What's new

LED and BUD QUALITY

snakedope

why do you always think that this is a waste? narrow-minded only looking at the light. light and heat are inseparable... what matters is the heat generated by the light source... this heat generates energy in every single cell. you know that from the sun... when you go out of the dark into the sunlight and kiss your bare skin... the energy of the warmth that attaches to the light energy. light waves and heat waves... they are 2 parameters that supply living cells with energy.
+1
I like your comments, keep it coming.
I didn't mean the 30% heat is bad or something, I just said in terms of light and ppfd values, a 400 hps is pushing heat in high ratios, you can use this heat of course and it is needed more then we think.
plants have a special gene for this... arp6 it is anchored in the dna of every plant. it controls many mechanisms that are of enormous importance for flowering... subsequently for the success of the harvest. Incidentally, I was able to determine it myself only recently... LED makes stems without heads... they are ready... but the heads don't grow... the heat waves attached in the right proportion are missing.
At least someone is noticing the headless stems that LED make... people are starting to say I'm crazy.
annual plants, which include cannabis... overwinter as seeds. this is the only way these plants can survive... they die to be reborn. the time to start flowering is of enormous importance for you... so it is only logical that the plants have made this topic a bit more complex for themselves... only the light intensity, the right spectrum, the right duration... but also the right attached warmth of the light. this together is crucial for a complete success... without the plant being irritated by something missing.

how do we want to have the squinting only at the light intensity and duration right? lamps that deliver the best yield in terms of quantity and quality... will be those that not only deliver the greatest values on paper...but also have the right ratio of light and heat waves.

Plants that were under led and got the light and heat effects of the neighboring sodium lamp...they had heads on their stems...perfectly normal trichomes. remember... light and heat are inseparable... and obviously the warmth of the environment is not enough... it has to be heat from the light source.
❤️
So whats the conclusion here should i dust off the DE's or keep rolling with the sammy 301's?
Dust off the DE, you won't look back.

What’s PSB? My soil grown plants under LED severely lack terps, and I need to find out why.
Change to CMH/HPS.
I wonder if adding a few t5ho 3' lamps with Aquarium coral bulbs or Reptile UV bulbs in between your bars would pump up the Terps?
No it won't, you must have intensity.
Add a 250/400 hps for better results.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
here are some more "headless, underdeveloped trichomes for you!

Everyone else here has shown pics of their plants.

it's your turn now! put up or shut up!

http://www.bio21.bas.bg/ippg/bg/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/99_3-4_03-16.pdf

light stress is real. your ignorance is real!

in the pic below, what are all the white round things?

editing to say that this is "rare lemonhead" and i grew it under a diy led light

Attachments

• IMG_1380 (2).JPG
    IMG_1380 (2).JPG
    747.2 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
i can understand you not believing me as i am just an old pothead.

but for you to assault the integrity of one of the most respected plant scientists in the world, Dr. Bruce Bugbee, is beyond belief!

do you really think you know more about plants than he does?

[Maschinenhaus]

Now Bugbee has criticized Lydon on several occasions. His criticism of Lydon is wrong several times. This is now the second video I've seen of him making this mistake. He should read more the literature and reviews of US researchers who have written their doctoral theses on cannabis, do intensive research on cannabis and post less on youtube.

This is how Schmid writes:

There are studies that show that certain wavelengths reduce terpenes by 100%, others increase them, and so on.

The most widespread misunderstanding, which can still be read from time to time in recent studies, is that the two different absorption spectra of chlorophyl a & b are responsible for the different action spectrum of the two photosystems. However, the investigations on this subject came to nothing because the absorption beyond <700nm could not be explained.

Today we know that chlorophylls behave differently in the leaf than in the test tube, and that the solution in acetone etc. damages the chlorophyll molecule. 2-4 nearby molecules can interconnect (di-, tri- or tetramer) to allow an exciton an excitation site/state far outside, thus dark red wavelengths are then captured and with the additional phononic energy contribution then moved to chemical work.

With the green wavelengths one suspects this also, here the data situation is however less strongly sown. There are several theories which are not even mutually exclusive.

There are many indications that the Far-Red range would have to be subdivided even further, because the far dark red 730nm to 780nm acts rather slowly and weakly on the photosynthetic rate, but unfortunately more on the phytochrome and near dark red 680nm to 720nm more strongly and also phytochrome-neutral.

Empirical tests are always such a thing. Often, the general conditions determine the result.

