What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Lazy Growing

TML16

Snow Grower ~OGA~
Veteran
I finally get to jump in at the beginning of one of your fine threads GMT :wave:

I can appreciate the lazy, laid back approach to growing. Trying to master the art of patience myself. Always go weed speed :sasmokin:

You could start a travelling circus with all those freaks :pointlaug :chin:

Should be an educational thread...keep up the good work :yes:

G

:wave: Hey GMT you got me hook line and sinker with the title of this thread. :woohoo: I guess I would be considered a lazy grower too.

I can't wait to see how this goes. :woohoo: I am going to subsscribe to this thread for sure!!!!

GCG

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Hi TML, good to have you here from the start of this one. I'm really lazy when it comes to growing, no nutes, no measurements of anything, I just watch and listen to the plants.
GCG, yeah I put a bit of thought into the title of this one. In evolution, I concentrated on the tri project a little, now I'm returning to that project, but I'm concentrating on my methods more than the plants this time around. Lets see if you are as lazy as me lol.

Last edited:
LOL GMT. No I still have the patience. Just from the way you posted about waiting for roots was like you were going to do something fancy to check them. I get it now. Thanks MGJ too :wave: .

Alex-F

Traktor driver
Veteran
Well at least I hope we get it together one day :bat:

Never heard of Malberinos :chin: I was bummed about missing the Blockhead freebie so that'd be real cool!

Just updated my thread, have a gander :D

slang

Hmmmm. I'm following all along. Curious as to what you average yields are per plant. If they're good, then why all these people evoking all this science to grow plants. I'm into my third crop without much satisfaction but I keep going. Peas.

Oh yeah (on edit), I just started some clones to follow along. Never had any success with that. Let's see. Indica bag weed as my seed collection went dank on me in the heat (I guess) down here.

Last edited:

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Bonecarver, I edited my signature to include the evolution thread.
DP, yeah its lazy growing, not fancy growing lol.
Hi Alex, guess another of those conversations I thought I had had but hadn't hey lol. The Malberinos are malowi gold x blueberryxwhite widow as far as I can make out. And I have 4 blockheads, I sprouted one but the leaves looked a little sattish so I killed it off, I was too scared lol.
Slang, to be honest I think there are a few reasons as to why the science came about. But these are personal opinions and not a true history. Firstly, if you are grwoing commercially, then hydro is the way to go as you can reuse your mediums with clay pebles etc, and then nutes are necessary as you dont have the soil. Then there are the peolpe who own hydro shops and nute companies trying to sell products, and saying that your products aren't necessary isn't great for business. And then there are the people who see what hydro growers do, and try to emulate those methods in soil. And then there is the fact that I'm happy to admit that using some nutes in flowering, or in veg and flowering if you only have access to poor soil quality, will improve the weight of the final yield. The taste of bud that has not been nuted is superior in my opinion. And my yields are pretty good as far as I'm concerned. But the yield will be influenced more by the strain and grow style than merely the levels of nutes available. The strength of light, airflow etc also play roles in the final weight.
Remember with clones, too much light will put too much of a strain on a non existent root system and kill the clone off. Too much moisture in the soil will prevent the necessity for roots to grow and ultimately rot the stem. Hope thats of some help. If you want to see my yields, click on some of my links and have a look.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
First signs of roots just noticed on that last clone. Wanna see?
If you look very closely at the 3'o'clock drainage hole, you should just see a little root appearing. This is a sucessfull clone. Rooted under a 15w cfl at rounghly 4-5 inches distance, watered once at first planting.

Ugh. That's too easy. Find me a harder method please. JK lol.. That's crazy. So easy, it should be illegal. If only if only if only I had read this FIRST before anything else in my growing experience. Would have saved myself a lot of money on nutrients and other silly equipment for cloning etc. This is what I imagined it was before I knew anything about it. Obviously it works.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Hi DP, yep it's easy, but the trick isn't so much in taking the clone, rather in the distance and intensity of the light source. Although always remember to leeve a little stub where you strip the lower leaves / branches. They are nice points for roots to spring from too.
So that's easy cloneing taken care of. Whats next, topping I guess. I'll show that later, with lots of nice pics too as I've already done some posts on topping before.

Last edited:
I FIM'ed all my plants and only 3 or 4 of 7 actually exploded into 3+ shoots. Some didn't take at all. I think I will start topping from now on like you mentioned as it's a lot more stable.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
I've just copy and pasted this post from my Part time thread. I will do the topping exercise in real time too in this thread, but for now, just one I did before so you can see what the aims are.

The second pic below is a nice point to remove the first bud

Then let new buds grow

Once there is a nice double set of leaves, top both new buds again

Of course this can be repeated as many times as you want

Some people prefer LST, but I think the weaker support stucture that that provides, restricts the final hual, even though it would probably still be bigger than normal single cola harvests (per plant).

I like the way that plants topped heavily grow as you can see in this pic.

I'll show pics of this being done with clones next, but that will be the real time bit I told you about, as that's what I'm working with at the moment. The above topping exercise was done from seed.

Last edited:
you top as little as 2 week old seedlings? I always thought that was a big no no to top at such a young age. People have seriously FUBAR'd how easy/simple growing ganja is. Obviously I can see success in topping young. Very nice work. That shrub you have there looks a lot like the LST i have done. Here's a pic of one of my old crops:

Mr GreenJeans

Sat Cat
Veteran
Hiya GMT! :wave:
Nice tutorial on topping! I also top early - at either 2nd or 3rd node. Lst has it's place though, another lazy man technique... :chin:

DP - For me the worry is if you get a bit of die back after the cut - happens every once in a while especially with my bonsai material - if there are no nodes below what dies back the plant is lost. Or at least that's my thinkin... I think the 4-5 nodes recommendation is conservative but not a hard and fast rule.

Last edited:

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Hmm maybe my layout or explanation wasn't as thourough as I thought. The second to last pic is of LSTing, the last pic is Topping. I posted them to show the difference. I dont really go on age, but development as most develop at different rates. Nice shrub there DP.
Hi MGJ,
I really don't like LST, I just think it leeves a really week stem and that a thicker stem of the type topping produces, is more able to transfer the nutes from the roots to the buds. Have you ever seen die back ocuur past a nodal point? It makes sense for a plant to die back to a nodal point, as if there is nothing to sustain past that point, what is the point in sustaining that plant matter. But I haven't ever seen a die back ocuur past a nodal point that has healthy branches growing from it. Have you? As if you have, I'll rethink starting at such a low node in the future.

S

Space Ghost

hey GMT, nice thread, I like your style...

I think the term you were looking for is (forgive the spelling) worled phylotaxy

Thanks for the shrub props. I really didn't know what I was doing, but I tied the hell out of that thing to get it that way lol. I think maybe 2nd or 3rd node is probably when I'll start topping now though. Thanks for clarifying on the technique guys.

Delta9-THC

from the mists and the shadows .... there you wil
Veteran
Im here¬! Finally

Im here¬! Finally

Hi there GMT sorry to be a little late finding this : )

lovely Lazy Growing ...isnt that what its all about lol

Much love and respect to you man

OH,
and bonecarver gmt is neither jumpy nor aggressive ....

Peace :joint:

Last edited:
I think it was just a mis-communication. To each his own I think is what the message was on both sides. Anyhow - on with some pics. I have forever to wait for my recently switched plants to flower before anything interesting happens.. Wheres the 1 week strain when you need it?

Latest posts

Latest posts