What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Latest and Greatest in Mini-splits, including multi-zone?

bluerock

Mini-splits have become very popular items over the last few years. It is hard to keep up with who has what and how good it is. If anybody has any experience with recent models, I'd like to hear about it.

What I would like to do is install a possibly multi-zone mini-split to cover my living area and a back bedroom. This is in a single wide trailer. I have also considered putting the outside unit under the skirting...but I am not sure if that would be feasible.

Home Depot has multi-zone Gree units. Any comments on these?

I also definitely need low-ambient outside temperature capability.

It is no problem to have it professionally installed as everything is "clean" at the moment.

S

Stonyherbs

Hello bluerock.
This question is right up my alley. From a professionals opinion. I really like the Mitsubishi minisplits. Of all the brands i have installed these have the lowest issues. There are also models that will run to an outdoor ambient of -10. Of course they lose capacity at temps that low but it does quite nice.
I know there are cheaper units out there but do u want a repairman to have to service the unit while u would rather keep people out?

Also i would not advise putting the condenser under the trailer. Not good for airflow and hard to service should u need to :wave:

Gdood9

Buddy of mine is a hvac tech. He only uses LG. He recommends Mitsubishi, LG, and I believe he said carrier...I know he'll only buy LG and I've used LG systems before and they work great. He put their compressors up in the attic because they're in the mountains and it can get too cold even for low ambient kits. They have a fan hooked up to a Thermostat to ventilate the attic. Mitsubishi is nice but LG is just as good quality at a better price. Go with someone reputable for sure. Stay away from ideal - air and smaller companies like that.

Hvac tech could generally care less what you're doing, they just wanna get paid.

S

Stonyherbs

Thanks for the responses. Anybody mess with the multi-zone units? Or the Gree brand?

Yes i have installed many multizone systems. I find the mitsubishi systems very reliable. (I am not a salesman just a tech who prefers mitsubishi) My only issue with a multi zone system is this. If the condensor goes out then every thing is down. What u might find is that parts are not always available right away to do repairs. With seperate systems you would at least have some rooms working.

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
Yes i have installed many multizone systems. I find the mitsubishi systems very reliable. (I am not a salesman just a tech who prefers mitsubishi) My only issue with a multi zone system is this. If the condensor goes out then every thing is down. What u might find is that parts are not always available right away to do repairs. With seperate systems you would at least have some rooms working.
Some excellent advice right there...

queequeg152

Veteran
if cost is an issue, you should consider a conventional split. yes you can move them if need be.

the slims are awfully expensive... nobody seems to mention this. most of their equipment costs over 1k per ton. i dont doubt the warrenty or quality, its just worth mentioning.

i understand the issues regarding fitting ducxts, but to play devils advocate...

you can get a very handsom 15-16 seer plain Jane single stage system and install a super simple actuated zoning system with a dump somewhere outside your bedroom.

you could also get something like a york TCHD... its basically a poor mans minisplit condenser with a single speed fan and non VFR equipment... its much cheaper and can be paired up with conventional cheap york airhandlers.

york also sells cheapo minisplit cassettes i believe.

snake11

Mitsubishi, Fujitsu, and Daikin are the best most reliable choices. Not the cheapest but you get what you pay for.

snake11

Buddy of mine is a hvac tech. He only uses LG. He recommends Mitsubishi, LG, and I believe he said carrier...I know he'll only buy LG and I've used LG systems before and they work great. He put their compressors up in the attic because they're in the mountains and it can get too cold even for low ambient kits. They have a fan hooked up to a Thermostat to ventilate the attic. Mitsubishi is nice but LG is just as good quality at a better price. Go with someone reputable for sure. Stay away from ideal - air and smaller companies like that.

Hvac tech could generally care less what you're doing, they just wanna get paid.

I'm a former hvac tech for many years. I would stay away from lg. They are made poorly and the support from them is horrible. Getting parts can be a pain too(had to wait 3 weeks for a part, no AC for the customer during that time.) I skip carrier too. Mitsubishi, Fujitsu, and daikin are the most reliable brands. Putting compressors in enclosed areas will make them work a lot harder with less results too.

