What's new

Legalized marijuana: How will states prevent teen drug use?

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Inject the kids with a vaccine that disables the cannabinoid receptors in their tender developing brains. Monsanto please invent it for the children!

This is not even an argument to be having. It is known from Portugal and Holland that pot use in teens goes down as the illicit thrill is less when it is legal for adults.

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
Now even I got confused this morning. LOL

HB707, I thought you were replying to BBCT above. But anyway you should re-read the second sentence in soil margin's post.

Yeah I read his post I just thought I would throw my 2 cents in .. I am absolutely certain that teens don't listen to adults .I didn't and I don't know many friends that did either. I have had this argument before and I am always surprised at how uneducated parents seem to be with the effects of alcohol and how alcohol is okay but cannabis isn't and I believe the reasoning for early use of cannabis is not wanting to turn psychotic when you get older which is pretty broad in definition to say the lest stay frosty headband 707:biggrin:

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
I believe the reasoning for early use of cannabis is not wanting to turn psychotic when you get older which is pretty broad in definition to say the lest stay frosty headband 707:biggrin:

The idea is to wait until the brain has matured. There is some evidence that early use can promote anxiety disorders. There was an experiment with mice done at the University of Montreal I believe. Mice were dropped into and forced to swim across a pool of water... four groups ... young and old, loaded with THC and straight. Then let the youngsters mature, and everybody got to do it again while straight. After the second trial everybody was doing fine except for the previously dosed youngsters who showed a significant anxiety response. Fucking NORMAL did a press release which only described the portion of the experiment with the older mice. Of course this was done with synthetic THC which none of use would consider touching.

Thing is, the prohibitionists have spread so many untruths in their propaganda campaign that nobody believes a thing they say anymore. Kids aren't going to accept anything an adult authority figure says about this. Prohibitionists and their outright lies have put us in this place. They only have themselves to blame, that is assuming that they could actually be self aware. We're just going to have to legalize and see what happens.

Once legal, then many research institutions will be able to conduct their studies, not just those with an agenda and govt funding. When legal the allure of forbidden fruit will be diminished. Kids observe their older stoner siblings and can decide for themselves if they want any part of it. Eventually the complete truth will be revealed to everyone who isn't in denial. But no matter what is revealed, the negatives of cannabis consumption will never be able to compete with the damage the drug war has done to individuals, families, and our society.

fwiw I smoked a lot of grass from 13-16 and I do believe it had a negative impact on my neurological well-being. Anecdotal as it gets, but there it is.

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
fwiw I smoked a lot of grass from 13-16 and I do believe it had a negative impact on my neurological well-being. Anecdotal as it gets, but there it is.

what of tobacco? and alcohol? ever use those?
sopers? placidil? qualludes? lsd? psilocybin? reds? yellow jackets? blacks? whitecross? glue or gas huffing?...???

yabetter cross those off first before blaming cannabis. if your neurological well-being was impacted you were already damaged.

cannabis don't make yas crazy...ffs. it is medicine. it mediates cell fuction...in other words, it makes your cells healthy...not the opposite.

cannabis is benevolent and benign, not so your anecdote.:ying:

Easy7

Veteran
There are a lot of people that believe the myths, such as all drugs kill brain cells. Cannabis actually promotes nuerogenisis, the regrowth of nuerons....and protects nuerons.......but people don't care, it's against their backwoods corn fed diet.

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
Yeah I have heard this and I would really love to believe what I am told about cannabis from the scientific community but I just don't believe them anymore and seeing as though most if not all my friends smoked pot at a pretty young age I really DON'T believe the shit this corrupt Gov throws out about cannabis . Not only are ALL the so-called experiments leaning towards whatever bad they can find. How much cannabis did they give to the mice ? Mice are not men ,,well maybe sometimes lol..I absolutely take anything said about cannabis with a grain of salt. I believe what I know for a fact in my own life and this is not what the Gov says,,, not even close. As a teen I listened even less and I'm glad I did...Stay frosty headband 707:biggrin:

The idea is to wait until the brain has matured. There is some evidence that early use can promote anxiety disorders. There was an experiment with mice done at the University of Montreal I believe. Mice were dropped into and forced to swim across a pool of water... four groups ... young and old, loaded with THC and straight. Then let the youngsters mature, and everybody got to do it again while straight. After the second trial everybody was doing fine except for the previously dosed youngsters who showed a significant anxiety response. Fucking NORMAL did a press release which only described the portion of the experiment with the older mice. Of course this was done with synthetic THC which none of use would consider touching.

Thing is, the prohibitionists have spread so many untruths in their propaganda campaign that nobody believes a thing they say anymore. Kids aren't going to accept anything an adult authority figure says about this. Prohibitionists and their outright lies have put us in this place. They only have themselves to blame, that is assuming that they could actually be self aware. We're just going to have to legalize and see what happens.

Once legal, then many research institutions will be able to conduct their studies, not just those with an agenda and govt funding. When legal the allure of forbidden fruit will be diminished. Kids observe their older stoner siblings and can decide for themselves if they want any part of it. Eventually the complete truth will be revealed to everyone who isn't in denial. But no matter what is revealed, the negatives of cannabis consumption will never be able to compete with the damage the drug war has done to individuals, families, and our society.

Eighths-n-Aces

Veteran
only in a country where they sell crawling helmets .......

article-0-129637C4000005DC-120_468x438.jpg

could anyone believe that they will actually be able to keep dangerous things out of the hands of teenagers!

it is a teenagers JOB to push limits and "play with fire" !!!

