What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

LED FAQ) Building and DIY

CoCoSativas

HI Dion. Thanks for inviting me here.

Have you heard of the kind led? If so oppinion?

If not could you take a look and see if its worth spending the money or if I should consider a lumigrow at half the price?

Unless you can recommend a good led for a 4x4, I can hopefully pull about a pound (or 450 grams if you weigh metric)

Im looking at either a kind, lumigrow or a bml spyder. They all cost the same (fuck me in the wallet), have excellent par output. The shop talkid me into a kind, but if any here have experiences with these lights please let me know

Dion

HI Dion. Thanks for inviting me here.

Have you heard of the kind led? If so oppinion?

If not could you take a look and see if its worth spending the money or if I should consider a lumigrow at half the price?

Unless you can recommend a good led for a 4x4, I can hopefully pull about a pound (or 450 grams if you weigh metric)

Im looking at either a kind, lumigrow or a bml spyder. They all cost the same (fuck me in the wallet), have excellent par output. The shop talkid me into a kind, but if any here have experiences with these lights please let me know

this is a thread for DIY led fixtures- the best value for $ and the best led growlight you can have right now

i replied to your questions on your wall

good luck

Dion

Ok so first thanks for the quick reply. As for a specific driver I haven't really looked yet. Right now I'm trying to decide if I want to build a COB led, buy a mars hydro 300w old style or build a CFL setup using a bunch of 23w bulbs. So for the driver , if I understand it correctly I need one that runs at the minimum of the combined volts of the series of cobs, example would be if they are 12v each cob, to run 3 I would need a driver that can do 36v. Is this right? Do I also need to look for combined amps too?

From what I've read on the 3070s is that people say not to run them over 60w for best performance. Even if I ran them at 80w it would cost me close to $100 on just the cobs when I could get the 6 2530s for$50-60. SO for me the only way the 2530s would be more to build is if I had to buy a driver for each chip.

Right now I'm just trying to find out as much as I can and while I can do all the labor, as in once I have all the right pieces I'll have no problem getting it together. Its all the numbers and technical stuff that I don't understand and obviously need to figure out before I start doing anything. So any and all help would be appreciated.

12v series driver etc? yes that is correct: in series the current( mA) doesnt split so eg 3 x cxa2530s= 1 x 120ish v @ 800mA

or you can wire in parelel( split the current) and use a driver that is 40v and 2400mA

you really need to pay attention to binning of those cobs though:watts is not = to light output thsi is the specs with the u2 binning

i wouldnt run the 3070s higher than 60w for sure
i reallly enjoy the technical stuff so ask anything you like- i wont have all the answers but ill let you know if thats the case

what size is your canopy?
what binning are you looking at?

Last edited:

Browneyes1888

@dion hi mate im looking at buying 8 or 10 cxa3070 to replace a 600w hps
just wondering if i could run them all on one driver? or atleast if i had to use mutliple drivers get them all on one plug
not great with electircs so excuse my ignorance lol

Dion

@dion hi mate im looking at buying 8 or 10 cxa3070 to replace a 600w hps
just wondering if i could run them all on one driver? or atleast if i had to use mutliple drivers get them all on one plug
not great with electircs so excuse my ignorance lol

yes and yes

i advise not doing it that way as explained in the intro guide

read the electrical design post please

Dion

cool dion and thank u for fast reply:)
just at work right now so will read it asap mate:)

no worries mate

basically i u want to make it simple(er) to build right?

but doing it that way will make it harder to trouble shoot/fix and actually connecting all those wires is a nightmare

id consider building 4-5 panels with 2 chips on each(1 driver per panel)

then plugging them into a extension power cord thingy with a fuse switch thing on it then plug that into the timer

you CAN run everything off 1 driver BUT those drivers cost an arm and 2 legs so.... its not my style

i prefer to use multiple smaller(total cost cheaper) drivers and have a few spares if one burns out(yet to happen to the chinese ones i buy)

