What's new

LED light too strong..

S-V-K

I have built LED light and used 15 and 30 degree lenses.
So moved new plant in and it looks like she doesn't like it.
picture.php

Plant is in new cupboard only 3 days and this brown spots had developed roughly in 24 hour period.

Can 15and 30 degree lenses at the 350mm distance from a plant cause light burn ??

leaf burn starts at the leaf edges, and is even. the leaf will also curl upwards. this looks like thrips or some magnesium lock-out.

S-V-K

leaf burn starts at the leaf edges, and is even. the leaf will also curl upwards. this looks like thrips or some magnesium lock-out.

What is Thrips?

I have added revive+ but my concern is that they went from all green to this state in 24 hours(roughly).

Many thanks for reply

Nader

Veteran
What watt diodes are you using? The optics are the issue most likely... 15 and 30 degrees are too narrow, focusing too many photons in too narrow a beam.. try a 60 or 90 degree lens instead

alkalien

I'd vote for LED burn :)

You will need to move those lights away from the plants to see if it stops getting worse and your internodial space is extremly tight. I found that this can reduce harvest.

A little more Mg could be of use too, LED plants tend to like it.

What spec, and what brand diodes are you using... There are no reports for the plant you wish to grow... Im testesting many diffrent leds and I have found that the plant needs all the 400 and forsure the 600 for flower.... Im currently trying to find out witch spect oes what.. the plant requires a far red, blue and a toych of white to flower and i dont know why

S-V-K

Well it is getting worst :-/
Problem is that I have only 30 degree lenses so I can swap all 15 degree ones for 30 degree ones or don't use any at that small space ?
My cab is 300mm x 250mm x 750mm.
I have 5 spectrum light with 100Watts of draw(meassured) the light intensity with lenses is sitting at 15 000 lumens 600mm from a light source.
Is that overkill ??? :-/

Many thanks for help

S-V-K

I'd vote for LED burn :)

You will need to move those lights away from the plants to see if it stops getting worse and your internodial space is extremly tight. I found that this can reduce harvest.

A little more Mg could be of use too, LED plants tend to like it.

I have added Revive=can aid in correcting metallic mineral deficiencies as well as most common nutrient lock out.

Many thanks for help

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If you can get your LED's down pretty close to the plant and still have adequate coverage, I would give that a try with the optics removed. I have been running my hybrid fixture 3"-4" (75-100mm) from the tops of the plants, and it has been working great. I am using Osram Golden Dragon +, which have a 170 degree viewing angle.

I would be very cautious using any lens less than 60 degrees. I have a Lumigrow ES330 fixture, which uses 90 degree lenses and 5 watt LEDs, and it was causing damage at 12" (300mm).

S-V-K

If you can get your LED's down pretty close to the plant and still have adequate coverage, I would give that a try with the optics removed. I have been running my hybrid fixture 3"-4" (75-100mm) from the tops of the plants, and it has been working great. I am using Osram Golden Dragon +, which have a 170 degree viewing angle.

I would be very cautious using any lens less than 60 degrees. I have a Lumigrow ES330 fixture, which uses 90 degree lenses and 5 watt LEDs, and it was causing damage at 12" (300mm).

I have remowed all lenses so fingers cross :)
I'm using just chinese leds with 120 degree angle that's why I have used so narrow lenses. Let's see what sort of penetration they will have without lenses.
Would 90 degree lenses work in my small cab ???

Many thanks for help

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
sounds ike your cab is not tall enough to use 15 degree lenses. really for micro grows somewhere like 90 degrees or a bit less is about right. the distance you need between between your light and canopy is a big consideration.

phaeton your lights with the X-lenses are not 60 degrees, HGL dont publish the actual angle but its between 70 and 90 i think.

VG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hmm, i havent done any measuring, but in my cabs found the angle/light spread to be wider than their old 60 degree lenses and narrower than the 90 degree custom light i had them build for me. which was confirmed by cammie when i spoke to her about it.
whatever it is i like it - seems to throw a lot of light down yet still have a reasonable sized footprint.

sx646522

Well it is getting worst :-/
Problem is that I have only 30 degree lenses so I can swap all 15 degree ones for 30 degree ones or don't use any at that small space ?
My cab is 300mm x 250mm x 750mm.
I have 5 spectrum light with 100Watts of draw(meassured) the light intensity with lenses is sitting at 15 000 lumens 600mm from a light source.
Is that overkill ??? :-/

Many thanks for help

... 100w of LEDs in 0.81 sq ft of space? :noway: :bashhead:

Jesus Christ man. You're a friggin' maniac! :nono: :eek:

You might want to read What I Told Hazydreams about a year and a half ago regarding oversaturation and photoinhibition. That was on a HPS grow, but what I said still applies rather well to yours, also.

----

If you've got even moderately good LEDs and bins in that Chinese wonder o' yours, you need no more than 40w per square foot.

With high-end Osram and CREE, that number is closer to ~20-25 w/s.f., at nominal distances.

-SX

S-V-K

... 100w of LEDs in 0.81 sq ft of space? :noway: :bashhead:

Jesus Christ man. You're a friggin' maniac! :nono: :eek:

You might want to read What I Told Hazydreams about a year and a half ago regarding oversaturation and photoinhibition. That was on a HPS grow, but what I said still applies rather well to yours, also.

----

If you've got even moderately good LEDs and bins in that Chinese wonder o' yours, you need no more than 40w per square foot.

With high-end Osram and CREE, that number is closer to ~20-25 w/s.f., at nominal distances.

-SX

She is not growing at all ;-(
I mean plant is still same after like 4 days(so far I'm atributing it to weak clone,she didn't do great under cfl).
What should I do ????
I have invested over 400£ and countless amount of hours to make that light.I'm dissapointed so far.

S-V-K

Just thinking here: I can cover half of rhe LED with a piece of metal and when she will be older I can uncover them.Is that going to work or I'm an idiot ? ;-)

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
why not supply a smaller amount of power to the panel? and it will make your leds more durable.

alkalien

I see your problem and feel your pain, spending so much energy on the light it is very upsetting when it won't run as plannend.

I found that there is a "dead zone" directly under the light, about 6 to 8 cm from the light. Since I was running less power than you are, I'm sure this zone reaches a bit more down. Below, let's say 10cm, the plant should grow fine.

I'd love to help as good as I can but will have to get few more details. Did you flush your medium? Are you using any fertilizers?

S-V-K

I see your problem and feel your pain, spending so much energy on the light it is very upsetting when it won't run as plannend.

I found that there is a "dead zone" directly under the light, about 6 to 8 cm from the light. Since I was running less power than you are, I'm sure this zone reaches a bit more down. Below, let's say 10cm, the plant should grow fine.

I'd love to help as good as I can but will have to get few more details. Did you flush your medium? Are you using any fertilizers?

I have covered roughly half of LEDs so fingers cross.
Distance between light and plant is roughly 350mm-I'm growing in DWC with Canna Aqua nutes.
400 L/h air pump connected to 2 air curtains.
Roots are white and healthy, leaves are healthy without any marks,dots or signs of deficiencies.
PPM- 650
PH- 5.8-6.0
Water temp: 19-20 degrees
Additives: 1.8ml of root excelerator, 10ml of revive, 15ml Cannazyme.

Any suggestions ??? :)

Many thanks for help

Latest posts

Latest posts