What's new

LED Retailers...

Sativa Dragon

Veteran
Ballast was turned down

Ballast was turned down

So double the wattage and you are surprised at the yield difference?

Lights will not change terpines/taste either...

It's funny how different the story is when details come out.

Actually I was rusty on the details I had my ballast turned down to 50% which is 500watts, do to heat issues at the time the AC wasn't working so it was actually the same wattages, same soil, same environment etc etc..

Prolly a cheap Chinese fixture, if it is the case I would advise avoid the Chinese fixtures because they are not much good at growing cannabis, compared to what I have done with HID's the evidence is bin and gone and all the final product is in the garbage for lack of a better term.

Peace

Sativa Dragon

Veteran
yeah ive wanted a short 'bar' type light for a while and the sol2 kind of fits the bill.
the multi wavelength 50W diode sounds pretty cool, as do the square reflectors.

i'll get you a wattage from the wall when it arrives

VG

Wow! I looked up the SOL2 it looks way different from the one I bought but $430. is a little steep for 100watts isn't it?

Peace

Highlighter

ring that bell
ICMag Donor
Veteran
$430. is a little steep for 200watts isn't it?

I don't think so for LED's. It's an investment purchase. My CLW 'Solar Flare' 200w (160w draw) was a little under that, and my ProGrow 260 (200w draw) was just over $400.

You get what you pay for. :2cents:

GP73LPC

Strain Collector/Seed Junkie/Landrace Accumulator/
Veteran
Why did you call me a hater?

this

All I can say is that, LED's may be the future but they have a terribly long road ahead when it comes to growing cannabis as effectively as the HPS MH.

LED's just can't beat the weight and density and essential oil profile that the HID bulbs provide. They may be close but not equal.

in the right hands LEDS out perform HPS watt to watt. iow, 1000 watts of LEDs will out yield a 1000 watt HPS.

if you weren't intending to hate, then my apologies, but it doesn't sound like you know what your talking about or you're hatin.

Sativa Dragon

Veteran
this

in the right hands LEDS out perform HPS watt to watt. iow, 1000 watts of LEDs will out yield a 1000 watt HPS.

if you weren't intending to hate, then my apologies, but it doesn't sound like you know what your talking about or you're hatin.

Perhaps next time before you jump to calling me a hater perhaps you could take the high road if there are any left in your country.

Besides I easily grow over a pound on one plant under one 600 watt HID Srcogged in a DWC in a 5 x 5 space.

Hard for me to believe there is even an argument for your setup.
I have never heard of anyone growing a pound with 600watts of LED, or 300 watts which should be equal to my 600 or my 1k.

Take the high road next time.

Peace

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
please keep this free of offtopic, trolling and beefs from now on. had to clean some posts, next time it won't be just an warning.

GP73LPC

Veteran
Perhaps next time before you jump to calling me a hater perhaps you could take the high road if there are any left in your country.

Besides I easily grow over a pound on one plant under one 600 watt HID Srcogged in a DWC in a 5 x 5 space.

Hard for me to believe there is even an argument for your setup.
I have never heard of anyone growing a pound with 600watts of LED, or 300 watts which should be equal to my 600 or my 1k.

Take the high road next time.

Peace

go read the links in my sig entitled LEDS - GPW and especially LED 1LB+ grows. Educate yourself man so you don't come off looking silly. btw, you will find that people can get a pound with even under 400 watts of leds, but 400-600 is more common place.

sorry i ruffled your feathers, but i am tired of people saying LEDS can't hang. these days they not only hang with hps, they can blow em away.

please read the the links then come back and talk...

:tiphat:

Sativa Dragon

Veteran
Read one Link found the answer!

Originally Posted by Sgt.Stedenko View Post
Candlepowerforums has debunked the LED vs HPS efficiency long ago.
There's not much difference. Both come in around 25-30%. The rest is wasted heat.

If you think a a HID and an equivalent LED dont generate near the same amount of heat, your kidding yourself.

A 600w LED grow will produce about 450 watts of heat.