And always only Bruce Bugbee trouble, instead of studying other researchers, the far more intensivean Cannabis Sativa research, is just also not the right way to discuss as a layman!

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
Now Bugbee has criticized Lydon on several occasions. His criticism of Lydon is wrong several times. This is now the second video I've seen of him making this mistake. He should read more the literature and reviews of US researchers who have written their doctoral theses on cannabis, do intensive research on cannabis and post less on youtube.

This is how Schmid writes:

There are studies that show that certain wavelengths reduce terpenes by 100%, others increase them, and so on.

The most widespread misunderstanding, which can still be read from time to time in recent studies, is that the two different absorption spectra of chlorophyl a & b are responsible for the different action spectrum of the two photosystems. However, the investigations on this subject came to nothing because the absorption beyond <700nm could not be explained.

Today we know that chlorophylls behave differently in the leaf than in the test tube, and that the solution in acetone etc. damages the chlorophyll molecule. 2-4 nearby molecules can interconnect (di-, tri- or tetramer) to allow an exciton an excitation site/state far outside, thus dark red wavelengths are then captured and with the additional phononic energy contribution then moved to chemical work.

With the green wavelengths one suspects this also, here the data situation is however less strongly sown. There are several theories which are not even mutually exclusive.

There are many indications that the Far-Red range would have to be subdivided even further, because the far dark red 730nm to 780nm acts rather slowly and weakly on the photosynthetic rate, but unfortunately more on the phytochrome and near dark red 680nm to 720nm more strongly and also phytochrome-neutral.

Empirical tests are always such a thing. Often, the general conditions determine the result.

And always only Bruce Bugbee trouble, instead of studying other researchers, the far more intensivean Cannabis Sativa research, is just also not the right way to discuss as a layman!
i agree bugbee's work is flawed but so is everyone else's.

you can't find a perfect research paper.

"There are studies that show that certain wavelengths reduce terpenes by 100%, others increase them, and so on."

could you please provide links to these studies? i am reading a lot in the area of terpene development and preservation right now.

snakedope is refuting basic physics, he thinks light has density.

light has no mass and therefore no density.

his theory on hps power would have us assume some magical force heretofore unknown to man is propelling light.

Last edited:

FletchF.Fletch

420club
It's like the Owner of some fancy French Estate Vineyard bashing pictures of everyone else's Homebrewed beer and wine. Except nobody has seen one photo from this guy. Please Master, tell us more.

[Maschinenhaus]

could you please provide links to these studies? i am reading a lot in the area of terpene development and preservation right now.

I think he got it from here and did his own experiments with it, among other things?

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
@maschinenhaus

i've read both of these before and just scanned them again and they don't contain information on wavelengths reducing or increasing terpenes.

[Maschinenhaus]

Thank you for the link.

My last LED I built is 4 modules of 120W each, it delivers up to 1,144 µmol/s to the square meter.

These are normal COB mixed with SMD, no near UV and just some 730nm to match it with the range around 640nm to 680nm.

Currently, when I'm bored, I'm still building a 1,000mm beam with a maximum of 320W, also COB and PCB mixed from scraps and with a limit of 200€.

I then see what the differences will be to CMH, once with adjusted red range and once just standard 4,000K LED.

The good boards with near UV are currently exorbitantly expensive in Germany and have long delivery times. You pay over 50€ for a 3W SMD and the comparisons with CMH where a little near UV-A is emitted, suggest that you can do without it.

The best and cheapest way to build a good LED lamp is currently with 500mm Bridgelux Thrive SMD strips that can also be high current if necessary?

What the new SUNlike, Osram and Nichia will deliver must be seen?

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
The oscillations that occur with LED's are caused by the AC power supply. Since led's are all DC current i would like to build an all DC current array. Does anyone know what the DC current requirements are?

editing to clarify that i mean to use a dc power supply.

Last edited:

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
The oscillations that occur with LED's are caused by the AC power supply. Since led's are all DC current i would like to build an all DC current array. Does anyone know what the DC current requirements are?

editing to clarify that i mean to use a dc power supply.
i have done some more reading and found that modern leds use a dc power supply that does not transfer the ac oscillations to the diode.

apparently, the old ones did.

so with a 50 hertz ac supply the old diodes would only be on 50% of the time. i thought i had some room to play with efficiency but it looks like everybody beat me to it.

a long time ago!

hillbil

LEDs are certainly the most efficient light source out there. And they make very excellent buds. No contest or real controversy any longer.

Latest posts

Latest posts