What's new

leafs turning yellowish on top of plants

Hey everyone

A friend sent fotos of a few plants that where clones, put in a homebox Xs, uses coco and under a 250 watt florescent light on 18 hours a day, the environment was perfect, 75 degrees, nice breeze and all with a fan, could not be more greener,

Later when they got around 2 to 3 feet he put in a very large space (home built room, 7x7 feet, under a 400 watt HPS, fan again but still 18 hours until they get a bit bigger.

At first it was hard to tell from the photographs if the plants where soaking the light (reflecting it) or if they actually looked yellowish on top, now i got better pictures from her and i wanted to share them with you all for advise to see whether they are sick fed wrong.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-01-06 at 4.27.08 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2010-01-06 at 4.27.08 PM.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Screen shot 2010-01-06 at 4.27.15 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2010-01-06 at 4.27.15 PM.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Screen shot 2010-01-06 at 4.27.02 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2010-01-06 at 4.27.02 PM.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 12
  • lowasis3
    lowasis3
    114.4 KB · Views: 26

PoopyTeaBags

State Liscensed Care Giver/Patient, Assistant Trai
Veteran
need to get better pictures... hps pictures suck and the one that i could see y ellow tops all i see is reflection off the leafes.... cant tell if they green or yellow....

need to get better pictures... hps pictures suck and the one that i could see y ellow tops all i see is reflection off the leafes.... cant tell if they green or yellow....
Well thanks for the response, and your right, its hard to tell, but they are all yellow on top from what she says... its oie they are growing in like that.

PH is at 5.8 according to her...

lets say they are yellow, literally growing in that color instead of green as before, what could be causing this and the spots on the other plant?

PS, ill ask her to take more pictures with the plants in the small white veggie room since it is mch more clear.

resinryder

Rubbing my glands together
Veteran
Are you using a cal/mag type additive? What ppm/ec are you running? Are any of the leaves in the middle of the plant yellowing as well?

Cheers resinryder,

Only the top of the plants new layers are yellowish, it is as if they are the same color as the light, its why we can not tell from the photos under the HPS.

She just told me that she uses a multi medium based nute, for coco, earth and hydro, and the main 2 larger plants are in a auto pot set up., so the nutes are in the 47 gallon tank with a air pump and stone bubbling while the light hours are running to keep it fresh., but she has been manually feeding them every other day to keep the coco moist.

PoopyTeaBags

State Liscensed Care Giver/Patient, Assistant Trai
Veteran
well the only expeirence i have with yellow leaves is in the ez cl oner i wont ph water till i get roots... if i get lazy and dont ph after theyve had roots for a while the tops turn yellow... other then then i have no personal espierence with yellow tops and 5.8 ph isnt high so unless theres a salt build up or something thats throwing the ph off them im not sure....

D

dunkybones

Looks to me like the plants are getting a little over fed, maybe because they soak up the runoff in those trays they're in. I've had similar problems in the past, yellow new growth and spotty old growth. Do a run through test, if the numbers coming out the bottom are higher than what you put in the top, they've accumulted excess nutes. Personally, I fix that not by flushing with water, but by flushing with med/low strength nute, give the plant time to drink up at least half of that weight (a day or two?), and then do it again. Any heavy damage won't fully recover, but new growth should be green, and parts of the plant that weren't hit too hard should spring back.

If I got it backwards, and the flush test shows lower numbers, then they are under fed.

I got the new photos from her, you can see how yellow they are.

She says she putting Ph'd water (no nutes ) now, has been for the last few days i guess., maybe they will recover in the next few days with only water.

The last photo is that Moby Dick plant which had spots, loks like its doing a bit better back inside the small Homebox XS veggie room, i also suspect that at some point during the night it gets cold in that flowering room and her heater does not do a great job.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-01-08 at 10.55.11 AM.jpg
    Screen shot 2010-01-08 at 10.55.11 AM.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Screen shot 2010-01-08 at 10.55.33 AM.jpg
    Screen shot 2010-01-08 at 10.55.33 AM.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Screen shot 2010-01-08 at 10.55.23 AM.png
    Screen shot 2010-01-08 at 10.55.23 AM.png
    692.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Screen shot 2010-01-08 at 10.56.00 AM.jpg
    Screen shot 2010-01-08 at 10.56.00 AM.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 10
BTW, her friend went to see the room and suggested not to use the powerplant 400watt HPS!, instead, a 500 watt round white vegetation bulb, sort of like her other 250watt florescent., and in the last 2 days the plants turned green again.

Because of the fact that other plants where also turning yellow and now are happy under white light again it turned out that it was not salt building up on the autopots, over feeding or PH level as some suggested but the HPS light been too strong.

The powerplant 400 watt HPS have more lumens, i am curious now if anyone else experienced this.

Neoangelo

I have the same problem growing in coco and i'm using the same square black 1 gallon pots..My ph is about 5.8-6.0 and my runoff is about 6.0.I'm also not sure whats wrong..i'm using Supernatural Brand Grow Aqua Nutes...If you find out whats going on with your plants let me know..maybe we can work together and find out what is causing this..

Bunz

Is she supplementing cal-mag? If not she needs to. Coco is a cal-mag hog. Get your calcium & mag numbers straight & I bet the problem takes care of itself.....

mellomel

BE GOOD OR BE GOOD AT IT!
ICMag Donor
we use coco and experience this yellowing occasionally...we add a cal/mag additive and it improves with in days...i'd suggest this as it's coming from the new growth like you say...also contact Autopotking, as they have had many grows with this system and my husband said they might have some good tips for her. Also what strength nutes were they getting? As they look hungry to us.

rrog

Veteran
I'm using two types of coco. A coarse Sunleaves and a super chunk re-hydrated from a coco brick. I soaked the brick in boiling water for a few hours then drained. Rinsed and drained. The goal was to reduce Na, but wondering if the high K in coco remained higher. That would explain what I'm seeing:
IMG_1516.jpg

Looks like Zinc deficiency. There's distinct veining, which I understand can happen when K is too high. Also, I've recently added some amendments that are high in K. Not realizing that the coco may already be high in K.

I plan to do a CalMag flush.

mellomel

BE GOOD OR BE GOOD AT IT!
ICMag Donor
It must be so confusing for you, it seems everyone agrees to some kind of deficiency...I reckon ya best overall bet is that they are just hungry. I really wish you all the best in solving the issue. Goodluck;)

we use coco and experience this yellowing occasionally...we add a cal/mag additive and it improves with in days...i'd suggest this as it's coming from the new growth like you say...also contact Autopotking, as they have had many grows with this system and my husband said they might have some good tips for her. Also what strength nutes were they getting? As they look hungry to us.
Cal/Mag, if i only knew what that was, sorry can you explain, iam new to this myself and posted for a friend.

Goggle and search buttons are your friends.
cal/mg could mean other things besides nutrients which i never heard anyone use... would you rather say nutes?

hahahah, just heard from her, she says the nutrients she uses are called ADVANCED HYDROPONICS of HOLLAND, lol, so i was like duh, hydroponics????? u kidding, its coco!

AH-PHdownbloom.jpg
by the way she used grow not bloom, but the same ordeal lol