What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Led lights still on 5% when timer off

Rastafarout

Premium user
I have an HLG 600R , had dimmer problem , wouldn’t dim so got a replacement
Now when the timer is off , I tried a few timers .. the LED panel is still getting power but very little ..
I’m no electrician how is this possible?

IMG_7696.jpeg

Hasch

learning and laughing
I’m not sure what you mean , I cant turn the plug as it’s set in the wall ?
Yes.
At least here our power plugs have just two pins, so turning the plug 180° changes in which hole of the power outlet the respective pins sit.

Am no electrician and at first glance I thought that sounded weird carzy but afaiu it makes in our electrical system here.

Just try it 😊

Last edited:

Rastafarout

Premium user
Thanks bro , we have three pin plugs they only go in a certain way you can’t just turn them
And what’s afaiu?

X15

You can find them for fairly cheap. Like 80 bucks online. You’ll have it for a long time and will pay for itself in anxiety and worry.

Brother Nature

Most likely bad wiring, check your earth/neutral wire first, but also check that your dimmer is a LED specific dimmer, if you're using an incandescent dimmer it will never reach a full "0" on turn down due to the voltage need difference in LED vs. older lights, they will 'leak' power. A 1w power leak won't power something requiring 60w, but if it only requires 5w to illuminate you will see some powering to the diodes from that leak.

X15

They are also known as a light controller. They are mechanical and most will need a main power cord to be wired in. Easy stuff.

Rastafarout

Premium user
@X15 i think I have one need to scratch about ,
@Brother Nature you mean plug side (house wiring) ? Or led fixture ? The led is dimmable from 600 to 0
But the dimmer is working … the problem is when the timer goes off the panel stay lit as per photo above … thanks guys

Brother Nature

Also ensure your lights power source was designed for the voltage provided in your country. E.G. a light designed to be used on US mains (120V+-) can be converted to be used in say, Australia (230v, 240v) but if the driver isn't correct you will also experience these power leaks.

X15

Sounds like a power supply issue. How long is it dim for? The whole time the light is off or just for an hour or so?

Reactions: Rgd

Rastafarout

Premium user
They are also known as a light controller. They are mechanical and most will need a main power cord to be wired in. Easy stuff.
Is that like a multiple power surge thingy .. so like 4 lights can go on at same time ?

Reactions: X15

Brother Nature

@X15 i think I have one need to scratch about ,
@Brother Nature you mean plug side (house wiring) ? Or led fixture ? The led is dimmable from 600 to 0
But the dimmer is working … the problem is when the timer goes off the panel stay lit as per photo above … thanks guys
I was thinking more from the led driver to the earth screw on the unit, I'd assume your wall plugs (house plugs) are properly grounded.

I have had issues in the past where multiple timers, all the mechanical type, failed on LED's for me, the fix was to change the timer to a digital one in that situation.

Rastafarout

Premium user
I’m not sure because I’ve been manually plugging and unplugging now , I will leave it plugged in and see .. you think a different plug outlet better maybe ? I’m going to try both and see .. need to get a decent extension now

Brother Nature

I'd try the basic stuff like that first, check the cabling, the wall port, the things you generally take for granted should work, in my experience the simple things tend to be more problematic than the complex shit as you're less likely to think about them. If you unplugging it from the wall and the light goes straight off, my thoughts are that it's with the other equipment.

Rastafarout

Premium user
Electrician says there is a current leaking to earth somewhere, and to be careful cos neutral could be .. now I’m fecked as I don’t have the “ right “ electrician to suss it out ..