the SFLK did was to add to the bud-structure and to increase the frost level. Aroma-wise it's an extremely loud mixture of lemon, frankincense, pine and 'haze'. Heavy hybrid effect with a slight emphasis on the cerebral side:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

superslot

tangerine dream auto

tangerine dream auto

Hi guys :wave: I'm new on the forum and in this world, this is my little baby girl, a Tangerine Dream Autoflowering from Barneys.
Do you think is ready to harvest?

I'm new to this world

RED 1

Without pushing her, when white pistils turn red,and,a trichrome check to you liking.A week + come back with a photo
:)

eyesdownchronic

Well the genetics of that single plant dont seem to be that bad. It was the one without nanners and it looks spot-on for a cookie plant. Of course he could go on and try another pack of another company but he could as well just plant 10 seeds coming from one of that plant's crosses. Sorry, I didn't want to start an argument but if I look at that plant it is too good to get dumped.
Eh sorry to bring this back up. But I really do feel that I have to reply. The whole point I was trying to make is that individual plant performance and combining ability (what a plants genetic performance is called) are very much independent of each other, and some times negatively related.This is because phenotypic expression only displays only a portion of the total genome, and this is especially problematic for highly heterozygous genetic material, which most cannabis is sadl. This means you can only see maybe half of the genetic material you are passing on, which is why its helpful to get an idea of the line as a whole . A great example is if you look at corn breeding lines and see the tiny runty ibl f20 that they use for individuals parents, and then you have massive high performing f1 kids who like nothing like the parents.But if you took those huge f1s to breed it would put out crap. This has a lot to do with heterozygous vigor, plants with a higher level of heterozygosity are able to activiate more proteins across the genome and are more vigorous than inbred individuals. :tiphat:

Get back to putting up those frosty nug pics!

Last edited:

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran

No one said to dump the plant. Its not a pheno I would use to make seeds with. She carries to many headaches. Its not something you can see. Cookies is notoriously known for doing this, 1:20 ratio is horribly bad. The odds of getting more plants with intersex issues is very high. Id move on to others that are more stable. As the original posted stated it was a failed project in the sense the seeds from that paring could be released. All can def enjoy the plant found. I cant say it any differently. Its time to get back on topic. This pheno surprised me. Cornbread bubba x Amber cookies.

picture.php

eyesdownchronic

Hey hammer, great looking bud from you as always. I've seen a couple of your crosses using the amber cookies. Wondering if you could shed some light onto what that cross is? ty

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wow, looks great! Nice and thick for a cookie cross.

That cross could have went south. GSC and Orange Cookies are both inherently bad at passing intersex plants. Many found bad plants in Orange Cookies. This pheno was fire og dom in structure but with a citrus aroma. I love that Orange terpene profiles. Those seeds where freebies. All the new stuff is in early flower so nothing to take pics of for another 30 days.

Itsmychoice

ICMag Donor
Flashbang 22 and 42

Attachments

• 2C870392-21DB-47A1-9090-D3A99CB1035D.jpg
    2C870392-21DB-47A1-9090-D3A99CB1035D.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 4EB4B6E8-A778-40DF-8B9A-BBE060207FFA.jpeg
    4EB4B6E8-A778-40DF-8B9A-BBE060207FFA.jpeg
    79.5 KB · Views: 26