just remember the 3 step plan to diy led

in this order
choose chips
choose drivers
choose heat sinks

Browneyes1888

no worries mate

just remember the 3 step plan to diy led

in this order
choose chips
choose drivers
choose heat sinks

gotcha buddy!
the chips im looking at are ure usual cxa3070 here
http://uk.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...4Prknbu83y0bObCPMgyC/l6eQby5L/DGQDb9TViwpOg==

was going to buy 10 of those
so im looking to run those at 1.5 split between 2 panels so 5 in eahc panel
so i would need a driver that can run@1.5a x5 37v would mean 185v
any ideas?:p

on the heat sink part would prefer 5 cobs on each heat sink in a sort of rectangle heatsink
i seen a kit on a site which looked good but prob not good enough for these cobs
i like the whole heat sink enclosure thing tho! makes everything look nice rather than ummm diyish:p:p
http://www.rapidled.com/premium-enclosures/

Dion

gotcha buddy!
the chips im looking at are ure usual cxa3070 here
http://uk.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...4Prknbu83y0bObCPMgyC/l6eQby5L/DGQDb9TViwpOg==

was going to buy 10 of those
so im looking to run those at 1.5 split between 2 panels so 5 in eahc panel
so i would need a driver that can run@1.5a x5 37v would mean 185v
any ideas?:p

on the heat sink part would prefer 5 cobs on each heat sink in a sort of rectangle heatsink
i seen a kit on a site which looked good but prob not good enough for these cobs
i like the whole heat sink enclosure thing tho! makes everything look nice rather than ummm diyish:p:p
http://www.rapidled.com/premium-enclosures/

ok firstly dont go with mouser for the chips

http://www.digikey.co.uk/product-search/en?KeyWords=cxb 3070&WT.z_header=search_go

this is what you want) its the 2nd gen 3070 and better binning than the ones you linked plus its cheaper) they have free shippng on ordersover 50 but you will have to pay taxes

i dont driver shop for peeps- the ones i linked in the intro are the best value for $ to europe that i found( days of searching)
if u find one u can link it and ill check the specs before you buy

boxes i woudlnt because things will just get hot inside- you could get a box like an alu tool box etc but you will need to cut holes for air intake etc
rapid costs hundreds to ship international- ask them you will see- the most cost effective way is pc coolers
but i like bars too lol
yes you need a driver that can push 180ish v @ 1.5A
or if you wire parelel than 40v @ 7.5A

dunno where to buy- look for meanwell if you wanna pay
look around the forums see what peeps are using

Last edited:
Hey Dion, great thread!! I am in the process of building a light. I was going to use Bridgelux although I agree with Cree being top of the line. I just figured its a must to run a Meanwell driver. Anyway to cut cost is great! It seems that building with quality will cost you a dollar a watt, which is peanuts compared to a Kind unit.

I am starting to notice Cobs with Epi and Bridgelux as far as 50 watts with the E27 socket. If I'm not mistaken the CRI on these is 85 which sounds like it's in the sweet spot. What are your thoughts on those? Also with a 70 dollar price point has me super curious. You can buy a 4 way socket splitter and boom 200 watts, one electric cord and no wires. Seems like it could be beneficial to a newer grower.

Dion

Hey Dion, great thread!! I am in the process of building a light. I was going to use Bridgelux although I agree with Cree being top of the line. I just figured its a must to run a Meanwell driver. Anyway to cut cost is great! It seems that building with quality will cost you a dollar a watt, which is peanuts compared to a Kind unit.

I am starting to notice Cobs with Epi and Bridgelux as far as 50 watts with the E27 socket. If I'm not mistaken the CRI on these is 85 which sounds like it's in the sweet spot. What are your thoughts on those? Also with a 70 dollar price point has me super curious. You can buy a 4 way socket splitter and boom 200 watts, one electric cord and no wires. Seems like it could be beneficial to a newer grower.

ive not seen those- i suspect it will not be actually 50w(50w equivalent perhaps?)can u link it?

70 dollars is what i pay to make one with top of the line binning cree cobs and efficiency by custom current so

depending on what they actually r it could be a good way to go for noobs

but i cant say- link please?

I can't get the friggin link to transfer. I hate computers.

