What's new

LED GROW TEST. 126W hydro grow led VS. 180W pro source LED LIGHT

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

irishboy

i dont see how the taller plant gave the 180w an advantage? both lights were the same hight. and when i said my big plant was some of the best meds i have grown i meant a potency strain, not yield, just wanted to clear that up. it has that crazy skunk smell and lots of resin from that snow Strom ultra i added. so i wasn't talking about the best plant being in yield, just the strain in its resin production and smeel.

i realy dont care what light wins or what light anyone buys, its not my money, so its not my worries. i just did a test and kept the lights at the same hight, not going to tie anything down because i wanted to make the test equal on both sides. i dont understand how the taller plant made a diff? the light was still 12" from the shortest plant. if anything the taller plant got more help by being so close to the light. either way i dont care what anyone buys, and if they dont think my test is fair. but in order for people to just now come out and say its not fair is silly since its all ready a done deal, should have sad that eirlyer in the grow, instead of at the last min. IMO
lets just wait and see what the dry weight is and that will tell us everything we need to know.
Peace

MeanBean

i realy dont care what light wins or what light anyone buys, its not my money, so its not my worries.
Peace

It's a never ending battle Irish. As long as were having fun doing the grows ourselfs who really cares.

I just back HGL cause I know thier shit works! at least better than any other I have seen.

I'd like to see you do another test for sure! I am gonna try and get my grow sponserd by HGL next time around , hopefully get a 126 Penatrator 2nd gen half off for sharing my journeys!

Buuut I still got buying a new LED in mind "and cleard by my GF"! If I can second Penatrator now I can hold out for the 354 Watt beast! that is, later after we get settled into our new pad.

You know that things gonna be a Ripper!!

I

irishboy

It's a never ending battle Irish. As long as were having fun doing the grows ourselfs who really cares.

I just back HGL cause I know thier shit works! at least better than any other I have seen.

I'd like to see you do another test for sure! I am gonna try and get my grow sponserd by HGL next time around , hopefully get a 126 Penatrator 2nd gen half off for sharing my journeys!

Buuut I still got buying a new LED in mind "and cleard by my GF"! If I can second Penatrator now I can hold out for the 354 Watt beast! that is, later after we get settled into our new pad.

You know that things gonna be a Ripper!!

cool deal bro i will be watching ur grows and wish you the best of luck.
as far as onther test i am good for now.
1. its a big pain in the ass.
2. i am going to only use high watt leds from now on. 600w+.

MeanBean

That Sounds Fun! What brand?

Yeah I mean even if LED can Compete watt for watt their still a better deal cause they don't wear out for years and there's no heat issues and stress!

Actually therer's more reasons too...

I

irishboy

That Sounds Fun! What brand?

Yeah I mean even if LED can Compete watt for watt their still a better deal cause they don't wear out for years and there's no heat issues and stress!

Actually therer's more reasons too...

ya but to be honest even if they do last 10yrs. they will be way outed by that time because of new tech.
plus the extra yield would pay for the extra HID bulbs in yild and heat.
plus if you have a good vent system the HID will be good on the heat.

i understand what u are saying and i am not trying to go against the grain, but i just wanted to show some facts.

i think leds are a good way to go from micro growers, who have small areas. but for full size room i dont think they are. just MO.

MeanBean

Yeah 10 years is a stretch, but even like 3-5 solid years, that's cool. How many replament bulbs would that be with a HID??

I mean I got a 120 Watt panel from HTG Supply, doesn’t flower well but even that thing can veg like 4 plants very well with tight nodes!

Even after the next best thing comes out, I can still make killer vegged plants with this thing for 10 years instead of buying new bulbs for that project and my flower chamber. I can keep up with the newer tech of LED flower cause I only got buy one thing once. It usually cost less than what one harvest is worth, requires no replacment bulbs, and uses less electric.

Heck I am thinking about how I can clone some of my bushes at my crib instead of buying them LOL!!

I

irishboy

Yeah 10 years is a stretch, but even like 3-5 solid years, that's cool. How many replament bulbs would that be with a HID??

I mean I got a 120 Watt panel from HTG Supply, doesn’t flower well but even that thing can veg like 4 plants very well with tight nodes!

Even after the next best thing comes out, I can still make killer vegged plants with this thing for 10 years instead of buying new bulbs for that project and my flower chamber. I can keep up with the newer tech of LED flower cause I only got buy one thing once. It usually cost less than what one harvest is worth, requires no replacment bulbs, and uses less electric.

