What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Lemon Thai: Grow + hopefully make some seeds !

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi all, i've had a pack of Bodhi's small release of Lemon Thai 'F3' in the freezer for 10+ years and ive been looking for some LT seeds from another population of plants for a long time. Thanks to a tip off from a member here i managed to get a pack of LT seeds from Derg Corra, a low-key Danish collective.
The Bodhi release: He described the seed mother as an 'indica pheno' and he told me one time that he used two males.. of those 10 seeds i only got six to germ in 3 attempts over the years. The first 4 were run years ago and all girls, 2 hermed in mid flower, other 2 superb clear energetic high, one popped a couple of years ago and was also female, This is what i used to make the S1s which have come out well, herm free and representative of my experience of the line... so this plant is tried and tested and stable and will feature heavily in any repro. My last 3 seeds were wetted a few weeks ago and i got 1 seedling. pics in a minute but it's big, vigorous and looking pretty butch! Only getting 6 to germ out of 10 seeds is not great, i usually do much better, and i suspect that some seeds were never going to grow.. although they looked good. There were reports of a lot of fasciated plants from F4s of the Bodhi selection.. only one reported from my S1s so far. Its pretty clear that widening the genetic pool might help for future generations....

I sowed 9 of the Derg Corra seeds and 8 came up, good start, i was expecting these plants to show more variation and maybe be more narrow-leaf than the Bodhi ones... so of course in reality they actually have fatter leaves and all look pretty similar lol, perhaps slight differences in the sidebranching.

Pics, These first 3 are the tallest of the Derg corra front right. on the left is the Bodhi new plant, which was sowed at the same time as all the rest but is taller and already the most sidebranching, looks quite different.
Back right is the proven Bhodi female from clone, just getting into its stride..
Front right is the Tallest of the Derg Corra plants.
LTtallestbodhisidee.jpg

LTtallestbodhiside.jpg

4 more of the Derg Corra plants
LTmidtop.jpg
LTmidside.jpg

and the smallest 3 Dergs, front plant i initially thought might be slightly more narrow leaf, but now i'm pretty sure it's just a runt. it didn't look to have enough root growth to hold soil together for a repot... so i left it for now, it will probably be culled.
LTsmalltop.jpg
LTsmallside.jpg

Last edited:

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi @GMT Lemon Thai is actually from Hawaii, and certainly looks that way.
It is described as Thai x Hawaiian.... and old Dutch Flowers line. Its the same variety that i crossed to the amnesia (and made S1s of the LT at the same time.)
here is the Dutch Flowers description from way back :
"Lemon Thai was obtained from some folks out of Hawaii. The plants are sativa, but they didnt look like Thai to us, rather Hawaiian in phenotype, smell and high. Buds are candied with crystal, with a trademark citrus "lemon pledge" odour with a hint of peppermint. Very, very energetic high, it is the "clear mental surfing" variety for us, without a hint of paranoia .................. Chronic tokers can probably smoke this during the day and get things done, if not overdone. These buds are a favorite of many, as they are excellent positive-mood inducers. Excellent yields and bag appeal as well, shortest flowering period of the three offered, around 9 weeks."

and the thread about it in the main forum:

VG :tiphat:

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi, hopefully yes. hard to know what i will do, because the only Lemon Thai i know is the plants that came from the Bodhi seeds, and i love it... one of the most memorable highs in all that i have ever grown, very much as described above. in an ideal world the high and plants from the Derg Corra LT seeds will seem like they are the same as that and i will then happily 'cross' them as two distinct but legit populations of Lemon Thai.
Obviously if the new Bodhi LT seedling is a good male, i'll be able to make seeds with the tried and tested Bhodi female (the one i've already made S1s with and crossed to the ammi) as well.
I guess we'll play it by ear lol... and a lot has to go right before we get seeds.
VG

Last edited:

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi again all, been doing some digging...