BUT !!!! i remember it being a hell of a lot of fun! and i had friends who are now "statistics" because shit happens and no amount of regulation, information,or pussifacation is going to effectively protect us from ourselves at any age

ydijadoit

Agreed on the government BS. Too much crying wolf has obscured any possible, real risks, in a sea of disinformation.
I had my first panic attack, the first time I smoked pot, at 14 years old. Did pot cause it? In my opinion, yes, and also no.
I have a family history of pretty severe bipolar on my Father's side. He never touched pot in his life, or any other illicit drug for that matter. He had panic attacks off and on for most of his life.
They called it "Stress", or "Anxiety" in the 70's, and I recall he took small amounts of Valium for it.
I believe I would have experienced these attacks anyway. I also believe I might have gone many more years without one, had I not smoked at a young age.
For those lucky souls that have never had a panic attack, you can't understand it, and I envy you.
I have faced death square in the eye, many times, (Flying ultralights, racing motorcycles, etc.) and I can promise you, It's not as scary as a panic attack.
Once you have felt that level of terror, it can easily become a self fulfilling prophecy.
The fear of that feeling would set off another episode.
I suffered with these attacks for years, and through dozens of antidepressants.
I have not had a sober panic attack since I started smoking daily.
If I smoke too much, even after 27 years of off-on toking, and 4 years of daily, or almost so, I will panic, freak out, think I'm dying, etc. That is a demon I can live with. Take it slow, and don't step "one toke over the line"
I average one fuck up per year, or so...
Keeps me honest.
It really boils down to the "Chicken or the egg" debate, with no easy answer.
I believe pot opened a door, that let me experience panic for the first time. Judging by my documented family history, I also believe it was just a matter of time.
I used pot at that age to try to get some relief from the mental misery I lived with.
It bit me in the ass, the first time, but, all these years later, it holds the cure as well.
Regards

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
Reading countless descriptions of people's relationship with cannabis it becomes quite obvious that different individuals react differently to the stuff. Just look at this site with different people liking different strains and seeking different effects. After repeatedly reading how great Sensi Star was, I grew some plants and found it to be one of my least favorite strains. Kept growing the plants different ways wondering if I was doing something wrong ... Nope. Different people enjoy different experiences. And what you experience isn't necessarily what others will experience.

If toking as a youth robbed you of 5% of your potential there is no way that you'll ever be able to verify or falsify that fact. If one out of every 1,000 people have a profoundly negative reaction, the enthusiastic positive testimony of the other 999 does not negate the truth of that fact. Brain scan technology will eventually provide a lot of answers.

And in all of this, the horrors of prohibition have done immeasurable harm to countless individuals, families, and our society. Legalize cannabis now and bring this all out in the open for people to make their own informed decisions about their own lives.

bombadil.360

Andinismo Hierbatero
Veteran
imo, as long as no legit business sells to underage individuals, then teens can only get it through black market, and that is already out of the hands and even responsibility of legit businesses.

that's a parental issue and leo issue.

if teens get it, it cannot, or shouldn't affect the legality of the herb in those states.

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I believed all the bad things they taught us about weed in high school. Looking back, I'm glad I waited until I was 21 to try it. I wouldn't have been responsible with it at 14 or 15. I'm sure the kids who do get high at that age are better off than if they were drinking.

Growcephus

Veteran
"States" don't stop drug use.

Never have, never will.

WE, collectively, need to fucking STOP believing the g'damn "state" can solve the problems of society, as they are one of THE primary CAUSES of our troubles.

Behavior selection starts with PARENTS and education. REAL education, not the absolute LIES pawned on kids by the "state".

The "state" can't even maintain infrastructure properly, or even balance a g'damn budget, let alone "solving" social issues.

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
It might be a good idea for you to look at the video I posted about "THC and CBD intervenus experiments" this might better explain your panic attack.

http://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=s...pe=670416&p=THC and CBD intervenus experiment

Agreed on the government BS. Too much crying wolf has obscured any possible, real risks, in a sea of disinformation.
I had my first panic attack, the first time I smoked pot, at 14 years old. Did pot cause it? In my opinion, yes, and also no.
I have a family history of pretty severe bipolar on my Father's side. He never touched pot in his life, or any other illicit drug for that matter. He had panic attacks off and on for most of his life.
They called it "Stress", or "Anxiety" in the 70's, and I recall he took small amounts of Valium for it.
I believe I would have experienced these attacks anyway. I also believe I might have gone many more years without one, had I not smoked at a young age.
For those lucky souls that have never had a panic attack, you can't understand it, and I envy you.
I have faced death square in the eye, many times, (Flying ultralights, racing motorcycles, etc.) and I can promise you, It's not as scary as a panic attack.
Once you have felt that level of terror, it can easily become a self fulfilling prophecy.
The fear of that feeling would set off another episode.
I suffered with these attacks for years, and through dozens of antidepressants.
I have not had a sober panic attack since I started smoking daily.
If I smoke too much, even after 27 years of off-on toking, and 4 years of daily, or almost so, I will panic, freak out, think I'm dying, etc. That is a demon I can live with. Take it slow, and don't step "one toke over the line"
I average one fuck up per year, or so...
Keeps me honest.
It really boils down to the "Chicken or the egg" debate, with no easy answer.
I believe pot opened a door, that let me experience panic for the first time. Judging by my documented family history, I also believe it was just a matter of time.
I used pot at that age to try to get some relief from the mental misery I lived with.
It bit me in the ass, the first time, but, all these years later, it holds the cure as well.
Regards

ydijadoit

Thanks, Headband.
Kinda fits with my experience. The panic attacks were extremely rare in the 1980's, but with the higher THC/CBD ratio now, I have to tread lightly with some strains.
Sending out a couple I like next month, to a lab. I am curious what the results will show.
Fascinating plant, no matter how you slice it!
Regards