What's new

LED Lab 2009

Weezard

Hawaiian Inebriatti
Veteran
1000 words

1000 words

Well, you're doing something right, brah.
Just looked at your gallery. Nice.
Is that the array that grew those fine looking bluish buds?

Props!

Weeze

bf74

Props!

Weeze
thank you, thank you. I believe the buds you are reffering to were grown with the first 220w system. I cant believe tomorrow is only 34 days in flower. I believe Mr BOfin has stated deep reds not only stimulate trichs, they also hasten maturation.What are your thoughts on this?

Weezard

Hawaiian Inebriatti
Veteran
Hola, Knna!

Hola, Knna!

thank you, thank you. I believe the buds you are reffering to were grown with the first 220w system. I cant believe tomorrow is only 34 days in flower. I believe Mr BOfin has stated deep reds not only stimulate trichs, they also hasten maturation.What are your thoughts on this?

Too soon to tell, on my present grow, BF.
Can't say if it sped up the last grow, 'cause I lost track of time.
(That says something for the potency, yah?):kos:

You are welcome.
But that message was pointed at Knna.

He has some excellent snaps in the forum gallery.
The buds are a lovely slate blue.
It also applies to your girls, but have a look at Knna's.
I was asking him if they were grown under his led array.
How about dat Knna?
Led, or no?
If so, please give some details.

indifferent

Veteran
My new CREE array, it has 30 x red XRs, 10 x cool white XREs and 3 x Prolight UVs, all running at 700Ma. Sadly, one of the UVs has died, as has one of the cool whites, but I will replace those soon enough. It uses 3 x 25W 700mA drivers plus a 9W 700mA driver for the 3 UVs, so it uses 84W. I wil ladd 6 more UVs when I have more money.

Attachments

• 50W CREE Array 006.jpg
    50W CREE Array 006.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 18

bf74

My new CREE array, it has 30 x red XRs, 10 x cool white XREs and 3 x Prolight UVs, all running at 700Ma. Sadly, one of the UVs has died, as has one of the cool whites, but I will replace those soon enough. It uses 3 x 25W 700mA drivers plus a 9W 700mA driver for the 3 UVs, so it uses 84W. I wil ladd 6 more UVs when I have more money.
I just started messing with uvb-the theory is new to me-does uv have the same effects?Nice set-up btw.

knna

Props!

Weeze

Nope. Those 2 girls grew below 2 55w PLLs (remote ballasted CFLs).

But i hope this new array beat them using less watts. But im not going to use this array now, im going to build some experimental arrays and perform a controlled grow using very different spectrum qualities, aprox RGB 60/20/20, 40/40/20, 40/20/40, 20/20/60 (percentages of PAR watts), using same irradiances and average light density levels. The array shown is going to be placed on the local grow shop.

I believe currently still the best cost effective way of growing in micro cabs is using PLLs plus red LEDs.

When i finish the experimental grow, ill build a vertical system with floro tubes and red LEDs (and some blues). I put my hopes on that setup, with a minimun target of 2 g/w. A friend is already doing it. I think it will be finished next week, so ill link it then.

UVB or just a lot of blue, i dont know if it has to be uv exactly to get the "stoney" trichs, could just be more blue, that will have to be determined. Heres some led trichs with no uv. Betcha I'm gone get stoned! Imagine what week 8/9 will look like, ill post.
picture.php

indifferent

Veteran
I included the UV LEDs because I have found that extra light in the 390-410nm range increases taste and smell, nothing to do with resin production.

bf74

UVB or just a lot of blue, i dont know if it has to be uv exactly to get the "stoney" trichs, could just be more blue, that will have to be determined. Heres some led trichs with no uv. Betcha I'm gone get stoned! Imagine what week 8/9 will look like, ill post.
picture.php
What do you think about the theory that uvb makes the plant kick in survival mode and throw out more protective, or in our case- inebriating, trichomes?

indifferent

Veteran
What do you think about the theory that uvb makes the plant kick in survival mode and throw out more protective, or in our case- inebriating, trichomes?

I thought that had been debunked now? Raphael Mechoulam got I think, 15% of CBD acids to convert into THC acid by exposing it to 285nm UV, but I don't think UV plays and role in trichome production, if it did, then plants grown indoors under lights would not have many trichomes as the quartz glass envelopes of lamps blocks UV.

bf74

I thought that had been debunked now? Raphael Mechoulam got I think, 15% of CBD acids to convert into THC acid by exposing it to 285nm UV, but I don't think UV plays and role in trichome production, if it did, then plants grown indoors under lights would not have many trichomes as the quartz glass envelopes of lamps blocks UV.
makes perfect sense, from what I understand hps puts out hardly any uv-and I cant complain about the buds grown under them. Have you heard that deep reds may boost trichs? I read a thread about it on planet skunk.I'll see if I can get the link. peace

N

nekoloving

so what's the highest wattage lights available in useful frequencies? still the 15w? also i've been wondering about something...

lets say that your growing in a hypothetical small space, and are going to take a little time to lst or so. why not arrange your LED's as the plant grows in a reverse x-mass tree over the plant? trying to keep the lights close in all directions? perhaps a bunch of hoops or so different sizes, or an adjustable strip?

this concept to me seems to be the biggest thing I've not seen considered to date. i was thinking about [for instance] the high-pod:

44441flow_Large_-thumb.JPG

now just imagine if those lights at the top came together like the rods in a tee pee [hehe] - SURELY the yield suffered a measurable percentage in yield for lack of this? now imagine how perfect yall could get placement using lst [bushy] - back to teh medz :woohoo:

p.s. i think that was my way of saying LED+TREE :>

bf74

good thinking

good thinking

so what's the highest wattage lights available in useful frequencies? still the 15w? also i've been wondering about something...

lets say that your growing in a hypothetical small space, and are going to take a little time to lst or so. why not arrange your LED's as the plant grows in a reverse x-mass tree over the plant? trying to keep the lights close in all directions? perhaps a bunch of hoops or so different sizes, or an adjustable strip?

this concept to me seems to be the biggest thing I've not seen considered to date. i was thinking about [for instance] the high-pod:

44441flow_Large_-thumb.JPG

now just imagine if those lights at the top came together like the rods in a tee pee [hehe] - SURELY the yield suffered a measurable percentage in yield for lack of this? now imagine how perfect yall could get placement using lst [bushy] - back to teh medz :woohoo:

p.s. i think that was my way of saying LED+TREE :>
I did something kinda similar w/ the ufo-satellite fixture- it basically fits around the outside diameter of the ufo with the bulbs sticking down into the canopy-this produced nice thick tops, to my happy suprise, The 45w side panels handled the mid-lower canopy beautifully. But it would be very interesting to see your theory in action. No doubt it would work, the closer you get the lights to these plants the better they work. peace

knna

nekoloving, if you look at the pics i posted of my LED lamp, you can see its built that way. Each bar module is 50cm long (same that the PLLs of the high pod) and can hold up to 10W of LEDs. Any bar may be placed at any position, horizontal on top or vertical on sides.

AFAIK, there is no any commercial LED lamp arranged that way, except for replacements of fluorescent tubes that arnt designed for growing plants.

All you need to do such lamp is LEDs, their drivers, some kapton tape, adhesive, an aluminium bar, a solder and a free afternoon :joint:

E

elmanito

Nice thread about the LED light, although to much red is used according to this
schedule of the agricultural university of Wageningen

picture.php

Translation
Golflengte = wavelength
blauw=blue
rood=red
verrood=farred
bloei korte dagplanten=flower shortday plants
stimulerend=stimulating