It looks like the Derg Corra Collective (DCC) repro of LT used an 'F1' male from an original pack of Dutch Flowers LT (he only got males from the pack) and 2 female F3 LT's from a pack of Fusion F2s...
(looking at one of the pics, i think i see some fasciation on one of the girls too.. so clearly it is a 'thing' with this line. What is good is that the population does seem completely distinct from Bodhi's, his seeds came from Stash, a well known old-school collector that i have traded seeds with before.

Here is the description of LT from Fusion (from way back)
"Lemon Thai is a mostly sativa variety from Fusion seeds and can be cultivated indoors (where the plants will need a flowering time of ±84 days). Fusion Seeds' Lemon Thai is a THC dominant variety and is/was never available as feminized seeds."
"
A sweet sticky sativa dominant hybrid that produces huge yields of quality flowers. Originally brought to the public by the now defunct Dutch Flowers, this strain is thought to be a Thai hybrid acclimatized to the Hawaiian Islands. It grows broad leafs as a seedling, but really shows her Sativa qualities at the onset of flower.

Smells and flavors range from minty lemon, sweet lemon, bitter lemon and even a lemon melon pheno, all with some classic Thai flavor on the exhale. The high is almost all cerebral, unless you smoke too much in one sitting, then a crushing lethargic body stone kicks in. It is a very introspective high, not racy or paranoid, making for “deep thoughts” and excellent for musicians and artists. Be warned, this strain likes lots of space to stretch her roots otherwise she can be a bit fussy. Give her ample space and she will reward the grower with monster flowers."

VG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
How strange someone would call something Thai, if it's not from Thailand. At least you don't need to worry about the S.E. Asian X to Autosome thing. Fascinating, thanks.
possibly not.. but all of the plants ive had from Bodhi seeds have been female. This last seedling is the sixth.. and the last chance for a male from that side.
As for the name.. it could be a thai cross i guess but i have always wondered if the 'Thai' in the name might have referred to the type of high it has.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
To be honest, if there is any Thai in it, you're much better off with females, as the "males" are also female lol. If there isn't, then yes, of course fingers crossed for a male. Interesting conundrum, not knowing which to root for 😂.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
@Jahaze grew out some of the S1s from that plant. They came out really well.
Pic of S1 grown by @Jahaze (more in the threads)
jahazeLTS1.jpg

Here is a post from him about them:
@VerdantGreen Lemon Thai s1. Plant is in soil and smaller container. I grew four and all had a lemon solvent smell with varying degrees of spice/mint and 2 left a nice floral musky incense type smell after burning. All had good energy and very euphoric. Potency was high for a plants that finish under 10 weeks on average. Perfect 1st smoke of the day while allowing you to get stuff done while very high.

View attachment 18791610 View attachment 18791611 View attachment 18791612 View attachment 18791613 View attachment 18791614
and his thread where he test grew the LT S1s and also my fem cross Amnesia x LT

also another decent S1 Grow from @Ticketyboo :

Last edited:

LG/

Hi again all, been doing some digging...

It looks like the Derg Corra Collective (DCC) repro of LT used an 'F1' male from an original pack of Dutch Flowers LT (he only got males from the pack) and 2 female F3 LT's from a pack of Fusion F2s...
(looking at one of the pics, i think i see some fasciation on one of the girls too.. so clearly it is a 'thing' with this line. What is good is that the population does seem completely distinct from Bodhi's, his seeds came from Stash, a well known old-school collector that i have traded seeds with before.

Here is the description of LT from Fusion (from way back)
"Lemon Thai is a mostly sativa variety from Fusion seeds and can be cultivated indoors (where the plants will need a flowering time of ±84 days). Fusion Seeds' Lemon Thai is a THC dominant variety and is/was never available as feminized seeds."
"
A sweet sticky sativa dominant hybrid that produces huge yields of quality flowers. Originally brought to the public by the now defunct Dutch Flowers, this strain is thought to be a Thai hybrid acclimatized to the Hawaiian Islands. It grows broad leafs as a seedling, but really shows her Sativa qualities at the onset of flower.

