What's new

leafs turning yellowish on top of plants

D

dunkybones

Congrats Rocket, you are back on track. EC stands for electrical conductivity, it is the same thing as ppm, which stands for parts per million, the scales are different, like celcius vs. fahrenheit. I'm a yankee, and I use ppm. Absolutely pure water won't conduct electricity, don't know why, but it doesn't. Dirty water will, salty water will. If you had pure water, distilled or r/o, it would have the electrical conductivity of zip, nada, zero, big goose egg. As you add your new, wonderful canna nutes, which are made of salts, not table salt, but salts nonetheless, the EC will rise. The more you add, the higher it gets. If you add to much, add more water, diluting your nutes, and down it goes. If I add 10ml each of a & b, I will get about 700 ppm, or in celcius, about 1.0 ec. So ec is a measure of how potent your nute solution is, simple as that. As for your specific meter, most meters have to be calibrated, just like your pH pen, where you by calibrated solutions that are always the same, and thus 'tell' your little cumbersome unit what's what. My BlueLab brand meter doesn't have to have the ppm/ec wand calibrated, I don't know why, the pH wand does. My old Milwaukee meter had to be calibrated for both, but the old green machine kept dieing, so I tried the BlueLab. If you want to get goofy, like I do, you can measure the ec/ppm/pH of all sorts of stuff, soda pop, tap water (which you should be measuring anyway), beer, milk, etc...

And for further clarification, ec/ppm is a measure of only dissolved solids, floating things don't count.

ScrubNinja

Grow like nobody is watching
Veteran
Okay here is my take on things.

Get your water, dechlorinate it if it's tap water, put the sensor of the EC meter into the water. It will tell you how much salt is in there. Salt conducts electricity in water so it reads the Electrical Conductivity (EC) of the water and it's different from PPM, don't even think about PPM.

The level will probably be between zero, and say 0.5 maybe higher, (higher is bad). With my nutes, and those plants, I would be thinking around 1.3 EC is what to aim for as the final mixed level. If the original (clean) EC of your water alone is 0, then mix in nutes until the meter says 1.3, or higher is fine. If it's higher, then mix water in to dilute it and it will lower the EC.

If your original clean water measured say, 0.3 EC, then you would need to add less nutes to get to your 1.3 target. You would only have to raise it by 1.0, get what I mean? Think of the target EC as the most salt/food a plant wants. So it's often beneficial to have a lower EC water to begin with, because then the whole salt limit is made up of the nutes you added, not random stuff. Hope that helps.

to be on the safe side start with an EC of 1.8 or 18 depending on if the meter is 10x measurement Craven chime in if you would please with your EC levels

She has a Hanna EC tester, and wasted the liquid for it trying to calibrate it, i have no clue how to calibrate one myself, from reading the instructions in the picts i am assuming you multiply the 2 digits by 100, but she says the screw driver will not allow her to raise the number to 10, do you guys know what number would be the one to calibrate this thing?, i told her my guess is that it should read "5" with this liquid which is 5000, could i be wrong becuase i am not clear on what all this really is.

The PH tester was easy to set up, but looks GREEK to me.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-01-20 at 12.41.01 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2010-01-20 at 12.41.01 PM.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 12
  • Screen shot 2010-01-20 at 12.41.06 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2010-01-20 at 12.41.06 PM.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 13
  • Screen shot 2010-01-20 at 12.41.52 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2010-01-20 at 12.41.52 PM.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Screen shot 2010-01-20 at 12.41.59 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-01-20 at 12.41.59 PM.png
    278.3 KB · Views: 14
Ok the guy at the store told her to fallow the chart and set the number with the screw driver to the temperature of the room at that moment... thats all on the little bag of liquid your supposed to use to calibrate it., the bag itself is the matching liquid for that specific tester, i personally do not understand what the 1, 2, 3, 4 types are for, at first i assumed they reflected hydro, coco, organic etc, but its all Greek to me.

As with the PH, you just set the number up and bam, done, so i doubt anyone can understand why people have to multiply, check temperature, then fallow a chart, but i guess she did it by now at the store,

PIE

Sorry missed the photos.Having never used this sort of pen i can only suggest either poppin in the shop she bought it from or contacting HANNA. the srew thing sounds strange to me but like i say both my pens are horticare, easy to calibrate but u do need to do it at least once a week.the down side is i only trust them for a year or about 4 grows.I suppose you get what you pay for.
Nice to see the plants have picked up . Canna all the way/
dont know if you can get any info here.

www.hannainst.co.uk/

Sorry missed the photos.Having never used this sort of pen i can only suggest either poppin in the shop she bought it from or contacting HANNA. the srew thing sounds strange to me but like i say both my pens are horticare, easy to calibrate but u do need to do it at least once a week.the down side is i only trust them for a year or about 4 grows.I suppose you get what you pay for.
Nice to see the plants have picked up . Canna all the way/
dont know if you can get any info here.

www.hannainst.co.uk/
you only need to set the henna up once a year

PIE

had did you go getting your friends EC pen sorted? Is she getting the correct readings.?More to the point how do the plants look?

i guess, she says she set it up, then she makes sure it does not go above 1.5 or 5.0 with the canna nutes, i am not sure what reading it should show myself., do you know, it shows digits of 0.0, nothing beyond that, yur supposed to multiply them by 100., ic ant see how accurate one can get with this if EC has to be a accurate thing.

PIE

You need to be very accurate with the EC readings of your feed. It helps to know how much feed your plant will take ,but this comes with trial and error. An easy uncomplicated rule of thumb.Seadlings/Small cuttings keep at 1.2EC Small plants in veg 1.5EC and once in flower 1.8EC this of course is just a rough guide,Some growers will slowley raise the EC throughout the grow rather than jumping from 1.2 to 1.5 but its all down to personal preferance.be warned a rise to high to early could result in discolouring of the leaves.My current plants are being feed a nutriant solution with an EC of 2.0 This is as high as i go! something to consider when you menstioned 5.0. Dont times anything by 100 if your pen measures in EC just stay within the range i mentioned.Always better to aire on the side of caution when adding yor A + B or any other nutes, you can always add more but you cant take it out once its in there. Good luck once again n tell your friend she lucky to have a pal like you.

wow i thought people had to go by the nutrient readings no?, like on the CANNA bottle it says to keep it at a certain EC, do correct me if i am wrong.

Have you been on the canna web page and had a look at the coco feeding schedual?
This topic was started for a friend who is in Spain, she has been using canna now for a few weeks, all good, she does fallow some chart she got from the shop.

i am gonna do a DWC

Latest posts

Latest posts