^^THIS IS WHAT I MEAN^^

See I am not a hater just trying to say exactly this ^^^ is what I experienced in my Test with LED's

Peace

I will state it once again,

conservation of energy
n.
A principle stating that the total energy of an isolated system remains constant regardless of changes within the system.

A watt in a watt out it might be a gram of weed or heat or spinning cooling fans or whatever, in this case the HID wins.

Peace

Last edited by a moderator:

GP73LPC

Veteran
Read one Link found the answer!

Originally Posted by Sgt.Stedenko View Post
Candlepowerforums has debunked the LED vs HPS efficiency long ago.
There's not much difference. Both come in around 25-30%. The rest is wasted heat.

If you think a a HID and an equivalent LED dont generate near the same amount of heat, your kidding yourself.

A 600w LED grow will produce about 450 watts of heat.

^^THIS IS WHAT I MEAN^^

See I am not a hater just trying to say exactly this ^^^ is what I experienced in my Test with LED's

Peace

you're wrong.

a lot of led arrays have no IR lighting and thus no IR heat. HPS kills the rooms with IR heat.

not to mention all the wasted specturms in hps being wasted but creating heat. no such thing in the led world.

ever seen F.L.I.R. ?

keep trying man :tiphat:

Sativa Dragon

Veteran
I need not keep trying as I have already tried LED and there is no comparison to the HID when it comes to penetration into the canopy, nice tight nugs, a complete complex essential oil / Terpene profile. Been there done it, maybe when I start seeing the real pro's using LED's I will switch but for now I still believe the tech needs to go a long way, and the price definitely needs to come down a lot, and back to the heat, there was more heat in my space with the LED fixture than there ever was with the HID in a cool tube, and I was using the same ventilation system for both tests.
LED weighs like 20 - 30 lbs and has 4 fans and a pile of drivers, and kicks out a lot of heat.

I just can't see the benefit

I rest my case

Peace

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You were apparently using junk. While the overall efficiencies of HID and LED are far more comparable than most of the manufacturers would lead you to believe, the better LEDs do have a significant edge. HPS makes a hell of a lot of light. Unfortunately, a very large portion of it isn't what the plant wants. One of the advantages of LEDs is that you can specifically target the spectrum that the plant wants without burning a bunch of power in areas that it doesn't.

Regarding the heat, the biggest difference is not in the overall btus generated by the fixture. As was pointed out above, HID's have a huge IR component that heats up everything that the light comes into contact with. LEDs, while making nearly the same amount of overall heat, do so without casting heat along with the light. Most of their heat comes out the back, and unfortunately most of them don't lend themselves to easy heat extraction.

DZLHIT

not to mention all the wasted specturms in hps being wasted but creating heat.

While I am in favor, and support, of LED technology... however the HPS wastes less light than people think.

Once the surface of the plants leaves become saturated with red and blue light, the yellow and green light get absorbed inside the leaves inner tissue. At this point yellow and green light play a larger roll in increasing photosynthetic rates than red and blue do (as their absorption is already at max). There is a lot more to this conversation, but this is not the thread for it.

It's still all about photons first and fore most, the plant will do what it wants with them....

That being said, I can show you PAR readings from a 300 watt LED panel that rival most 1k HPS setups...

Rives made a great point about the heat, it is not radiated in every direction. Also, GP7 and the IR comment.

Also, who cares if 1k LED produces similar amounts of heat as 1k HPS... I am not sure that is even true in all cases but...we don't replace HPS with LED at a 1:1 ratio. If you can use 40% less energy to produce similar PPFD, you are also reducing the amount of heat energy in that same space.

Sativa Dragon

Veteran
You were apparently using junk. While the overall efficiencies of HID and LED are far more comparable than most of the manufacturers would lead you to believe, the better LEDs do have a significant edge. HPS makes a hell of a lot of light. Unfortunately, a very large portion of it isn't what the plant wants. One of the advantages of LEDs is that you can specifically target the spectrum that the plant wants without burning a bunch of power in areas that it doesn't.

