What's new

LED and BUD QUALITY

JKD

Veteran
What about this Snakedope?
1669685695662.jpeg

[Maschinenhaus]

^ From LED manufacturer Valoya. A strongly research based cannabis growing ‘optimised sunlight’ spectrum.
Closely follows the same recommendations as Bugbee.

This is one of the professional lamps I mentioned. Modules with extra control to set desired spectra for medical cannabis or commercial cultivation of plants.

For small areas too expensive and complex, so we have copied such a lamp, with Bridgelux Thrive and Osram diodes, 2 channels etc.

The Bridgelux Thrive will be replaced by Seoul SunLike diodes with Osram and Citizen. I am currently waiting for boards that I have to pick up from customs. These 55mm x55mm boards are actually intended for aquariums, but in conjunction with COB LED probably do a good job with cannabis?

snakedope

What about this Snakedope?
View attachment 18786383

JKD I love ya man, seems like u are the only sane person here haha
Really hard to know from pics, even though it looks nice and frosty.

Charles, your buds looks beautiful, as they should under LEDs, I feel for ya about the potancy issue, this problem won't go away soon.
Washed up genetics that is been grown with poor intensity lights, and to make things worse, most people dimm them ! Never go to a 100% as they are too "strong" haha
LEDs are there for a reason, they push them hard on the public for a reason...
These light take everything that's good and make it bad, this light is not good for our eyes, our dna, our MEDS grow medicore with it.
Nice plants, lame meds.

Reactions: JKD

snakedope

You need to understand that all your spectrum research has no merit in it if you don't couple it with the strength to drive it.
Lame HPS proved this for almost 50 years.
Our reality is 1 big source which makes all wavetypes and drive them very strong in order to create this equal ppfd map at our eye level.
But there is order in things.
When u fire a gun the bullet can be 1001 shapes (spectrum) but behind every bullet you have gun powder (strength of source) to push it, no other way around it, every bullet has it.
Put less, it will fly less, put more and it will fly more.
Sure you can try to outsmart this with bullet design (different wavelengths) but to a limit, because the main factor will always be the qty of the gun powder.

Delta, you are right in your ppfd claims, I never said you are wrong, but you are still missing the point here.

I don't dispute the fact that when added up you make more light from LEDs then HIDs,
Because you can add light density, ppfd.
But you can't add light intensity, not by adding another gun with the same qty of gun powder next to it.

I'm repeating it (even though I said I'd stop - sorry Cropslover ;) for those who want true knowledge and won't fall for modern voodoo doctors who don't love when reality screw with their theories and papers.

Grow what you want with what you want, share knowledge and love, nothing here is personal.

Godspeed.

Reactions: JKD

[Maschinenhaus]

I'm repeating it (even though I said I'd stop - sorry Cropslover ;) for those who want true knowledge and won't fall for modern voodoo doctors who don't love when reality screw with their theories and papers.
What are you referring to?

To the statement that LEDs produce jitter at certain frequencies, which animals and plants perceive and can also be dangerous for humans?

Or are you referring to the researchers who criticize Bruce Bugbee?

That the red-blue systems have a much lower overall Lm/W ratio and that for the DLI other wavelengths are also important and decisive?

Too much power for dope

The ongoing legalization of cannabis in the U.S. has an unexpected downside: Because the plants are grown primarily inside warehouses, they consume as much energy as data centers. Yet simply replacing traditional light bulbs with energy-saving or LED bulbs is still the simplest task.

Professional cannabis growers should also consider the wavelengths of light emitted by LED lamps, says Tessa Pocock of Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI). That's because they have an impact on plant growth, she says. Pocock is currently studying how the prevailing wavelengths of illumination alter the active compounds in what RPI calls "medicinal plants," according to a press release.

There are other reasons why not every LED lamp is suitable. Bruce Bugbee recently published a study showing that LED lamps from some manufacturers - Hydrogrow or Lumigrow, for example - are only half as energy efficient as those from others. That is, their photon flux per joule of energy expended is only half as great. In addition, LED lamps are still significantly more expensive than other lamps of the same efficiency.