Gdood9

They've run 2x20k rooms off their lg splits for at least a year and a half now, no problems. And there isn't much of a choice on compressor placement sometimes when it can get between -12° and -20° like we had this winter at points. They've got a few 12 Inch fans up there. I definitely agree Mitsubishi is the best but the premium is a bit steep. A Mitsubishi system is usually 20-30% more expensive than a comparable lg system. I've only used LG mini splits before. Been in rooms with Mitsubishi units and they're definitely nice.

S

Stonyherbs

They've run 2x20k rooms off their lg splits for at least a year and a half now, no problems. And there isn't much of a choice on compressor placement sometimes when it can get between -12° and -20° like we had this winter at points. They've got a few 12 Inch fans up there. I definitely agree Mitsubishi is the best but the premium is a bit steep. A Mitsubishi system is usually 20-30% more expensive than a comparable lg system. I've only used LG mini splits before. Been in rooms with Mitsubishi units and they're definitely nice.

Good to know Gdood9! I will check out LG for my customers.

snake11

Not trying to sound rude but a year and a half is a drop in the bucket. Mini splits should last about twenty years for quality units(not lg). I have worked on over 1000 mini splits and have seen many problems. The brands I stated have the least amount of problems. Glad they are still working for your friends as I had a friends grow house with them(a little over a year old when the main control board went out) who has had nothing but problems.

resinryder

Rubbing my glands together
Veteran
I've got a CREE 30,000btu single head that I've been running about a year now. It cools very well, but it NEVER turns off. All the info I read before the purchase didn't say anything about that. It runs, I think they said, to stop the power draw of stopping and starting making it more efficient. It runs at a higher temp, or recirculates the room air until it detected the need to lower the temp.
Took me a while to get used to that.
Don't get me wrong, it a good unit but I need to see how long it last before I'd recommend it.
I had a 17.500 btu Mitsubishi that ran for about 7 years and wish now I had gone back with another one, but bigger. . Next time I guess.

I have been using the brand Sanyo for several years, one of my favorite benefits of using this brand is the fan is relatively quiet compared to other brands...it seems the more pricer the split system, the more silent the fan runs. I also purchased a significant amount of Gree systems a couple of years ago, I was shocked on the decibel (if sound is a concern, I would not suggest this brand). These days, the new installs I will be using is Surna...I'll report back in time with the performance, benefits, and features.

Last edited:

bluerock

Noise is a concern, both inside and outside. I want the quietest unit I can get and have no problem paying up for it.

S

Stonyherbs

Noise is a concern, both inside and outside. I want the quietest unit I can get and have no problem paying up for it.

Ok bluerock heres what you do. Find the mitsubishi dealer. Have one installed. These babys are wisper quiet.
This is not one of those times to try and save a buck. Because you will get what you pay for.
The mitsubishi has a better parts availability than most others should something go wrong.
If u buy a Homedepot unit where will u get parts from? Who will service it?

Just saying theres more involved here than money. Plus reliability of mitsubishi is the best.

I wouldnt want a service man to see my grow room. They might not call the cops but they will tell everyone they were in a grow room. Just saying. Its your money. Its your privacy.

resinryder

Rubbing my glands together
Veteran
Not really a high rate of sound with my CREE. About the same as the Mitsubishi I had at the compressor. Indoor head is relativity quite
Would still recommend the Mitsubishi tho!

Gdood9

I think everybody here has said to go with Mitsubishi even if they use a different brand so I think you have your answer.

prune

Veteran
A few critical points to consider with multi-zone units is how the individual head units share the compressor, as some will claim precedence and leave other rooms with insufficient cooling.

Another hidden nicety with the better units are the fully programmable remote controls that they come with, you would be surprised how limited the cheap remotes can be, and how expensive it can be to put them right...

Latest posts

Latest posts