What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Latest and Greatest in Mini-splits, including multi-zone?

Resinable

I've used mini splits and haven't been happy with air distribution. Anybody have experience with high efficiency inverter compressors paired with more traditional air handlers (ducted with stronger blowers)? Trying to cool 20 gravitas+ co2 burners+dehueys with ten tons.

S

Stonyherbs

I've used mini splits and haven't been happy with air distribution. Anybody have experience with high efficiency inverter compressors paired with more traditional air handlers (ducted with stronger blowers)? Trying to cool 20 gravitas+ co2 burners+dehueys with ten tons.

I agree Resinable. Mini splits dont distribute air very well in a room full of plants. But supplemental fans properly placed would help.

As for using the inverter with a traditional airhandler. Most if not all mini splits require the inside head and remote to communicate with.

Just my 2 cents.

Resinable

Thanks for the reply Stonyherbs. I was actually thinking about something different from a traditional mini split; many manufactures (Daiken ect) make inverter units with traditional air handlers. Also others like mitsubishi make"cassette" units that can be ducted. Just wondering if anyone out there has any experience with them? I can't see running a non inverter unit: but I want to duct the air. Also I've heard about traditional mini splits with so called oversize air handlers but am having trouble finding them on line?

Or if I had to get a non inverter ducted split system I'd like to hear recommendations?

snake11

Thanks for the reply Stonyherbs. I was actually thinking about something different from a traditional mini split; many manufactures (Daiken ect) make inverter units with traditional air handlers. Also others like mitsubishi make"cassette" units that can be ducted. Just wondering if anyone out there has any experience with them? I can't see running a non inverter unit: but I want to duct the air. Also I've heard about traditional mini splits with so called oversize air handlers but am having trouble finding them on line?

Or if I had to get a non inverter ducted split system I'd like to hear recommendations?

I've serviced both ducted and cassette units by Fujitsu and Mitsubishi. They didn't blow any harder they were just more out of sight. More of a pain to work on too. Maybe consider a standard AC/air handler with variable speed motors in both units. It won't be quite as efficient and more chance of light leaks through duct work then mini splits.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
would a 24k BTU be too much for a 12 x 12 room with 3kw lights with another 2kw equipment. I was looking at this 1. I noticed some say heat pump? Are they all heat pumps?
I don't need 1 that also heats. Just cooling is needed.
Mitsubishi MY-GE24NA

S

Stonyherbs

I've serviced both ducted and cassette units by Fujitsu and Mitsubishi. They didn't blow any harder they were just more out of sight. More of a pain to work on too. Maybe consider a standard AC/air handler with variable speed motors in both units. It won't be quite as efficient and more chance of light leaks through duct work then mini splits.

Well said snake11.

bluerock

Just saying theres more involved here than money. Plus reliability of mitsubishi is the best.

I wouldnt want a service man to see my grow room. They might not call the cops but they will tell everyone they were in a grow room. Just saying. Its your money. Its your privacy.

Thanks, but not worried about HVAC tech because this is an "electronic equipment repair room". You get a lot of PLC/computers going, it takes some cooling. Ain't a trace of anything suspicious, no problem.

queequeg152

Veteran

mitsubishi makes a unit called the city multi... smallest unit is a 6 ton.

they can operate with centralized air handlers, or with traditional cassetts. the larger units can be speced with water cooled condensing units as well. very expensive.

far as i know this is the only condensing unit with VRF equipment available in residential 240vac. Daikins VRF equipment has never made it to the us last i checked(some time 2015). could be wrong though.

Asslover

Veteran
Florida grower here. Myself and all my friends use nothing but Mitsubishi's. I myself use three of them. Summers down here are brutal. The Mitsu's never skip a beat. NEVER.:tiphat:

bluerock

Thanks for the input, I'll probably go with Mitsubishi as I am not the type that likes to save money on off-brands.

the gnome

Veteran
i'm in florida and summers heat are no joke.
I have a mistsu for reliability.
think about it in these terms.... mid summer, 4 wks in bloom and your AC takes a dump.
your hvac tells ya it'll be a few wks to get the part.
with whats riding on the line you do not skimp on $1200,
you get a quality mini split with a proven track
record.
talking to the local mistu hvac,
after install he said the 99% of the recalls he gets are for dirty filters or plugged condensate lines

florida is the lightening capital of N America
a well placed strike could take out my AC.
thinking about that i decided to get a back up unit + went with the 24K-btu friedrich breeze with the self connect line set.
if your running a room 10x10 or larger
the added cost of a quality AC opposed to the financial loss of crop will make a grown man cry
thinking why he didn't spend more the a quality mini split

queequeg152

Veteran
btw, i learned a week or so back... that its possible to use a full sized regular high static pressure air handler with the 3 and 4 ton minisplits... and possibly the 2 tons. these air handlers can use various media air cleaners with ease... meaning very very good air filtration down to sub pollen grain sizes. its no where near hepa, but its great for allergies and dust and shit. also can handle shit like carbon and PCO units.

ive no clue what the details are... but this is the best of both worlds imho a full vfd condenser + a fully variable speed air handler will simply be a dehumidifying beast... i wish i could afford such equipment for my home.