Smells and flavors range from minty lemon, sweet lemon, bitter lemon and even a lemon melon pheno, all with some classic Thai flavor on the exhale. The high is almost all cerebral, unless you smoke too much in one sitting, then a crushing lethargic body stone kicks in. It is a very introspective high, not racy or paranoid, making for “deep thoughts” and excellent for musicians and artists. Be warned, this strain likes lots of space to stretch her roots otherwise she can be a bit fussy. Give her ample space and she will reward the grower with monster flowers."

VG
Very interested to see how this develops. Glad to hear you could get some old seed versions to use.
I have a couple girls going now from Doc Ds reproduction. Definitely more modern take than your getting into. Ill post pics in the other thread.
But I'm subbed!

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks @LG yes i saw your pics that looks nice ! glad to have you along.
VG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi all, ive had some contact from someone who has grown out a couple of DCC Lemon Thai female plants and they said that the effects were spot on for the strain description. Their young plants looked like mine and the leaflets lengthened as they matured and flowered with the end result looking like a typical hybrid. They also pointed me in the direction of the info on seedfinder for the DCC (done by santero) repro. It confirms what we already knew and pads out the info a bit :

"Genetical break-up:
LT F3 (two females) X LT F1 (lemon candy DF-male) = Lemon Thai IX

The male was from the original Dutch Flowers F1-release and already
had a strong 'Lemon Candy'-scent in veg, even stronger on stemrub.
The females were grown from F3-seeds made by smilestyle from his own
reproduction of fusion seeds' F2-release.

10-12 weeks with heavy yields of social / electric / creative / uplifting smoke.
no nervous effects and a very soft landing ... The xmas/candelabra shaped plants
smell of lemons and branch nicely. cuttings root very easy and reliable as well.
cherry on top: all these traits inherit quite reliably into the next generation.

This LT-IX was made by SAN and was released very
limited via Derg Corra Collective"

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The other grower i know who grew out some of the DCC LT is @funkyhorse , who, amongst his plants got a more narrow leaf style pheno. Not sure what else he got from those seeds. if he sees this he may chime in .

@Jahaze test grew 4 of my LT S1s and got a great set of plants from them. Jahaze likes heady weed but his 'keeper' afaik was actually the shortest, more 'indica' looking plant. This leads me to believe that the effects of LT are not related to the wider/narrower leaf plant structure ? i may be wrong about that though.
Basically LT high seems to have very little or zero bodystone and is nearly all 'head' .. but along with the clear, euphoric energy, it does also have a calm, composed quality to the high which is good for stress and tension imo.

VG

Last edited:

funkyhorse

I leave you all the pics I have with Lemon Thai
I need to dig them from an old laptop not in good shape
I sprouted 5 seeds. I have 2 boys and 3 girls
These are the 2 boys
Male 1
Lemon Thai Male 1.jpeg

Male 2
Lemon Thai male 2.jpeg

Female 2
Lemon thai female 2.jpeg

Female 3
Lemon thai female 3.jpeg

Female 1 is the stretchy pheno, I am not sure I will see this pheno pop up again
First pic is at 48 days
Lemon thai 1@ day 48.jpeg
Lemon thai 1.jpeg
Lemon thai 1 another view.jpeg

This is in veg
lemon thai (2).jpeg
lemon thai (3).jpeg

Attachments

• Lemon thai 2.jpeg
    Lemon thai 2.jpeg
    173.7 KB · Views: 57

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks @funkyhorse , the pics of the pure LT plants are useful as they show the change from wide leaves to narrower leaves as they mature... and your 'stretchy' pheno doesn't really look any different when young.
It sounds like that was the one you used in all your crosses and have had intersex issues with them.. perhaps due to the LT... .
This makes me value my tried and tested Bodhi LT even more - because it wasn't even easy to reverse it chemically to get pollen, and both its Selfs and its crosses have no reports of intersex traits as yet.
VG