Heck I am thinking about how I can clone some of my bushes at my crib instead of buying them LOL!!

i see your point. leds do work good for veg and will save you money in time with vegging. but not flowering.
allot of people use HPS all the way threw the grow and still get great yield.

but i understand you point and the situation ur in. leds are best for ur grow. but not best for a big grow. it would be cheaper and better to use a 600w-1000w hps threw the whole grow. bigger foot print and more buds.
leds do have their place in growing, shit a few years ago leds couldn't really even flower that good. now things are getting their. just think they need a few more years from what i have seen.

i cant wait until i see low watt leds beat HPS. i will be a very happy man. i don't care who is the first company who dose this, as long as it happens.

but as of now i believe leds cant beat hps with less watts. i am not saying they wont i just haven't seen it yet.

the less heat thing is very cool on the leds. you can save allot of co2 because of the vent fans not running as much.

if you not looking for crazy big yield then led are perfect, just depends on how much you smoke. one thing that can be a huge plus is if leds make stronger meds then HID. even if you get less yield your still ok because the buds are stronger and u need to smoke less. so if thats true then thats a big plus in my book.

making ur own clones is the best way to go and same money. its easy to do. shit you can go on you tube and see how to do it if you dont know how.

MeanBean

Yup! I guess we're right back where we started; it's a never ending battle...

One thing’s for sure, were never really going to get solid results, just too many variations out there. Plus the simple fact that one is a Single Source Light and one is not. With HID Creating those head sized buds, LEDS are further away or may never arrive because of that.

We got to adjust our canopies to this!! Everything created for growing and ALL strains were designed for good old sunshine or HPS, HID.. Wait tell we find a strain perfect for LED growing conditions, a plant that eats the stuff up ya know!!! lol

Something like a muscle car and a civic man, Civic can be just as fast.. But there never gonna lay a patch like a v8....

Last edited:
I

irishboy

Yup! I guess we're right back where we started, it's a never ending battle...

One things for sure, were never really going to get solid results, just to many varations out there. Plus the simple fact that one is a Single Source Light and one is not. With LED Creating those head sized buds are far away or may never arrive becasue of that.

We gotta adjust our canopys to this!!

Somthing like a muscle car and a civic man, Civic can be just as fast.. But htere never gonnla lay a patch like a v8....

very true.
i just want led to really work, thats why i have been growing with leds for a year now..lol.

but after seeing my friends grows with HID smoking mine time after time, it was clear to me. when we both used HID i would always yield more then him.

the whole thing with leds are u need more watts then a signal light with low watts has. thats why i am going to step it up with a 600w led light and see what happens, if this dosent work then i am back to HID for sure until i start seeing some crazy yields with leds from a few people. ive already done my time after this next grow it will be over a year i have been using leds.

one thing that makes me happy is led company's are really trying allot harder now then a few years ago to change led growing. this gives me allot of hope. things just get better and better every time a new light comes out. i figure leds are just like computers u can never stay ahead with the best because they keep coming out so fast with new models.

I

irishboy

We Gotta get LED girl to get a Seed Bank Co on one of these led units to find/make an LED Strain!!!

that would be sweet. i have found in my led history that some strains like leds more then others thats for sure. some dont do as good with leds also.

U

unthing

I kinda disagree, lights should be adjusted to plants, not other way around ( those 15 ft tropical sativas being an expection on breeding for indoors). Leds are anyway designed to target the more ideal spectrum for photosynthesis.

Last edited:
I

irishboy

I kinda disagree, lights should be adjusted to plants, not other way around ( those 15 ft tropical sativas being an expection on breeding for indoors). Leds are anyway designed to target the more ideal spectrum for photosynthesis.

i agree 100% for sure. why have a light u cant grow all strains with?
now i am not saying leds cant grow all strains i am just saying what i have seen with my own eyes. and what i believe.

MeanBean

dude the bulb came As Is, I mean it wasn’t even for growing.. We can't except LED's to go beyond that, which I feel they already have.

LEDGirl

Veteran
With HID Creating those head sized buds are far away or may never arrive because of that.

Did you mean LED? Either way, I've never personally seen a head sized cola, but that would be pretty sweet! The images below show one of the largest buds we've grown so far under LED. In order to get results like this though, you'll likely need more than the 21W per square foot that Irish was pushin ;) Also, this plant only had CO2 during the first few weeks of bloom, and none after...

Photo0357.jpg

Photo0355.jpg

U

unthing

Another angle to test strains response to leds could be test unit with dimmers, so you could adjust the spectrum with strains that don't seem to respond as well with certain rations. That of course would take a lot of testing and don't really know if that's really worth it. But I'm just speculating, I don't know.

I

irishboy

Did you mean LED? Either way, I've never personally seen a head sized cola, but that would be pretty sweet! The images below show one of the largest buds we've grown so far under LED. In order to get results like this though, you'll likely need more than the 21W per square foot that Irish was pushin ;) Amazingly enough though, these girls haven't had CO2 in over 4 weeks!

my pint exactly. you need allot more then 21w per squar foot. multiply units is the way to go if you want big yield.

i would like to see a plant in ur garden led girl with no toping and just some lollipoping to see how big you can get the top cola. that would be kinda cool, put all that energy into on big bud.

Status
Not open for further replies.