What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

LED Grow Light Manufacturers

Shafto

My blue Crees are always 2" from my plants. They love 'em and the trichs show it. I do get plant burn if they get within an inch though. They are only 1W diodes though. For higher wattages, different rules apply and there will be more heat due to lack of efficiency. The blues are the only ones I can't hold the back of my hand on. The intensity of the lower wavelength gets hot. There is a greater amount of energy emitted with blues. It is still not a problem in my cabinet in the way of heat. Most of the heat is going out the back of the LED and through the heat sink.

The MCPCB does not have an insulation layer either, at least not all of them, if any. Can you link me to one that has the thermal pad insulated from the rest of the MCPCB?

You don't lose more efficiency with higher water LEDs, as they generally just make the die bigger to accommodate more current. When we're talking about radiometric power turning to heat on a surface out the front of the LED, less efficiency would mean less radiometric power and less heat anyway.

I'm not sure where your misconception about MCPCBs comes from, but they are all insulated, that's the point of a MCPCB, and there would be no possible way to include electrical traces on top if they were not insulated. They're generally 1.5-2mm thick aluminum board, with a 2-3C/W thin electrical insulation layer, then copper on top for the electrical and thermal connections. I've soldered thousands of LEDs onto thousands of different MCPCBs, litterally thousands. There's no such thing as a non-insulated MCPCB, that would defeat the purpose of it's existence.

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
-I grow DJ strains, you can't make them yield very well. first pictured of mine is a F-13, check out other F-13 if you like. here's one under 250 watt, here's another under the sun! point proven, DJ does not yield
-I was running a completely new setup
-I test new things all the time ( nutes, light timing, soil.. )
-plants weren't topped or trained / given long veg time
-I did say I used a 250 watt later on, and even my pics shows that
-I use multiple lights, and am getting what MR.X uses in hopes it crushes my other lights

I hope everyone knows I love what works. If you care to look at my past posts, I have stated that I thought a 300 watt GLH would beat a 330 lumigrow. and I state I like the lumigrow for veg as I can tune it to what watts and control the blue... I never said I loved it for flower... but go ahead and look at my past history to see what other T-5's I run and far red lighting I use...

only thing I'm a fan of is DJ strains,

anyways, whoever posted that link to the lights MR.X use, thanks

Last edited:

SOTF420

Humble Human, Freedom Fighter, Cannabis Lover, Bre
ICMag Donor
Veteran
There are several people running the Lumigrow units here on ICM, they are reliable and very well made LED growlights. For right now I know for a fact they work and grow great buds as well as healthy viable seeds. That is what counts here and it's honest feedback from someone who owns several of them they are very good lights but like anything else in the world there are likely better ones somewhere and likely many inferior ones to them. Much love, be kind in here guys we are all on the same green team :canabis:

Last edited by a moderator:

cjk

please keep this thread on topic. i'm thinking of going with 3 blackdog 200's to veg out my 8x4. i'll report back with results if i pull the trigger.

C

CLOWD11

Not trying to be a stick in the mud cjk, but that light needs excellent heat dissipation to handle 740w worth of 5w diodes, otherwise, the recommended 50,000hour life cycle will be drastically cut. Just saying.

Id measure wattage draw new, and again in six months to see if it degrades.

B

B. Self Reliant

LED's are starting to be a real option for me and I thought we should have a thread to list reputable LED companies for people to research. My mind is a little boggled trying to figure out which company to buy from but I have narrowed it down to four or five companies. Please feel free to add any manufacturers and/or grow diaries that you have witnessed to be successful lights. My findings are ...

Black Dog LED
Lighthouse Hydroponics Blackstar Series (pull less wattage than advertised)
Hydro Grow LED (new series coming out in Aug-Sep '11)
Grow LED Hydro Spectra Series
Lumigrow
StealthGrow (i think i read there utilizing 50 watt led's in their top model)

I'm not at all interested in the argument concerning HydroGrow LED, but if there's going to be a discussion on LED's, then the facts should be out on the table.