I know the merits of CMH and LEP lamps for indoor cannabis cultivation. But I also think that LED will one day replace these lamps completely, without sacrificing the criticized points.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
These light take everything that's good and make it bad, this light is not good for our eyes, our dna, our MEDS grow medicore with it.
Nice plants, lame meds.
i'm new to led's, actually first grow, but have been growing for 20 odd years, almost all of them under hid's , and the last few with cmh... in that time we have grown many/many diff seeds and only once did we grow what i would consider an elite/ass-kickin weed... and it was from a buck..maybe 2buck nirvana knockoff of jack herer...jock horror... my point is without that 'special' seed, whether u grow with led/cmh/hid/the sun, the weed will be mediocre

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran

this deserves it's own thread.

this paper compares hps light and led light in regard to cannabis production.

the results show leds produced higher cannabinoid levels than hps.

it also explores the relationships between ratios of RGB in white light.

and the effect on both morphology and cannabinoid production.

the led lights used in this study came from the valoya co. in finland. thank you jkd for the reference to them.

valoya developed its lights while working with research institutions.

Charles Dankens

JKD I love ya man, seems like u are the only sane person here haha
Really hard to know from pics, even though it looks nice and frosty.

Charles, your buds looks beautiful, as they should under LEDs, I feel for ya about the potancy issue, this problem won't go away soon.
Washed up genetics that is been grown with poor intensity lights, and to make things worse, most people dimm them ! Never go to a 100% as they are too "strong" haha
LEDs are there for a reason, they push them hard on the public for a reason...
Nice plants, lame meds.
Sloppily made assumptions, like those stated above, throw all of your blabber into question

Last edited:

snakedope

Ok then, question, find answers, and come back to us.
High words don't mean nothing to us sir
Please stick to the subject, and bring info and science, cuz you saying that I'm blabbering is not really matter here or there.

[Maschinenhaus]

We've wallowed in the mud enough now, please let's get back to the topic at hand.

I am very keen to have a dialogue about the pros and cons of CMH vs. LED in cannabis cultivation.

Who among you can make confident statements about the male/female ratio under CMH vs. LED? One reason why I use CMH (LEC) in cultivation is the slightly better ratio of female plants. I also use only regular seeds for fun consumption.

Even when I use heating mats I feel the radiant heat from CMH (LEC) or even MH, plasma results in more female plants.

Another point would be the reduction of light hours in the vegetative phase to a maximum of 14h, but I think that now leads too far away from the actual topic?

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
not sure if anyone will agree with me... but... whether it be hid/led/cmh/plasma... whatever... IF (big if) you live in great growing area... hawaii/north callie/etc ... and grow outside , i don't think there is any lite that can compete and grow comparable weed... there is just something about outdoor weed that can't be dublicated

[Maschinenhaus]

My observations with CMH (LEC) and LED are as follows:

Airier, larger flowers, an early onset of odor in young plants, and good growing room/tent temperatures (CMH-LEC).

From the effect I imagine that the same variety from a batch is softer, smoother. From the analyses I know that certain terpenes are sometimes better under LED and sometimes under CMH-LEC, it coincides with comparisons to plasma vs. LED.

With LED are often a little more total d9-THC to find, THCV, CBC, CBD, CBG, etc., vary in each case, but not so much that a lighting technique would be decisive.

With LED with intense UV, there are reports of more resin trim and significantly different, more intense terpenes. In fact, I personally find the odor of plants to be milder under CMH_LEC, but more balanced overall than with LED.

I actually statistically have slightly more female plants under CMH-LEC, just under 9% compared to LED (High CRI at 97 CRI).

For LED modules I recommend CreScience from Munich-Germany and there an individually configured system like the Ranger 700 or 900 based on FLUXstrip Grow LED Bars 5,000 Kelvin.

5000k-Spektrum.svg

Alternative possibilities ->

FLUXstrip

FLUXstrip Enhanced

Nichia UV

Bridgelux Thrive 4.000 Kelvin 97 CRI

a6b7f0b7-85cc-4ae2-a389-81ece7c27e20vCYllYULYGSl3q4QUpFniYiK7onhvth1bBxJ09x4.jpeg

Seoul SUNlike

Last edited:

bloyd

Veteran
Interesting. I would have expected cmh to produce a bit more thc than led. Was the par same for both lighting?

I was surprised by how large of increase in cannabinoids from led sources in this study under controlled ppfd.

Three Berries

Another thing to consider is the quality of the LEDs between various LED fixtures. I've got some cheap 65w ones that seem to cause light burn more than other lights I use. I've got some 50 W full spectrum cobs that are pink color and plants love them. I use them for aux light and as heaters.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts