What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Led lights still on 5% when timer off

Rocket Soul

OP: this has to do with your timer relay device and the wiring of your house. In AC power installations you have one live and one neutral line. The live line must go into the live line slot of your timer. It seems like this wont happen for you and that line and neutral are switched, either your whole installation or just this output. This means your live line goes into the timer thru its neutral line, which means the relay comes after your lights ndd not before it. As such it wont do a good job cutting the power, there some power leaking thru to the led driver. On euro pluggs you can remedy this by turning the plug 180 degrees. I. Your case you need to reverse the wires; either in your socket or just thru a sturdy extension cord; cut it and switch the wires over, use wagos and secure/water proof etc your splicing. Then try again with the timer on, this will remove the problem.

Rocket Soul

OP: this has to do with your timer relay device and the wiring of your house. In AC power installations you have one live and one neutral line. The live line must go into the live line slot of your timer. It seems like this wont happen for you and that line and neutral are switched, either your whole installation or just this output. This means your live line goes into the timer thru its neutral line, which means the relay comes after your lights ndd not before it. As such it wont do a good job cutting the power, there some power leaking thru to the led driver. On euro pluggs you can remedy this by turning the plug 180 degrees. I. Your case you need to reverse the wires; either in your socket or just thru a sturdy extension cord; cut it and switch the wires over, use wagos and secure/water proof etc your splicing. Then try again with the timer on, this will remove the problem.
Also, if you feel unsure about any of this you should get a pro to do it.

Rastafarout

Premium user
@Rocket Soul yeah I can do the wire swop but that’s not too hard , but I can’t get my head around is how you can just swop it round , and why it’s not the right way round ..but yeah I will try another plug that’s far away , but on another system and not use that outlet

It’s the finding the right pro .. if you don’t know anyone, it’s a no … need to move everything, then there’s no where to move it .. as I’m sure the leccy guy will want to check all the plugs?

Brother Nature

Haha, I know the pain my man... The legality of our hobby and male pride have lead me to some pretty illuminating, though expensive, insights into how electrics work... Sometimes it is better to not learn from experience...

Rastafarout

Premium user
Yeah bro same , you find yourself in some situations … better to have a leccy friend , and yeah you don’t play with power ….

Rocket Soul

@Rocket Soul yeah I can do the wire swop but that’s not too hard , but I can’t get my head around is how you can just swop it round , and why it’s not the right way round ..but yeah I will try another plug that’s far away , but on another system and not use that outlet

It’s the finding the right pro .. if you don’t know anyone, it’s a no … need to move everything, then there’s no where to move it .. as I’m sure the leccy guy will want to check all the plugs?
This seems to pop up on one forum or another every month or so. If your handy you could even do this on an extension cord; open the plug using a screw drivers and reverse the polarity inside the plug. The way you dont have to cut and wago.

hfm

You see it with piggy back lines a lot.Umm (in series wiring).I get a 3 prong plug tester(outlet tester) that tells you what your wall outlet is doing to see if its that.Kind of a handy thing to have in your home anyways.

Rastafarout

Premium user
Okay so I tested different plugs and different lights and only that panel had the problem
I opened it up and there loose wires and two that have been cut really shoddy at the factory..

Is this the problem

IMG_7706.jpeg
IMG_7721.png

Rocket Soul

Its very unlikely this is the source of your problem. Those cables are the dimmer connection, not sure why they are using this setup (4 cables in one) but it only uses the two connected and this circuit doesnt touch main power connection. It only takes very minimal current for control signals to the driver.

The problem is much more likely the main installation of your house. You need to reverse hot and neutral BEFORE it gets to the timer. Alternatively find a way to reverse the timer.

Please, before opening up your light any firther, which could null your warranty, just try an extension cord, cut it and reverse the wires using wagos, and conndct again to the timer: if it loses the night time glow then you know this is the problem and can take whatever action you like to remedy.

Rocket Soul

Thanks mate , so I’m going to try the extension trick now .. so swop brown and blue around ?
Yes, just cut, peel, reverse and secure. Then plug infront of the timer. That way the live wire should line up with the relay that cuts the power. Currently the relay is on the neutral side which means the theres current leaking thru and then grounding, so a minimal light can be seen. Hope it makes sense

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey I had something similar once...
Is your timer a mechanical one? where the time dial is mechanically moving as time passes?
If that's the case, use a digital timer instead. The mechanical ones require a certain current to flow (it moves the dial) and while it's minimal, it's enough to light up the LEDs faintly.
Good luck
CC

Rastafarout

Premium user
Hey I had something similar once...
Is your timer a mechanical one? where the time dial is mechanically moving as time passes?
If that's the case, use a digital timer instead. The mechanical ones require a certain current to flow (it moves the dial) and while it's minimal, it's enough to light up the LEDs faintly.
Good luck
CC
I noticed that because I use a wat o metre and it says 1w .. so that’s feeding the lights same time ?

Latest posts

Latest posts