HydroGrow LED lights work. I don't know about the numbers she claimed, but the coverage areas stated on their site are accurate. If a lamp is advertised as covering 30"x30", that's what it actually covers. I have personal experience with multiple units of two different models. Their lights grow killer ganj in both veg & flower. I've seen it with my own eyes. My own HGL lamp has paid for itself many times over and the end product is treated exactly the same as I treat my HPS product. My buddy just bought a 4x8 tent and filled it with (5) of their high-priced units and he's having the same results. One run with AK under a SCROG & he was out of the red. They also offer a wide array of products, including a very large variety of shapes that help maximize small spaces. This can be a huge benefit to growers using cabinets, cupboards, micro grow spaces, etc.

Hopefully that helps anyone considering a purchase. I for one plan on purchasing a couple of HGL's new 7"x48" units. I'd like to try the LumiGrow units, but they won't fit in my space. When it comes down to growing a product as valuable as what we grow, I'd rather cringe & pay HGL than not grow the space at all because I can't find LED units that fit properly. If I came to this conclusion after researching it, others might too, and that's why I think HGL at least deserves an honorable mention.

S

sm0k4

You don't lose more efficiency with higher water LEDs, as they generally just make the die bigger to accommodate more current. When we're talking about radiometric power turning to heat on a surface out the front of the LED, less efficiency would mean less radiometric power and less heat anyway.

I'm not sure where your misconception about MCPCBs comes from, but they are all insulated, that's the point of a MCPCB, and there would be no possible way to include electrical traces on top if they were not insulated. They're generally 1.5-2mm thick aluminum board, with a 2-3C/W thin electrical insulation layer, then copper on top for the electrical and thermal connections. I've soldered thousands of LEDs onto thousands of different MCPCBs, litterally thousands. There's no such thing as a non-insulated MCPCB, that would defeat the purpose of it's existence.

Shit, you are right on the MCPCB, I don't know what I was thinking. I wasn't apparently.

Still, a 1W will operate more efficiently than a 3W at the present time. More heat due to wasted energy is the only drawback with using 5W LEDs.

Either way, the discussion is on commercial LED units, which I will never purchase. My apologies.

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I know someone posted the lights MR.X uses.. and I do know he is considered a super excellent growere, even in an area where growers are high...

but check out this video of one of there lights, and you can see it's an older light, and the new ones might have newer LED maybe? but look at at I assume 55 watts to do!! amazing to say the least...

link to page with video

I've got 2 on order, and plan to do some major testing when they get here. my expectations are very high with these units..

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
What happens in the Mod forums, stays in the Mod forums but, I'll risk my badge to this extent; you guys are perilously close to seeing this thread binned and LED discussions banned all together. As in no LED threads at all. Nobody wants that so...

While I have edited several posts here this one time, I will no longer edit on a word for word basis. Posts will be acceptable in their entirety or they will be binned in their entirety.

So, what is acceptable? Anything that follows the Dragnet rule; "Just the facts, Ma'am." This specifically disallows (without limiting itself to) libel, rumor, internet innuendo, alleged e-mails, personal attacks, bickering or personal slams.

You've been warned. I have a semi colon; and I know how to use it. And big blue boxing gloves, too...

We now return to regular programming.

Break a stem. Carry on.
FB

Last edited:

mrwags

********* Female Seeds
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Man talk about ripping off a scab, shit fire man I would have loved to read this stuff b4 it got edited.

To me once the cost come down they might serve a purpose in veg or for some who need total stealth and little heat. Yes they grow bud just like the damn 60 watter you got above your head giving you light to read this screen but what kind of bud is what should be in question. If your telling your self a bud is a bud read my tag line and move on please. The one thing that always bothered me with these led threads was all of most of them were talk talk talk with little pictures. To me that is where the bullshit stops and you make folks say "damn son that's a nice bud."

I will say this tho for a decent one you gotta spend what 500-1000 usd just for the light alone? Hell man for 300.00 I'll set anyone up with a setup that will supply that grower enough bud for him and some friends forever and a day with 700.00 left over to make the wife happy for letting me do it in the first place.

