What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

LED Sativa Tree

foaf

Veteran
Two months still to go just beginning to fill in.

So pictures of the dark side of the plant are mostly what I can get. A dark side shot and then I got on a ladder, thrust my arm over the top and took a couple of blind shots on the action side of the plant. It's hard to appreciate because I never took good pictures of the wire screens before things grew over, but they are working out very well. The bottom of the plant has very dense buddage up against the screens. Unlike normal grows, I expect to get good weight from the plant bottom. She is huge and sprawling and has good fomation all the way up the height.

Wow that looks great. Starting to re-think LED

They can produce some good results as witnessed in the odd thread online, however I find it difficult to justify the cost. For half the cost of a comparable LED you could have a HID, Cool Tube, Carbon Filter, Fan and still have heaps of change.

flat3ric

yeah I have 2 400w digital ballasts for 2 plants :) LED just seems like a nice way to veg plants if only the cost of the lights could come down.

foaf

Veteran
however I find it difficult to justify the cost.

I'm sure that will change soon. The LEDs that I have cost about $1 per watt. Of course still much more than an HID with air cooling. My technique of milking the most pot out of a confined space requires the light to be spread out over a large surface, so I would have to use multiple 400 watt HIDs or 250 watters to cover the same area, and even then I think I would want to water cool them, and once you do that and replace about 6 bulbs in the lifespan of the LEDs, its about break even or better for the LEDs now.

thanks for checking in...

tr1ck_

This is great, I hope everything continues on pace and you should have an amazing harvest!

What is the most you have gotten out of your space in the past?

foaf

Veteran
Harvest time was 120 days, which was about July 1

I tried to turn it around on its wheels for pictures of the bud side, but it was all tied up in 50 places and when I cut the ties down, it just collapsed into a huge bud heap. The limbs weren't even close to being strong enough to support the plant.

The weight was 3.2 lbs, a good bit more than I expected. It wasn't cleaned as thoroughly as I usually do, but all of the fan leaves and much of the small leaf was removed, so it might represent a bit less real weight.

Most of the weight was near the bottom, more well formed buds and more typical architecture. The bud is tasting great now that its curing. It had a grapefruit taste when first dried, but that has faded with some curing. Not as licorice tasting as the ssh or a durban, but in that direction. Maybe even piney at times too. I like it a lot.

The tops of the plant really filled up with a large volume of very small branchings covered in looser buds and very few leaves. It had a funny structure near the top that I didn't like. The last picture is one of the many tops near the HPS. Kind of a dreadlock of less formed buds and foxtailing. To clean these I just let them get too dry after getting the leaves off, and just crumbled it up with gloves on for hashoil, but it amounted to a good weight of now powdery bud material.

GP73LPC

Strain Collector/Seed Junkie/Landrace Accumulator/
Veteran
interesting thread foaf, very nice yield too...

thanks for sharing. :good:

localhero

Wow, really glad someone did this, great work Foaf! Im not personally a fan of the leds, but prefaced with the idea of growing the most in a really confined space, pretty rad. i wonder what the outcome would be with a tighter nugged indica?

foaf

Veteran
thanks for checking..

We'll see about the indica. I'm about to sprout some Serious Seeds White Russian for the next tree. Planning on keeping it relatively small if I can control myself.

downeasta

Teresa,

If you have a moment I have some questions about a tree project that I want to do, I was told that you would be a great potential resource for questions about trees indoors.

If it's not to much trouble could you look at the thread that I have, and let me know if you think it's possible to do such a project?

Regards

Downeasta

Latest posts

Latest posts