It's a 50 watt epi or Bridelux (your choice) cob. You can get e40 or e27 sockets. It's 100-110 watts/lm and 80 CRI. You chose your light angle45,60,90,120. I would just take the damn thing off. Yes this is @ Ali so I'm sure the driver inside and other mechs are Chinese. The bottom line for me would be the quality of the chip like you mentioned. Unfortunately you don't know the bin level and such. Yet still it's a quality chip regardless. Oh yeah they will make a 100 for you!!?? If it's legit I'm all in for supplemental lighting. Just seems like it would be real clean. Although I would feel like a total noob using bulbs again. But fuck it man that's what it's all about, tinkering with new shit. Sometimes you can strike gold especially if you have a project tent to do a little trial and error.

Thanks again for the amazing thread. Ve learned quite a bit more in just the past 24 hours thank so you Dion!!

Thanks
Grass

Oysters

What is your technique for applying thermal grease to COBs? Searching around, I've seen every recommendation from dots to lines to X's to thin film all over but little by way of consensus. I'm using holders on Arctic 64s.

REALSTYLES

been researching diy leds for months - dion's is the best tutorial so far in explaining drivers imho
in my research , ive found a supplier for crees at very affordable prices; 35% lower and better instock rates than mouser or digikey - kingbrite.cn

yes they are on alibaba , but the best method is to holla at jerry
the usa rep can be contacted at jl@kingbrite.cn
it still makes cents to use the 3070's because the good bin 3590s are very rare and command a premium , if you can get them from kb, they are still 20$ cheaper than digi/mouse but thats the thing , you aint getting em unless you are lucky. like dion said , you want 3590s? wait till cree's nextgen chips (12-18 months?) , then you might can find them.
You mean like the ones I have CXB3590 3000k CB bin I made this panel last night while making a tutorial video on how I make them here's a pic of my 8 cob 413watt Cree CXB3590 with Meanwell HLG-185H-C700B drivers the b version you can manually dim

picture.php

REALSTYLES

Also mention my name to Jerry and he'll take care of you and when or if you buy from Kingbrite please use paypal so you will be protected. Not saying Jerry is a crook but some people are leery buy from someone they don't know. I'm waiting on some CXB3590 3500k.

Cob is definitely a glimpse of what's to come in the future of grow lights. I think everybody apart of this thread is gonna make it happen! This is good shit.

COB!!!

Dion

What is your technique for applying thermal grease to COBs? Searching around, I've seen every recommendation from dots to lines to X's to thin film all over but little by way of consensus. I'm using holders on Arctic 64s.

not saying its the best but what i do is apply it on and smudge it all over then i get a razor/ruler and scrape as much as i can off
then i put it on the sink and press(have your cob holder on for this or make an led press as you dont wanna touch the egg) and slide up about 2 mm

this way i know the grease totally covers 100% of the board BUT
is is not so thick that it will hinder heat transfer- remember your heat sink transfers heat better than the grease but the grease is better than air so just fill the air gaps

Dion

Also mention my name to Jerry and he'll take care of you and when or if you buy from Kingbrite please use paypal so you will be protected. Not saying Jerry is a crook but some people are leery buy from someone they don't know. I'm waiting on some CXB3590 3500k.

i really dont like this seller being on this thread because noobs dont know what they r looking for and i dont want them being taken advatage of

anyway i went to thier site expecting to find non-binned leds ect

but actiually they dont have led? just lenses?

google search gives links to cxb 3070 ect but when i open it up its gone- did cree shut them down already?
what up with that?

REALSTYLES

i really dont like this seller being on this thread because noobs dont know what they r looking for and i dont want them being taken advatage of

anyway i went to thier site expecting to find non-binned leds ect

but actiually they dont have led? just lenses?

google search gives links to cxb 3070 ect but when i open it up its gone- did cree shut them down already?
what up with that?
You have it wrong there is 2 different companies Kingbrite and Kingbright who was having trouble with Cree. Here's the link http://kingbriteopto.en.alibaba.com/company_profile.html#top-nav-bar. I've bought 100 3590 cobs from them so far and waiting on my other order of 32

Latest posts

Latest posts