PRIORITIES people if momma not happy NOBODY happy. End of Discussion

My Penny
Mr.Wags

Well I don't know of any 'reputable' LED manufacturers apart from Lumigrow (I fuc&ing wish I had have just shelled out in the start!) but heres a few pics of LEDs from manufacturers who I can only describe as shit kicking f$cksticks. Enjoy laughing at my stupidity, these LED sellers are laughing all the way to the bank and mine is empty!!! I'm sorry but until Lumi can make a 300 for under 1K brand new, not refurbed I'm going to join the Hortilux eye cult...
First and definitely foremost, not only does Cammie have a shocking rep but I can guarantee you that the people in China who make her lights are shitbags aswell! here's what I bought off them

Funny isn't it? how HGL have lights that look exactly the same? just with stickers on them which adds another $500 to their value, damn thems some mighty special stickers!!! can I buy a set to make my 357 work better? because this thing is also a piece of junk...

3 settings on the 357? wow..! is that why it's so expensive? because you can customize it to the period of the grow ie: veg setting and flower setting? Nah ah! they cost sooooo much because like everything else they're just overhyped BS!!! yes my plants are healthy but I'm attributing that to the 2 130W fluoros I have in the tent with the 357. They were all I used last grow and that went just fine thankyou very much!
Seriously though people, grab a Blackstar, Spectra (IrishBoy's weapon of choice, his buds speak for themselves if there were any questions) or listen to SOTF420 and grab a Lumigrow. I'm sure I'd be better off with a 160 or whatever the small Lumigrow is rather than this 357 whatever they call it. Guess what the company that makes Cammie's lights did? after I told them I didn't want their light as it only pulled 148W instead of the 378W they told me it would they told me my measuring equipment was faulty! really? and you fu$ks know this how? you snuck into my house when I went out and tested it? or you just know? from halfway across the world? shitsticks! I used more than 5 different power draw meters which all said the same thing! (within a -/+4W discrepancy) guess all that tech was wrong aswell? but they went one step further... after I returned the light in order to get my cash back from paypal they have sent it back to me requesting I send it back using a different "service" as the one was apparently not up to scratch according to Chinese customs!!! what a load of sh-t! Chinese customs??? you mean those corrupt pieces of sh|t that will let a suitcase nuke into the country for US$100? OK... sure they said that. Funny thing is, paypal WILL give me a refund (as starting legal action is less than the AUS$130 postage for the light and my cousin was just made a QC... funny that... timing) and their light will be stuck here until they figure out how to send me the $ to send it back then I get play the "oh I can't find any company to send it back and your money fell out of my pocket" game. Now I've had my rant I'll let you good people go. Remember!!! Don't trust any company if it's called Eshinesystems, 357 whatever or HGL. I know from experience, and the $1100 I've wasted is testament to this. I'm the idiot you learn from. In all seriousness people look at it that way. I'm the overcashed, under-researched dickhead you laugh at and learn from! I must also thank my very understanding mrs who has put up with all my monetary misadventures... as she says "as long as you keep the bud coming honey, spend whatever you want!" I'm a lucky f%ck! thank god I make a decent income or she may well not be so nice about it!

Last edited:

cjk

interesting. so is the light above the same lights that hgl has coming out as the gen x series? i can't believe it only pulled 148 watts as one good thing about hgl is the people using them here were showing power usage equivalent to what is advertised...

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Mountain Monkey - you might try subscribing to Lumigrow's newsletter. I bought my ES330 last year right around Halloween when they had a big sale on them. I paid $999 for a new, not refurbished, 330. I don't know if they are going to make it an annual event, but it is worth keeping an eye on their newsletter.