Regarding the heat, the biggest difference is not in the overall btus generated by the fixture. As was pointed out above, HID's have a huge IR component that heats up everything that the light comes into contact with. LEDs, while making nearly the same amount of overall heat, do so without casting heat along with the light. Most of their heat comes out the back, and unfortunately most of them don't lend themselves to easy heat extraction.

I think I will leave all the DIY experimenting to you fellas until a decent fixture comes out at a comparable price.
I get all the talk about investment etc. etc. I am not there yet, yes my fixture is junk for growing Cannabis that's why it is retired from doing so. Thanks for the heads up, I shall return to my HID's until the technology reaches my expectations.

Peace

GP73LPC

Veteran
I need not keep trying as I have already tried LED and there is no comparison to the HID when it comes to penetration into the canopy, nice tight nugs, a complete complex essential oil / Terpene profile. Been there done it, maybe when I start seeing the real pro's using LED's I will switch but for now I still believe the tech needs to go a long way, and the price definitely needs to come down a lot, and back to the heat, there was more heat in my space with the LED fixture than there ever was with the HID in a cool tube, and I was using the same ventilation system for both tests.
LED weighs like 20 - 30 lbs and has 4 fans and a pile of drivers, and kicks out a lot of heat.

I just can't see the benefit

I rest my case

Peace

some pros are using them. i am not at liberty at this time to mention who, but there are legal commercial operations creating medical products and all their weed is grown by LED.

when the time comes i will be happy to share that information with you. but just so you realize, the pro's have noticed LEDS. :tiphat:

Sativa Dragon

Veteran
some pros are using them. i am not at liberty at this time to mention who, but there are legal commercial operations creating medical products and all their weed is grown by LED.

when the time comes i will be happy to share that information with you. but just so you realize, the pro's have noticed LEDS. :tiphat:

I am prolly behind the cutting edge, thanks for the heads up.

:thank you:

oneshot

I have a big LED head to head grow coming up after this one finishes :) Just finalized the details today.

BlackdogLED Platinum XL-U vs California Lightworks 800W Solarstorm

:)

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yeah ive wanted a short 'bar' type light for a while and the sol2 kind of fits the bill.
the multi wavelength 50W diode sounds pretty cool, as do the square reflectors.

i'll get you a wattage from the wall when it arrives

VG

please let us know watts.

I have a SOL 200 watt. it's got very nice spread. the thing I like is it looks like you can get it nice and low for good intensity ( 3x3 tray for veg ), and be able to light up the sides very nice..

I lost my light meter in a move, and sold my kill-a-watt... also no battery in my camera ( in storage ) so not much fun here.

I looked into making these ourselves. you can buy the chips in different watts online at ali, I guess the company pushing them is called vanq. link here. second thing to find is a reflector, as I opened the sol and ran it without a reflector, yeah bad idea, as the light go everywhere, looks like a 180 degree spread.. so no good, as you do need a reflector if building these..

I bought the SOL, as it's easy to buy a unit, HGL has been good to me, so it was a no brainier, but those interested, you can build these, I found a lens reflector here

Sativa Dragon

Veteran
please let us know watts.

I have a SOL 200 watt. it's got very nice spread. the thing I like is it looks like you can get it nice and low for good intensity ( 3x3 tray for veg ), and be able to light up the sides very nice..

I lost my light meter in a move, and sold my kill-a-watt... also no battery in my camera ( in storage ) so not much fun here.

I looked into making these ourselves. you can buy the chips in different watts online at ali, I guess the company pushing them is called vanq. link here. second thing to find is a reflector, as I opened the sol and ran it without a reflector, yeah bad idea, as the light go everywhere, looks like a 180 degree spread.. so no good, as you do need a reflector if building these..

I bought the SOL, as it's easy to buy a unit, HGL has been good to me, so it was a no brainier, but those interested, you can build these, I found a lens reflector here

After much thought and some discussion here I have decided to give the LED I have a second go, only after seeing some significant Trichs on something nearby, I may have been wrong and disappointed, perhaps I made some mistakes or the genes were shit either way.

Habeeb thank you for inspiring me with the links I am going to go ahead and design and build another LED fixture with some higher wattage LED's.

Peace