What's new

LED and BUD QUALITY

Rocket Soul

I think its somewhat strain to strain. We had an excellent amnesia haze about 5 years ago, grew great under hps and led, but side by side led buds were bigger and smellier. Then had a fairly shitty mandarine cut which never did any good under leds.
The benefits in hid lights is that theres a good coverage of the whole spectrum, even if its minimal light in some parts theres usually some, which means theres allways at least some thing to minimally tickle every photodependant gene. Too hot and inefficient the down side.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
I didnt say you cant get good quality with leds.
Also those are terps if your ChemD dosent have hard punch in the face chemical glue smell its not grown to perfection by my thinking...And I never have that solvents smell with Leds.
Just this year growed at least 4 identical cuttings in hid and led setups.
And never led smell as pungent as Hids.

Led weed is pungent also that you dont mean that it dosent smell. But never as close to hid pungency.
i am a newbie with led's... my 2nd run... but smell... does not equal potency...

CannaT

starin' at the world through my rearview
Premium user
I think its somewhat strain to strain. We had an excellent amnesia haze about 5 years ago, grew great under hps and led, but side by side led buds were bigger and smellier. Then had a fairly shitty mandarine cut which never did any good under leds.
The benefits in hid lights is that theres a good coverage of the whole spectrum, even if its minimal light in some parts theres usually some, which means theres allways at least some thing to minimally tickle every photodependant gene. Too hot and inefficient the down side.
My expirience that Leds have better terpene spectrum but lack of alchocols,and sulphure compounds.
Jack herer under leds have undertone of mushrooms that I never had under hids.
Hid grown have undertone of varnish real chemical smell like.
Also is with bubblegum cut under leds it have better terps but lack glue/garlic chemical pungency
Bruce Banger under led is so sweet and real candy terps with kush lemony terps.
But it lack of that glue/diesel like smell hid grown had it.
White widow also have that diesely funk under hids and with led its not present. Led have much better that famous white widow sweet muskyness.
All this smells of glue/freshcutqarlic,varnish,fuel dont last long they last about month or 2 max from harvest and after that hids and leds are equal in pungency and led grown taste better.
But only weed that really rocket lunch me on bordering of bit to much few times a year is a month from harvest proper grown hid flower.
Its cuz with terps you also inhale alchocol vapours and great amount of sulphure compounds.
Those compounds are "poisonus" to your body like psycholicibin from mushrooms(for example not as strong or that 2 chemicals are related)and can make halucinations and bit of trippy expirence
Eat some garlic or great amount of truffles and you will see that you will feel bit of high and will crave sweets after just like after potent high.

I have now hps/led the same cuts I mentioned above and will se the difference.

Last edited:

Hiddenjems

its not the smell, or the look, its whether it gets u to the place u wanta be...there is a lot more then thc that makes good weed...
Some of the chemicals that produce odors also have input on the effects.

It’s also fair to say most cannabis users can visually identify potent weed compared to low potency weed. If one flower is covered with trichomes and another is leafy fluff with no trichomes in sight it’s an easy pick.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
It’s also fair to say most cannabis users can visually identify potent weed compared to low potency weed. If one flower is covered with trichomes and another is leafy fluff with no trichomes in sight it’s an easy pick.
sorry i disagree... we bought some weed in maui that looked like 'travis green', and that ain't a good look... the shit was ass-kickin... so while i would agree with ya most times, there r times where shit looks like shit but in a good way

Hiddenjems

As far as known drug cannabis i can tell before I chop a batch down it’s approximate potency by just looking at it with a magnifier.

You can’t tell me a piece of plant material I can’t rip open and find any trichomes on is going to get me high.

CannaT

Premium user
signal-2023-09-28-21-59-30-190-1.jpg

Bruce Banger under Cree leds.

Brother Nature

As far as known drug cannabis i can tell before I chop a batch down it’s approximate potency by just looking at it with a magnifier.

You can’t tell me a piece of plant material I can’t rip open and find any trichomes on is going to get me high.
I respectfully disagree. I've recently grown a pheno of a Zkittles that had everything to it aside from a high. Looked beautiful, covered in rich fully milky trichomes at harvest, maybe 10-15% amber, classic dank weed stank to her and I can't even give the shit away. It's the most bizarre plant I've grown to date though, the other pheno in that batch is a heavy and debilitating stone and this one just does nothing. I've run her twice just to confirm and she was the same the second time around. I also grew her under a cmh so I know it wasn't the LED's either. Perhaps it was a cbd focused plant or something else, but based on looks and smell alone, she should have been dank and it just wasn't the case. She was also a very good yielder too.

This is her at day 51
full

CannaT

Premium user

I agree with most of your post @CannaT but Psilocybin is certainly not poisonous to your body.

It's more like an antidote.

Also, when these sulfur/highly volatile alcohols have gassed off and the bud is cured, they are still not comparable in my book, led vs hid. Hooch vs single malt bro

:smoker:
Old Alchemists say that everything is poison just mesure makes the cure.
😉👍
Those higly volatile compounds are not resrched at all in Canna world.
I found only 1 resrch on this topic and it was not something in deep.
When I smell them in buds in high amount thats the only way I know I will smoke straight fire.
And I have never saw led buds with high amount of it.

Last edited:

exoticrobotic

I ran Capt Krypts Abusive x Bubba which incidentally was straight fiiiiiire with intense rotting onion smells on chop.

Ran it again under old samsung chip leds and it was a shadow of its former self in high and smells.

The bud yield was greater with leds vs hids but less quality resin created overall was my experience.