Rives... your breaking my heart mate... if only... honestly if the same were to be offered again I'd jump on it and sell this thing, dead set I'd drop it in a second. Would an ES330 cover a 1.2MX1.2M area sufficiently? I ask as I'm going to have to run this 357majig in a new tent of that size and from looking at it I'm guessing I'll have to run another 2 130Wfluoros on top of the 2 I already have as this light is piss weak. If an ES330 could cover that I'd be set. I am trying to look at the upside to all this and that is that when I decide this thing has paid itself off (awhile......) I'll rip most of it's innerd out and keep what I want and replace the rest with Cree and other higher powered LEDs and find a driver set that will push the 3W LEDs to almost full output, screw the lifespan I want performance. If I halve the lifespan it's still a good 5 years of use. Also, once I get a decent camera or figure out how to take the pics I'll show what 357 call true 3W diodes... they're using 3 in one diodes... at least on my unit. Website says 19lbs weight, mine weighs 11lbs and I questioned them on it and got a bullshit auto response email congratulating me on having a "state of the art, 357W LED growlight" customer service huh? my ass. Cheeky pricks. I've asked others and I've had others tell me different things in regards to weight. My unit pulls 210W tehn slowly goes down over around 10 minutes to about 195W then stabilizes. It's just a load of crap really and they don't answer any of my emails. Just another scam co. really. If you want to see who make the lights HGL sell look up Eshinesystems, go to their site and ask about their 126W or 378W model and their you'll find the thing they sent me. Scammers aswell. So how's the Lumi treating you?

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Mountain Monkey - I like the Lumigrow a lot. As SOTF420 suggested, I add a couple of PL-L lamps that I had on hand to round out the spectrum. I don't have any idea if they are really needed - for me, getting the visible light into a spectrum where I can actually see what the hell is going on with the plants is more of a priority. I doubt that a single ES330 would cover the area that you want. I would be tempted to go with multiples of the ES165 instead - it is basically half of the 330, would give you a far more versatile footprint, and is substantially cheaper for some reason. Check the prices at Greners.

SOTF420

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I know I have posted this a few times but the price they post on the lumigrow website is a few hundred more than what you can buy one for from them direct. I think the pricing is higher on the site so they can offer people a discount but trust me if you call or email them they will (or have in the past) taken a few hundred dollars off that price tag. If you buy more than one I'm sure you can get down closer to $1k per unit. Save yourself the bullshit and hassle these really work and they grow very healthy strong plants with fat juicy frosty buds and if they did not I would not use them end of story. I have plenty of HID gear and was a diehard HPS grower but have since switched to LED. Yields are not as high in general because I'm doing smaller grows now but the quality is higher and the Lumigrow 330 is bright enough if you get your tops too close to it you will bleach them white from the intensity so make sure it's at least 12" above them minimum so the different color 5 watt LED chips have space to spread out & mix their light properly. Much love. :canabis:

Some Lumigrown Budshots (unpollinated)

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

SOTF420

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here are some 5 week (since 12/12 began) flowering plants in soil from seed, you know the strain. This is a pic from my seedrun and these were totally pollinated as well, all grown under Lumigrow LED lights. ;)

picture.php

I recommend one Lumigrow ES330 per 3 x 3 for veg and with slightly less coverage for flowering as a stand alone light just because plants are bigger by then and you have to raise the light up so you will lose some penetration on the outside edges but I still got good bud development down nearly 2 feet deep in the canopy and top colas were at least 15" long and very full and dense. I used T5 striplights like the sunblaster or sunblaze models in 6500k on the ends of my tent and they can link together and use very little power each and give off very little heat. They really seem to really round out the overall spectrum of LED and they have a nice little spectral bump at 740 nm (far red) which is useful in the bloom stage of Cannabis plants and many others. This set-up in a growlab tent as pictured can really give you some nice big frosty buds no doubt! :canabis:

I've just ordered a growlab 1.2mx1.2 which I belive is 4x4 in your measuremnets. I have seen these 50W plasma lamps at hydrohut which I'm thinking of running, one on each side of that wretched 357 I was stupid enough to buy. I hope that will be enough and if not I'll grab 2 150W MH (those tiny little ones!) and have one either side of it. Significantly more than using the 50W plasma lamps but a known quantity and reliable. Still it'll be a total of only 380-450W total including centrifugal fan. Not a bad number really. I would grab the plasmas in a second if anyone could attest to their quality and efficiency but I'm having trouble finding anyone who has used them. Supposedly give off a lot of RF also which is something I want to avoid at all costs.